done reading end of faith..so who did sam harris vote for???
Posted: 04 January 2007 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-12-13

hey everyone, so i finished this book rather quickly, because it was hard to put down.  Aside from some of the difficult abstract concepts Harris presented in his book (especially the last chapter) I thought it was a great book.  So I have several q's about the book but the one that sticks out right now is, does anyone know what Harri's political leanings are?  It's blatantly obvious he didn't vote for Bush and most likely isn't conservative.  He does seem to imply in his book though that he supports the Iraq war…and the use of torture.  Would be curious to see who who votes for in elections. Any help be appreciated.  thanks.

Posted: 05 January 2007 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2006-12-14
[quote author=“bhome83”]hey everyone, so i finished this book rather quickly, because it was hard to put down.  Aside from some of the difficult abstract concepts Harris presented in his book (especially the last chapter) I thought it was a great book.  So I have several q’s about the book but the one that sticks out right now is, does anyone know what Harri’s political leanings are?  It’s blatantly obvious he didn’t vote for Bush and most likely isn’t conservative.  He does seem to imply in his book though that he supports the Iraq war…and the use of torture.  Would be curious to see who who votes for in elections. Any help be appreciated.  thanks.

Harris doesn’t support the Iraq war, though he did/does support the war in Afghanistan.

That he -ever- supports torture does not mean he supports the use of torture by this administration. He is open to the idea that there are instances where torture is justified.

One of his goals with the End of Faith is to reform the liberal position, so that we don’t need our religious nuts to fight their religious nuts. Given that, it seems likely he would have voted for Gore over Bush, and Kerry over Bush. He may well live in a district which is sufficiently Blue that he cast his vote for a third party candidate.

Posted: 05 January 2007 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

He did write a scathing editorial a while back critizing those who believe in alternate theories on what exactly happend and lead up to the terrorist attacks on Sep. 11. I must say that is one issue we disagree on.

I tried to find the original op-ed piece, but it wasn’t available, but here’s a comment from pundit Marty Kaplan about it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-kaplan/atheists-for-cheney_b_29691.html

I’m sure there’s a thread on the forums that might have the Harris piece.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 06 January 2007 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-01-06

I believe in an interview he said he voted for GWB out of support for the middle east work he’s doing against radical islam.

Posted: 06 January 2007 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2006-10-18
[quote author=“PURE,POWERFUL,THINKER”]I believe in an interview he said he voted for GWB out of support for the middle east work he’s doing against radical islam.

This sounds funny to me, like it doesn’t belong.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed