Payback Time for Liberal Bias on PBS!
Posted: 01 May 2005 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Research proves what we've been saying for the last 1000 years! PBS is completely bent toward the liberal point of view. We're talking about public money aggressively advocating only one point of view.

The best thing about this…."Without the knowledge of his board, the chairman, Kenneth Y. Tomlinson, contracted last year with an outside consultant to keep track of the guests' political leanings on one program, "Now With Bill Moyers." (ah ha!)

Let's hope that 50% of the programming is conservative, otherwise, lets stop funding PBS. If it is my tax dollars, I certainly want a channel that is balanced and fair.

Just between us, ever watch the Tavis Smiley show or other talk shows on PBS…..hugely liberal point of view, thank God the early morning call in shows allow both points of view, but we need more balance than that. All we're asking (again, here we go) is a fair shake in the media. Just give us a fair shake and be fair and balanced in your treatment of Bush. Is that too much to ask?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/02/arts/television/02public.html?ex=1272686400&en=4e1a4fc43fa3d5db&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 02 May 2005 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2005-02-24

. It used to be the law that if a broadcasting station allowed the viewpoint of one side in a political debate to be expressed, it had to provide free time for the other side to express its views. This was called the Fairness Doctrine. It was the Republican president Reagan who got rid of it. So now the Republicans are complaining? There’s an easy remedy. Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.

Guess who won’t do that.

Posted: 02 May 2005 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

We don’t want that…. grin

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 02 May 2005 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

A broad base of information, apparently, is a Liberal bias.  This is actually an accurate assessment.  Liberal thought comes from accepting a variety of viewpoints and weighing them according to their demonstrable value.
The Liberal perspective is not afraid of hearing from other cultures, other ways of viewing the world.  The problem is that Religious folks only want to hear their own ideas parroted back to them.
Before the obvious argument comes back, I’ll point out that we’ve had to hear religious zealots spouting their nonsense for centuries.  They’re tapped—let’s get the new info a platform.

Science is Liberal, then.  So we shouldn’t allow science to get anywhere near the simple-minded, or they may accidentally learn something before they can change the channel to some deranged, exploitive telepreacher whose claim to legitimacy is that he can afford to buy network airtime—which he does by lying to and exploiting his naive, fearful followers.

It is frightening that the wackos on the Right cannot see that Science only seems liberal if you’re so far over the edge that perspective is totally lost.
These people don’t want to learn.  PBS presents 90% of the useful programming on TV, as it offers chances to see scientists and researchers and historians at work.  The argument seems to be that these intelligent, educated people should throw away their pursuits and join the church.
Amazing how, when studies show that college professors are a largely left-leaning group, some sort of bias is suggested.  Well, the bias is this:  people who think and study and research are exposed to many different views and a wide variety of information.  Therefore, they develop open minds and become “Liberal.”

The questioning mind is what has given mankind its modern advantages.  (I should add that the morons who exploit this knowledge without understanding it can be blamed for a fair share of our modern problems.)
The unquestioning mind gave us a nice long era known as the Dark Ages.  Just because you want to live in the dismal past, don’t insist that the rest of us join you.  Your fear of knowledge will be our undoing.
Let’s bring back widespread monasticism, so these people will have a place to be alone with their thoughts and leave the rest of us to move forward.

Posted: 02 May 2005 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I recently saw a PBS program about the 2004 Tsunami, followed by a program about Krakatoa.  Both taught me a lot more about natural phenomena than the “God was punishing the wicked” argument could.

You’ll all be happy to hear that God has rebuilt Krakatoa (on his unchanging Earth) and it will soon be ready to punish more evil Indonesian fishermen.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed