Biblical Nonsense, a review of the bible for doubting,,,
Posted: 02 May 2005 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Just got a copy today of "Biblical Nonsense:  A review of the bible for doubting christians" by Jason Long.  If any of you havnt seen it, it is an all-in-one-place bible debunking, with a good dose of humor thrown in.  Not a deep tome, by any means, it is a ligh, one-evening read. 

Being a Psychologist, he spends some time on a question that has always bothered me, and others on this board, judging by some of the posts.  The question of how the christians can continue to deny absolutly overwhelming evidence supporting modern scientific positions on evolution, and the overall history of this planet.  He believes it is due to conditioning!  Brainwashing from birth.

One example:  Let's say an omnipotent, omniscient God suddenly decended from the sky, and started performing miracles all over the place.  Whatever anyone asked him to do, he did.  Raised the dead, parted waters, etc..  Someone asked him what the "true" religion was, and he says:  "Islam!  The Koran is my holy word, and only those who believe in it will have life eternal!"

The authors position is that a huge percentage of the fundies would reject this god, thinking he was really satan tempting them.  IN SPITE OF THE EVIDENCE OF THEIR OWN SENSES!!

Another point is that christianity is dying out, and I agree with him.  Science is taking it's toll among the young, before they are fully infected with the conditioning of their elders.

Enjoy, if you dont already know about the book.

Pete

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 02 May 2005 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“hampsteadpete”]Another point is that christianity is dying out, and I agree with him.  Science is taking it’s toll among the young, before they are fully infected with the conditioning of their elders.

“A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”
—Maxwell Planck

Posted: 02 May 2005 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Hey hampsteadpete, you say you think Christianity is dieing? Well, there are opposing view on that. Others say it is thriving. Guess we’ll know in 20 years. grin

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44083

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 05 May 2005 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Hey hampsteadpete, you say you think Christianity is dieing? Well, there are opposing view on that. Others say it is thriving. Guess we’ll know in 20 years. grin

Yes, I saw this.  I am working towards the time when people will start to finally realize that the whole christian religion is a thing invented out of whole cloth, and 95% of the events described in the bible never happened.  Champ, check out the book I mentioned above.  If you dont want to buy a copy, I’ll send you one.  When I acquire books by Kennedy, or other apoligists, yes, I read them ALL, I make sure that not a dime goes to support their ministries, and I would expect you to do the same.

So, if you want to do a little reading about what is new about your religion, let me know & I’ll see you get a copy. 

This is an edit.  I forgot!  After I posted the topic, I found the authors website, and he has the entire book there, free for the reading.  Here you go, Champ:

Pete

Signature 

Posted: 05 May 2005 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

I predict that The Champ will not be able to risk looking at that book.

The slope would be much too slippery…........once you acknowledge obvious errors, inconsistencies and demonstrated falsehoods in the infallible “instruction manual”, the contention that it is “divinely inspired” by an omniscient God, becomes logically untenable.

If the bible is not the infallible work of God, well………..the slope is not only slippery but also, very , very steep.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 05 May 2005 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2005-02-24

Thanks for posting the website with that book! That’s useful.

Posted: 05 May 2005 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

The slope would be much too slippery…........once you acknowledge obvious errors, inconsistencies and demonstrated falsehoods in the infallible “instruction manual”, the contention that it is “divinely inspired” by an omniscient God, becomes logically untenable.

Wish it were so, my friend, one of the authors points, and I agree, is that nothing, absolutly nothing, will break through the christian conditioning!  The only way to reach them is through the young.  This month’s Nature magazine has a story to that effect as well.

I wasted much time and effort trying to advance evolution among these people, with no success.  No amount of logic will work with them, the conditioning is just too damn deep.

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2005 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2005-06-05

Religious indoctrination of children is, unfortunately, entrenched in all cultures.  Very few of us are lucky enough to escape it.  The disease is established and must run its full course.  This is not necessarily a death sentence for our species, and, in fact, may save us from spiraling population overgrowth.  (We are like bacteria in a petrie dish, after all.)

Signature 

The road of excess leads to the palace of Wisedom
-William Blake, “Proverbs of Hell”

Life, what is it but a dream?
- Lewis Carroll, “A boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

Posted: 06 June 2005 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

The Champ still owes me a doctrinally sound explanation of Genesis.

Nice link, just read it.  I like the psychological explanation.

I also read these two books when I was younger, by accident.  I loved Issac Asimovs science fiction, and got these two books for a present.

The Bible

93 Asimov’s Guide To The Bible, Volume I   Doubleday             1968
99 Asimov’s Guide To The Bible, Volume II   Doubleday             1969

Posted: 16 July 2005 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

You may also be interested in the Skeptics Annotated Bible, Koran, and book of Mormon. All fully searchable and on-line.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Posted: 01 August 2005 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-08-01

Iisbliss
What were some of your questions about Genesis? Maybe I can help?

Posted: 03 February 2006 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2006-01-31

Evolution is not scientific becasue it is not something we can observe.

No, evolution is something you don’t observe. Scientists regularly observe it.

All creation as we see it today was created immediately. That is bibilical.

So absolutely NO new species has EVER, EVER come to existence?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed