Prayer in Schools
Posted: 03 May 2005 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2005-03-12

I think that I'd like to see prayer allowed in schools again. Of course most of the conservative evangelicals believe that it would be their prayers that would be used but since we can't have a government approved or sponsored prayer that would mean that all forms of prayer would have to be legal. I can see it now, Moslems rolling out their prayer rugs, Buddhists chanting the sutras, Wiccans performing a few of the their rites, and dare I say it, a few Satanists doing whatever they do to pay homage to the "Evil One". But I think that my favorite would be the sight and sound of a few Hare Krishnans with their bald heads dancing and chanting their way down the halls,"Hare Hare Hare Krishna".

Signature 

“Every minute we spend oblivious to the value of a minute is a minute of unconsciousness. This isn’t some screwball scheme to latch onto the present moment in time, it’s simply what it means to be awake.”

Posted: 05 May 2005 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

I think you might possibly be on the wrong track here, but I suspect you already know that.

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 06 May 2005 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“JustThis”]I think that I’d like to see prayer allowed in schools again. Of course most of the conservative evangelicals believe that it would be their prayers that would be used but since we can’t have a government approved or sponsored prayer that would mean that all forms of prayer would have to be legal. I can see it now, Moslems rolling out their prayer rugs, Buddhists chanting the sutras, Wiccans performing a few of the their rites, and dare I say it, a few Satanists doing whatever they do to pay homage to the “Evil One”. But I think that my favorite would be the sight and sound of a few Hare Krishnans with their bald heads dancing and chanting their way down the halls,“Hare Hare Hare Krishna”.

I agree that it would probably be amusing if christian fundamentalists were exposed to complete freedom of religious expression in public schools. The picture you paint would show them getting a taste of their own medicine. But it would still be a bad idea, since elementary and high school are notorious for the influence of peer pressure, especially the need to conform and be accepted. It would be a lot to ask a child or teenager to openly express their personal religious beliefs, or even remain faithful to them, when they are in the minority. That is exactly why such expression is prohibited in public institutions. No matter how amusing it might be to you and me, it would be at the expense of the non-christian schoolchildren. They would have to bear the burden, placing a social stigma on themselves.

Posted: 07 May 2005 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2005-03-12

My suggestion was strictly ‘tongue in cheek’.

Signature 

“Every minute we spend oblivious to the value of a minute is a minute of unconsciousness. This isn’t some screwball scheme to latch onto the present moment in time, it’s simply what it means to be awake.”

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed