Madonna of the Underpass
Posted: 04 May 2005 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2004-12-23

In recent weeks there has been discovered here in the concrete wall under a roaring Chicago expressway overpass a collection of cracks and water stains that has gathered crowds of fervent folks.  There are now candles burning, and a picture of the pope (the last one, I think) has been taped up to the concrete wall.  It is claimed that the image on the wall is really the image of Mary, the mother of Jesus.  This was featured on the local news several times last week.  I haven't gotten close enough to see this thing, but from a distance it looks like it could also be an image of a vagina, an object the worshippers could venerate much more constructively.

Posted: 04 May 2005 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

There’s a conflict I’d like to witness:  The Mary worshippers versus the Vagina worshippers.
I would suppose you could clear out a fair number of the former by pointing out the resemblance seen by the latter.  Changes the meaning completely, ironically.
Incidentally, in a rational society, shouldn’t people who make a big deal out of interpreting images in concrete, trees, and tortillas be given free passes to reputable psycholanalysts?

Posted: 05 May 2005 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

Incidentally, in a rational society, shouldn’t people who make a big deal out of interpreting images in concrete, trees, and tortillas be given free passes to reputable psycholanalysts?

You forgot the “images” in the window glass and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I still wonder how you can see an image of someone, not having any clue what they really looked like.

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 08 May 2005 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

There was an hilarious case a few years back in Australia where a shadow cast by a fence post near a beach fell in such a way that, from a distance, it was said to resemble a praying virgin Mary. Somehow this shadow was able to communicate the reason for its appearance - it had come to warn the world that humanity was veering dangerously off track and urgently needed to rediscover the message of jesus.

Needless to say, hoardes of worshippers flocked from all over Oz to witness this apparation and pray for the future of the world. The news media covered it, mainly as a joke, but you got to see what all the fuss was about - s shadow, seen from about 100 meters that could be interpreted to look like a religious statue. They interviewed the devout worshippers, filled with the joy of god, who were certain that this was a sign sent from heaven that we must change our ways.

They interviewed one surfer dude and asked him if he believed. His answer ‘Nah, mate. It’s just a bloody fence post. I just came to see all these crazies, now I’m off surfing…’

It takes all types.

Posted: 16 May 2005 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2004-12-23

it IS a vagina! it is the passage of life! something that needs to be entered whether by penis or by cell implanter - good observation! grin (lol)

Posted: 17 May 2005 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

The Catholic Church encouraged this behavior for centuries (Fatima, Lourdes).  Now they seem embarrassed by it.

‹‹ John Hagee      Help me follow scripture. ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed