9 of 13
The Dawkins Delusion
Posted: 21 January 2007 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1241
Joined  2006-11-05

He was not my idea; someone else concoted him, just like other people conconcted god, who also does not exist.

Than who did?

Posted: 21 January 2007 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-05

He was not my idea; someone else concoted him, just like other people conconcted god, who also does not exist.

Than who did?

Posted: 21 January 2007 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-05

Than who did?

Posted: 21 January 2007 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2006-12-04

Bad_Conduct,

We will never know who concocted God. All we can know is that whoever did, already held a patent on the Collection Plate.

Posted: 22 January 2007 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

[quote author=“Bad_Conduct”]

Then who did?

Since history is not told correctly, I guess we’ll never know. :D

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 22 January 2007 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Than who did?

That should be:
Then who did?

The answer would be that Steve concocted the idea of god. Steve was the first modern human to have a name, and right after he established his name he quickly became the first modern human to have an agent. It was Steve’s agent who suggested he find a gig that gave him more credibility and thus more marketability, so Steve came up with the idea of a god. It was just a god of making shelled fruits and nuts fall from trees onto rocks so they’d break open though, so Steve’s agent soon went after new talent and the god race began.

What ... surely you didn’t expect a reasonable answer to such an absurd question!?

Oh, pardon me ... the question was who concocted the Flying Spaghetti Monster. After 12,000+ years of the god race the real One True God(tm), the Flying decided to reveal himself to a physics grad student named Bobby Henderson—because the god race had just gotten too sociointellectually retrograde and generally religiostupidified.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 22 January 2007 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2007-01-18

Bad_Conduct wrote:

Than who did?

This is strictly an ad hominum attack/observation, and SkepticX pointed this out, and perhaps there is an ounce of validity to the question, but it’s a question that cannot be answered… and there’s the key; CANNOT be answered. Unlike the question; is there a god(s)? - which again, is a perfectly legitimate question, fortunately we, as atheists have perfectly rational answers to this question about our lack of belief in such a deity (i.e. specific theories concerning the forming the of universe that does NOT require a supernatural being for its existence… “daughter universe theory”, specific historical evidences that do a very good job of discrediting the existence of specific god(s) because of “combined allegory” theory, and so on). However, unless a scribe, and it would be best if not only multiple scribes were present at the “birth” of god(s), but if they also represented wholly differing cultures, was conclusively proved to have written down the account of this start of this supernatural insight (and there’s really no hope of that as the idea of the supernatural, appears by all available evidence, to supersede the beginnings of written language by a far margin), then again, the question (and admittedly I’ve spent far too long answering this specious question) has an air of irrationality about it, as if the questioner is asking it out of desperation to shore up a weak argument (just an observation and I’m only surmising this because of the circular reasoning used throughout the combined weight of his/her argument, but I could be wrong in my inference), to put the negative burden of proof on the one who is not making any claim (which again, is one of the fundamental tenants that atheists represent… a lack of belief). In other words, it falls to the claimant (those that believe) to provide empirical evidences of their claim (and a single book that not only contradicts itself, but one that relies heavily on self interpretation is not an example of empirical evidence).

Posted: 22 January 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-05

but it’s a question that cannot be answered… and there’s the key; CANNOT be answered.

I’m glad you noticed. My question was: Who created the Spaghetti monster? Because my answer was going to be: You know the creator because you obviously believe in creation.

Maybe we could make that a good Godzilla movie.

Unlike the question; is there a god(s)?

You are using God out of context, it’s not plural if you refer to the biblical definition.

There is clearly an intellegence of one sort or another behind the universe. It is obvious because things in life just happen to work out nicely. Maybe not for you… but you don’t believe, so I can’t help you there. Maybe you should consider what your actions really mean to the universe, and not just yourself.

Posted: 22 January 2007 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“Bad_Conduct”]There is clearly an intellegence of one sort or another behind the universe. It is obvious because things in life just happen to work out nicely. Maybe not for you… but you don’t believe, so I can’t help you there. Maybe you should consider what your actions really mean to the universe, and not just yourself.

Intelligence within the universe, not behind.  You’re anthropomorphising the universe.  Do things in life work out nicely when bad things happen to good people for no apparent reason?  When an intelligent 23 year old student develops a brain tumor and is given six year to live at most?  When women are raped and then killed because they were raped, is that how things work out nicely?  That’s how things work out when people adhere to scripture and believe in god.

I do consider what my actions mean to the universe.  But the universe is the universe, not god.  You’re equating atheism with hedonism, trying to portray atheists as compassionless and selfish. No dice.  If anything, atheists care more about life as it is known here and now, and its great value engenders a much more compassionate outlook toward the living.  :mrgreen:

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 22 January 2007 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-05

Intelligence within the universe, not behind.

That’s God.

Do things in life work out nicely when bad things happen to good people for no apparent reason?

For me? Everything happens for a reason. Hence why there is a God.

When an intelligent 23 year old student develops a brain tumor and is given six year to live at most?

Too many chemicles? Over doing drugs? Medication? Perservitives? Parents abusing drugs/alchohal before birth? Radiation? Pollution? Cell phones? Radio waves?

It didn’t just “happen”, there’s an actual reason. You know that, it’s science.

What happeneds if he lives 7 years? What if he lives 40 years? Everyone dies some time. What if his death creates an uprising in medical treatment that cures thousands?

When women are raped and then killed because they were raped, is that how things work out nicely?

I don’t rape people, and no one rapes me. Wrong place, wrong time? Prostitution?

Who’s to say those who rape are never punished? Who’s too say those who are rapped never move on to do great things?

Who’s to say their death caused a change in society? Look how many people have died in America for racism and the balance we have because of it today.

That’s how things work out when people adhere to scripture and believe in god.

That’s how things work out in scripture because that’s how the world works. It’s up to the independent variable to change. The dependent variable (the universe) is a constent. Everyone already knows the results, but if you have nothing to live for, there are no consiquences.

You’re equating atheism with hedonism, trying to portray atheists as compassionless and selfish.

I never said anything close to that. That is a definition you created for yourself based on what I’ve written. If that’s what you feel, maybe that’s what you really are.

If anything, atheists care more about life as it is known here and now, and its great value engenders a much more compassionate outlook toward the living.

That’s not true. You’re on here, typing bullshit about nothing to prove nothing to no one but yourself. When are you going to get up, start preventing rapes, making change and saving lives?

Never. You don’t want too, you have no motivation.

Posted: 22 January 2007 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04

I just realized, BC, that you will convince yourself of anything, even that there’s a good reaason for honor killing.  You make no sense; you simply rearrange the last guy’s sentence and stick a question mark on the end.

You have lost every single argument you’ve ever made on this forum, and you resort to “I know you are, but what am I?” tactics. 

You are so lost and so not worth wasting good time on.  I see you as belonging to the ranks of Pastor Fred Phelps and his ilk.  Why don’t you go ahead and be done with it and join up with them in Topeka? 

At least with me, you have no worth here (or anwhere where rational people are).  Take that step, dude.  Hate freely.  You know you want to.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 22 January 2007 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“Bad_Conduct”]For me? Everything happens for a reason. Hence why there is a God.

Sounds like BC is a believer in the God of the gaps. If we don’t know why something happened, it must be because God did it.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 22 January 2007 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-05

I just realized, BC, that you will convince yourself of anything, even that there’s a good reaason for honor killing. You make no sense; you simply rearrange the last guy’s sentence and stick a question mark on the end.

You have lost every single argument you’ve ever made on this forum, and you resort to “I know you are, but what am I?” tactics.

You are so lost and so not worth wasting good time on. I see you as belonging to the ranks of Pastor Fred Phelps and his ilk. Why don’t you go ahead and be done with it and join up with them in Topeka?

At least with me, you have no worth here (or anwhere where rational people are). Take that step, dude. Hate freely. You know you want to.

That is a losing argument right there.

There is no argument with you, you have no will to change your opinion. You aren’t here to listen to religious fanatics, you’re here to preach athiesm.

I am asking you questions because there are numerous circumstances involved in every situation. Thing’s don’t happen without a reason. Tell me why a 23 year old had a brain tumor and you will answer your own question. You expect me to explain things with “God” but “God” doesn’t work outside the limits of reality.

When did I mention honour killings? You’re just making assumptions again.

How am I lost? You are the one that is changing the topic.

Sounds like BC is a believer in the God of the gaps. If we don’t know why something happened, it must be because God did it.

If even I did know how it happened, God did do it. No one can change the fact that it happened.

Posted: 23 January 2007 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2006-12-13

Intelligence within the universe, not behind.

That’s God.

Do things in life work out nicely when bad things happen to good people for no apparent reason?

For me? Everything happens for a reason. Hence why there is a God.

Yes, but why should I care?

The notion that everything happening or existing in the world is a manifestation of god is not much use in definining the nature of god. What is important for most religionists is the specific requests that this god makes of us, which is why I think you rely on the Bible.

If everything is a manifestation of god, then I may be justified in ignoring the Bible and instead relying on other features of the world to guide me. For example, the god-of-the-whole-world commands me not to drink canal water, because it tastes bad and drinking canal water can make me ill. Certainly there are aspects of the world which you ignore, even though you describe them all as manifestations of god.

What I gather from reading a few of your posts is that you’re not really having a conversation with anyone here. Nobody can figure out what you are trying to tell anyone, least of all you.

Almost everyone (including me) who is replying to you here is just playing with you, because you seem to have no shame; you write reams of stuff that is utterly pointless and disjointed, and you seem to have no idea what a comical/pathetic figure you present. You may be writing here for your own sake, but I cannot for the life of me understand what you are getting out of it. Maybe you’re just terminally bored, and are just trying to stay busy.

Your dysfunction would be more obvious to you if we met face to face. If you are in person anything like you are online, I think I would turn and walk away after less than a minute, out of sheer boredom. You find a great advantage online, in that you can write as much nonsense as you want, and you need never worry about who is ignoring you, and you are still free to think that the people who are playing with your idiotic ramblings are actually paying attention specifically to you.

Get some psychological help, Dude. If you fix the neurotic need you have for the particular “authority” on which you are so obviously fixated, perhaps you can begin to educate yourself about some of the subjects you seem to want to discuss here, such as history and evolution.

Posted: 23 January 2007 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-05

Yes, but why should I care?

Other people do care and they don’t care what you believe.

Why should you care? I will get back to that.

The notion that everything happening or existing in the world is a manifestation of god is not much use in definining the nature of god. What is important for most religionists is the specific requests that this god makes of us, which is why I think you rely on the Bible.

I haven’t even finished the Bible, you are just making assumptions. I don’t base anything from the Bible, I base my thoughts from experience.
You can ask God for anything, but there is more than one way to ask God. Sometimes holding hands and praying works because it changes the way you think, and sometimes, only somtimes, that’s all it takes.
Why does everything happen and exist? The belief in God is the belief in a conscience decision for there to be existence.

If everything is a manifestation of god, then I may be justified in ignoring the Bible and instead relying on other features of the world to guide me. For example, the god-of-the-whole-world commands me not to drink canal water, because it tastes bad and drinking canal water can make me ill.

Yes, you are justified in ignoring the Bible. Sitting at home, reading the Bible isn’t going to end the violence in Iraq. Everyone knows that. You’re right, if canal water makes you ill it is not God doesn’t command you not to drink it, it’s a choice you make for yourself. It was God who made the canal water taste bad because it makes you ill.

Certainly there are aspects of the world which you ignore, even though you describe them all as manifestations of god.

I ignore television shows, I ignore most of the garbage on the internet. I focus on school and on work. I watch the news paper and the news constantly to keep track of what the rest of the world is doing. I like to be prepared for severe weather, terrorism or even war.

I like to see the stars at night, though it is not very often they are out these days. You can tell a lot just by looking at the stars, they are far brighter and far more powerful than anything on Earth, and some of them even more powerful than our own sun.

What I gather from reading a few of your posts is that you’re not really having a conversation with anyone here. Nobody can figure out what you are trying to tell anyone, least of all you.

I don’t have to disagree with you 100% of the time, or agree with you 100% of the time. There is a gray area.

Almost everyone (including me) who is replying to you here is just playing with you, because you seem to have no shame; you write reams of stuff that is utterly pointless and disjointed, and you seem to have no idea what a comical/pathetic figure you present.

Private messages say otherwise. Maybe just those who continue to argue with me, or those who talk about me behind my back.
Good job.

Your dysfunction would be more obvious to you if we met face to face. If you are in person anything like you are online, I think I would turn and walk away after less than a minute, out of sheer boredom. You find a great advantage online, in that you can write as much nonsense as you want, and you need never worry about who is ignoring you, and you are still free to think that the people who are playing with your idiotic ramblings are actually paying attention specifically to you.

That’s a weak assessment. You have no idea. I am not even slightly offended by that. You just talk down to me because you can’t talk yourself up. Once you’ve reached your peak, you change to personal insults just to lower me.

Get some psychological help, Dude. If you fix the neurotic need you have for the particular “authority” on which you are so obviously fixated, perhaps you can begin to educate yourself about some of the subjects you seem to want to discuss here, such as history and evolution.

Yes, I will get psychological help so I can agree with people on internet forums. Makes sense to me. How can you say history is told correctly when you don’t even believe in Jesus, a huge part of history? If anything, you are in agreement with me.

Why should you care?
Because the world kicks people in the teeth, regardless of what they believe. Because real events are really unfolding, and religious arguments and choices are becoming more minor to the actual problems in this world.

The reason you should care is that I am as much a part of the world as you, and even if you and your peers disagree with me, my peers do agree with me. Sure, you may think you are champion of an internet forum, but the rest of the population doesn’t spend their time on here talking too you.

You should care because other people think on the same lines I do, and we aren’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

9 of 13

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed