Lawyers are nicer than sharks
Posted: 20 January 2007 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-01-20

Pentagon shamefully backed away from the very reasonable condemnation of the US law firms representing Guantanamo detainees. American lawyers undo the injustices inflicted by the American soldiers who fight and die in Afghanistan. Only a handful out of the thousands of detainees was rendered from Afghanistan to Guantanamo; they are not a random crowd. Many of them are not guilty beyond the basic affiliation with Taliban, but guilt of others could not be proven. What evidence of terrorist activity, acceptable in the court of law, could be found in Afghanistan? In the absence of documents or wiretaps, evidence is reduced to testimonies of dubious witnesses.

The image of selfless American attorneys - people of great moral integrity - engaged in pro bono defense of Afghan peasants is hilarious. In the pro bono affair, leftist lawyers sabotage the American war effort, and other attorneys shamelessly use it for self-promotion.

Posted: 12 March 2007 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  734
Joined  2007-03-10

On of the most untrue, unfair posts I have read here. 

How can you make an argument that there is injustice and then argue the only people willing to make a stand, lawyers, are the worst scum on earth?  I wonder whether you base these ideals on personal knowledge or what you have been force-fed through your chosen media channels.  Learn a little about the American system before you rip us to shreds.  And familiarize yourself with reality before you make such broad assumptions.

That being said, I openly challenge you to debate your position.  I do keep an open mind.

Posted: 18 March 2007 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

OSfllwrb - You obviously have no concept of what the American legal system is all about.  Lawyers who provide pro bono services to accused individuals are providing an important service to the cause of liberty. Without them, the government could run roughshod over anyone, including you, if you lived here.

Posted: 18 March 2007 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02
[quote author=“Bruce Burleson”]OSfllwrb - You obviously have no concept of what the American legal system is all about.  Lawyers who provide pro bono services to accused individuals are providing an important service to the cause of liberty. Without them, the government could run roughshod over anyone, including you, if you lived here.

Here here.  Well spoken Bruce.

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 19 March 2007 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2819
Joined  2005-04-29
[quote author=“waltercat”][quote author=“Bruce Burleson”]OSfllwrb - You obviously have no concept of what the American legal system is all about.  Lawyers who provide pro bono services to accused individuals are providing an important service to the cause of liberty. Without them, the government could run roughshod over anyone, including you, if you lived here.

Here here.  Well spoken Bruce.

Yes—to MD as well. Lawyers are members of the only profession I know of that tends to so severely deprecate itself while providing free services to the poor. As for the OP, I suspect a language problem. Real people don’t think that way. I hope.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 07 April 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-04-05

I never understood the need for all this anti-lawyer jokes in the USA, you hear them every day. same with all the Anti-French jokes in the USA, what’s up with that?  Leave the lawyers alone. Leave the French alone. What’s wrong with America these days?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed