9 of 9
the power of weakness?
Posted: 02 February 2007 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“burt”]It seems to me that intuition involves a very basic capacity to recognize a unity, to mentally “see” how a collection of apparently unrelated data fits together in an unexpected way.

Yeah, but the “way” is only specifed later, after the fact, as it were, by reasoning. Just as for those “loss of identity” states where Sam says we become one with the cosmos, nobody ever reports back until later. And who knows why their story is what it is then.

It’s just one more way in which we humans manifest the capacity to be waaay too impressed with ourselves.

In mathematics, the intuitive insight that a certain result is true often includes recogniton of the rational steps required for its proof.

Posted: 02 February 2007 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2007-01-10

burt,

In mathematics, the intuitive insight that a certain result is true often includes recogniton of the rational steps required for its proof

So, can we infer from this that mathematical insight, if part of a formal algorithmic system of some kind, may be an unprovable proposition of a
larger system that contains mathematics?

If yes, then insight would be the result of purely logical relations within a formal system, right?

and if not, then insight would not be algorithmic, correct?

The deeper question is, what difference does it make?

Posted: 03 February 2007 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Parable”]If intuition is like drawing shapes on the barn wall after shooting at it, what is the meaning of the barn wall itself?

And, does a dog have Buddha nature?

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 04 February 2007 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2006-11-03

My Dog definitely has a Buddha nature.  And, He knows the Deep Secret.  We sometimes think He may be   the Deep Secret, but, of course, he won’t tell.  So inscrutable.

Posted: 04 February 2007 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“woofy”]My Dog definitely has a Buddha nature.  And, He knows the Deep Secret.  We sometimes think He may be   the Deep Secret, but, of course, he won’t tell.  So inscrutable.

Is your dog dyslexic?

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 04 February 2007 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-10

made_maka,

Is your dog dyslexic?

Good one!

For dog lovers everywhere, I offer the following blessing:

“May you become the person your dog thinks you are.”

Posted: 04 February 2007 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-03

Made-maka—  !  Maybe that’s the Deep Secret!  At any rate, he is the most noble beast of all, a creature of surpassing beauty and grace, who gives me comfort and hope every day.  He also drools alot and snores.  And would sell his soul for treats.  A very accessible and loving god.  (oops—I mean dog…)

Posted: 05 February 2007 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-10

woofy,

...he is the most noble beast of all, a creature of surpassing beauty and grace, who gives me comfort and hope every day.

No doubt, one of the reasons people hope for heaven is because death is not only such a fearful mystery, it is also such a profound loss.  I just had to say goodbye to my little best friend, who at the age of 17, lived to see 3 decades, serving with distinction as an adopted member of my family longer than anyone had a right to ask. 

Every time I find myself looking for him, in the morning, when I come home from work, I’m amazed at how this small dog has left behind so large a void.

Posted: 05 February 2007 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-03

Parable—Of all the blessings I have had in my life, and I have had many, my dogs have been among the best.  I think if I had a choice to live in a mansion with a three-car garage, a pool and an ocean view with no dog—or live in a shack, with a dog—I’d choose the shack.  I’m sorry you lost your friend.

Posted: 06 February 2007 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-10

woofy,

Thanks for kind words. 

Yes, we could learn a lot from dogs, if only we could rise to their level.

Parable

9 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed