3 of 3
Help me follow scripture.
Posted: 07 June 2005 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2005-06-05

I LOL , therefor I am.

ShieldAxe, here’s my problem with scriptural critiques, which amount to nothing more than picking at the corpse that is the bible: it ultimately serves no purpose.  We who are way beyond the thing have no personal use for it.  And the poor sots who have been sold out by their own fears won’t give up their ‘security blanket’ unless you can give them a new one.  And we both know the truth is that there is no ‘security blanket’.

The christian who is ignorant of the bible is no more likely to be troubled when confronted by its incoherence and inconsistency than one who, aware of its weaknesses, rationalizes them away.  It’s an addiction to ‘certainty’, a terminal disease of fear.

Signature 

The road of excess leads to the palace of Wisedom
-William Blake, “Proverbs of Hell”

Life, what is it but a dream?
- Lewis Carroll, “A boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

Posted: 08 June 2005 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2005-04-28

[quote author=“rabbit”]I LOL , therefor I am.

ShieldAxe, here’s my problem with scriptural critiques, which amount to nothing more than picking at the corpse that is the bible: it ultimately serves no purpose.  We who are way beyond the thing have no personal use for it.  And the poor sots who have been sold out by their own fears won’t give up their ‘security blanket’ unless you can give them a new one.  And we both know the truth is that there is no ‘security blanket’.

The christian who is ignorant of the bible is no more likely to be troubled when confronted by its incoherence and inconsistency than one who, aware of its weaknesses, rationalizes them away.  It’s an addiction to ‘certainty’, a terminal disease of fear.

Addictions can be overcome.  I agree with you, lots of these die hard adherents are hopelessly and forever lost in their sea of ignorance.  Some however do change their view.  Hey ScepticX is a former christian.  I don’t know the circumstance of his enlightenment, but he’s no longer addicted to certainty. 

You may also be interested in Julia Sweeney’s latest one woman show where she describes her transformation to atheism which took place while she was a member of a bible study group.  NPR’s This American Life did a recent show called Godless America.  It’s got a long clip from Sweeney’s show.  http://www.thislife.org/ra/290.ram

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed