The Evolution of Creationism
Posted: 17 May 2005 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

The Evolution of Creationism

Published: May 17, 2005

The latest struggle over the teaching of evolution in the public schools of Kansas provides striking evidence that evolution is occurring right before our eyes. Every time the critics of Darwinism lose a battle over reshaping the teaching of biology, they evolve into a new form, armed with arguments that sound progressively more benign, while remaining as dangerous as ever.

Students of these battles will recall that in 1999 the Kansas Board of Education, frustrated that the Supreme Court had made it impossible to force creationism into the science curriculum, took the opposite tack and eliminated all mention of evolution from the statewide science standards. That madness was reversed in 2001 after an appalled electorate had rejected several of the conservative board members responsible for the travesty.

Meanwhile, Darwin's critics around the country began pushing a new theory - known as intelligent design - that did not mention God, but simply argued that life is too complex to be explained by the theory of evolution, hence there must be an intelligent designer behind it all.

The political popularity of that theory will be tested today in a school board primary election in Dover, Pa., where the schools require that students be made aware of intelligent design as an alternative to Darwinism. The race pits those who voted last year for that rule against those who oppose it.

Now the anti-evolution campaigners in Kansas, who again have a state school board majority, have scrubbed things even cleaner. They insist that they are not even trying to incorporate intelligent design into state science standards - that all they want is a critical analysis of supposed weaknesses in the theory of evolution. That may be less innocuous than it seems. Although the chief critics say they do not seek to require the teaching of intelligent design, they add the qualifier "at this point in time." Once their foot is in the door, the way will be open.

The state science standards in Kansas are up for revision this year, and a committee of scientists and educators has proposed standards that enshrine evolution as a central concept of modern biology. The ruckus comes about because a committee minority, led by intelligent-design proponents, has issued its own proposals calling for more emphasis on the limitations of evolution theory and the evidence supposedly contradicting it. The minority even seeks to change the definition of science in a way that appears to leave room for supernatural explanations of the origin and evolution of life, not just natural explanations, the usual domain of science.

The fact that all this is wildly inappropriate for a public school curriculum does not in any way suggest that teachers are being forced to take sides against those who feel that the evolution of humanity, in one way or another, was the work of an all-powerful deity. Many empirical scientists believe just that, but also understand that theories about how God interacts with the world are beyond the scope of their discipline.

The Kansas board, which held one-sided hearings this month that were boycotted by mainstream scientists on the grounds that the outcome was preordained, is expected to vote on the standards this summer. One can only hope that the members will come to their senses first.

Posted: 19 May 2005 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

The struggle to teach ID in schools will be the undoing of ID.  The motivation to prove/disprove evolution/ID will eventually be the impetus to answer THE question!  In the end, a universe that is right in front of us, that has no begining or end, will be easier to prove than a supernatural being (no where to be found) that has no begining or end . . .

Posted: 14 June 2005 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2005-06-13
[quote author=“ddm”]The struggle to teach ID in schools will be the undoing of ID.  The motivation to prove/disprove evolution/ID will eventually be the impetus to answer THE question!  In the end, a universe that is right in front of us, that has no begining or end, will be easier to prove than a supernatural being (no where to be found) that has no begining or end . . .

Albert Einstein stated, “Everyone who is seriously interested in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe—a spirit vastly superior to man, and one in the face of which our modest powers must feel humble.”

If a Theory of Intelligent Design concept logically presents that the ID has never interfered or interacted with the physical universe, yet possibly guides its development like a Master Planner, an ID possibly consisting of pure spiritual energy, an ID that was created from the spirit of life, this theory is feasibly plausible.

Kurt

Posted: 14 June 2005 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2005-03-14
[quote author=“Kurt Kawohl”]If a Theory of Intelligent Design concept logically presents that the ID has never interfered or interacted with the physical universe, yet possibly guides its development like a Master Planner, an ID possibly consisting of pure spiritual energy, an ID that was created from the spirit of life, this theory is feasibly plausible.

Which, of course, begs the question - what the heck is “spiritual energy”? What is the “spirit of life”? Furthermore, how did this mysterious, “feasibly plausible” substance come into being?

Posted: 14 June 2005 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2005-06-13
[quote author=“Alan Slipp”]  Which, of course, begs the question - what the heck is “spiritual energy”? What is the “spirit of life”? Furthermore, how did this mysterious, “feasibly plausible” substance come into being?

Our spirit lives in a body that contains the mind that contains the spirit. The spirit experiences, grows & expands & upon physical death the spirit is released & continues as individualized or united spiritual energy. The spirit is in the subconscious and often controls what one writes and thinks. The soul and spirit are often considered identical, though the soul has also been referred to as the vessel for the spirit.

Dr. Lommel the cardiologist stated:
Dear Kurt Kawohl,
Thank you for mailing to me your near-death experience. The response from your father is what you usually hear from people who have experienced such an experience and try to communicate about it. This is such a hard confrontation. But I also know, that many, many people are open for it, and I also know that this is not a dream, hallucination or a vivid imagination.

Be careful in communicating about your experience, and listen to your intuition in finding people who want to listen. Be patient. I wish you all the best.

Q1. You can call consciousness outside the brain “spirit”, if you like. But
this can be confusing, because not everybody has the same ideas about what
exactly “spirit” should be. And there are several “levels” of consciousness,
waking consciousness, dreaming consciousness, “subconsciousness”, collective
human consciousness, morphogenetic consciousness, higher cosnciousness,
Cosmic consciousness, Divine consciousness. All these levels of
consciousness are interconnected, and available, also during our life in our
body.
Q2. I agree with you that also deep mental stress can facilitate the access
to other levels or other aspects of our consciousness, See also answer Q1.
But also NDE, meditation, regression therapy, isolation, depression,
terminal illness and other circumstances can facilitate this effect.
Q3. This phase-space is a higher dimensional space, presumably not just the
fourth dimension, according to Quantum Mechanics. Induced experiences are
never the same as a NDE, sometimes several elements can be experienced, like
flashes of the past, a feeling of not being in the body, or a period of
unconsciousness, but aspects like a life-review, or transformation after the
experience are hardly mentioned after induced experiences. All
ND-expeirences are personal experiences, where finding words for it is very
difficult, and cultural, demographic and religious factors play a role in
this. So I have never heard a similar experience ever.
Q4. Braindead is a sometimes very difficult diagnosis. But when the brain
has no function any more, without circulation in the brain, there should be
no access to stimuli whatsoever according current medical science, which
“believes” that consciousness is exclusively produced in and located in the
brain.
With kind regards,
Pim van Lommel, cardiologist
——————————————————————-

The Ultimate Truth is indecipherable by the human mind and can only be divulged to the spirit which also often misinterprets its meaning, hence we have various religions and beliefs.

Kurt

Posted: 22 August 2005 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

The fact that (current) scientific theories are not adequate to explain everything about life does not mean that the answer must lie in the supernatural. ID rests on the same footing as the theory that super-intelligent aliens landed on the planets thousands or millions of years ago and started the human race. I’ll call it TAO for the Theory of Alien Origin. Should we teach TAO in schools too? It certainly explains everything as well as ID does and it is just as plausible, if not more so.

Posted: 23 August 2005 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

Hey gang,

Some fifteen years ago, I had a motorcycle accident that broke a few bones and nearly knocked me out.  As I lay in the ditch waiting for the stars ( actually they looked more like little bright sperm floating in my visual field) to clear, I had an other worldly sort of sensation.  All at the same time, I was surprised at how little it seemed to hurt, and pissed off that now my wife was probably going to kill me, since the week before I had faked a story of an accident and walked in the house with a sling on my arm…funny guy.  What was telling to me though, was this “give thanks” phenomenon that came over me, with immediate urges to quit smoking and exercise more; sort of a natural sacrificial urge to appease whatever had saved me.  I was going to be a new man.  Well, my conversion lasted about a day and a half, as the pain kicked in. I still smoke and get winded running to the fridge.  Besides the feeling I had when I felt like I “understood” organic chemistry,  this was just about the closest I’ve come to a spiritual experience. Except, with chemistry I didn’t feel I had to sacrifice anything, so maybe I was fooling myself…..

Later,Rod

Posted: 23 August 2005 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Our spirit lives in a body that contains the mind that contains the spirit. The spirit experiences, grows & expands & upon physical death the spirit is released & continues as individualized or united spiritual energy. The spirit is in the subconscious and often controls what one writes and thinks. The soul and spirit are often considered identical, though the soul has also been referred to as the vessel for the spirit.

Read a wonderful book about this kind of thing called “Mortal Minds”  written by an anetheseoligist (sic).  I just dont swallow NDE’s or that sort of thing, I think it is all explainable by natural causes.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed