The True Identity of the Chumpion Revealed
Posted: 18 May 2005 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

My confidential sources at Newsweek magazine have realealed the true identity of the Chumpion. He is, in fact, James Harold Gurshner, of Minot ND.

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4120&n=2

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 18 May 2005 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

I don’t think so….Mr. Gershner seems much too rational to be The Champ.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 29 May 2005 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2005-05-29

[quote author=“Wotansson”]My confidential sources at Newsweek magazine have realealed the true identity of the Chumpion. He is, in fact, James Harold Gurshner, of Minot ND.

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4120&n=2

Stay Well
Wot

If the person in question chooses to post using a pen-name, surely that is his right?  If you happen to come across his name, is it not discourteous to jeer at him in this manner?  Particularly since you are doing the same yourself?

One reason why most people have issues with those who oppose Christianity is that they behave in a way that suggests palpable moral inferiority, not to Christians, but to ordinary people.  Unless you want to reinforce this stereotype, I think you owe your intended victim an apology.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Posted: 30 May 2005 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

Roger:

One reason why most people have issues with those who oppose Christianity is that they behave in a way that suggests palpable moral inferiority, not to Christians, but to ordinary people.

First, Roger, I respect your above opinion, but strongly disagree with it. Secondly, The Onion, from Madison, WI, is our nation’s funniest newspaper (my subjective opinion, of course).

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 31 May 2005 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

If the person in question chooses to post using a pen-name, surely that is his right? If you happen to come across his name, is it not discourteous to jeer at him in this manner? Particularly since you are doing the same yourself?

One reason why most people have issues with those who oppose Christianity is that they behave in a way that suggests palpable moral inferiority, not to Christians, but to ordinary people. Unless you want to reinforce this stereotype, I think you owe your intended victim an apology.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

All due respect, I disagree with the entirety of your above post and here are my reasons.

If you have followed the posts of TC you will notice that his posts are focused on the ridulule of reason.  He intends to be a spolier of some very reasonable posts here and frequently adds a “ha ha” in a lame attempt to discredit and ridicule some pretty good thinking.  In spite of this, some posters choose to debate with him only to have some selective scripture quotation dumped on them. The reason that some rational people chose to engage with him is a mystery to me.  Thus they become his victims. Sorry, but this individual is nothing more than a buffoon and no apology is offerred.

If you have not yet read Sam’s book, I suggest you do so.  One of his points is that the religious need to be challenged, granted, more gently than I do, at least in the case of TC. There are plenty of coherent religious people making serious points about theism. TC is not one of these and satire, which is intended to offend only the guilty,  is appropriate in his case.

I use no alias

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 31 May 2005 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“roger_pearse”]One reason why most people have issues with those who oppose Christianity is that they behave in a way that suggests palpable moral inferiority, not to Christians, but to ordinary people.

Actually in my experience presumptuous people like you describe there (most? well . . . maybe) tend to have inferiority issues (they’re generally fearful) and place increased value in their presumptions, bolstering them with “faith” or support from populal opinion (selected popular opinion, that is), because they can pacify those issues and fears while not having to really address them in a genuine or responsible (honest) manner. It’s part of what I can religiostupidification—when perfectly functional and even formidable minds are compromised (the normal functions and reasoning mechanisms by-passed and/or suppressed) by religious faith.

[quote author=“roger_pearse”]Unless you want to reinforce this stereotype, I think you owe your intended victim an apology.

I don’t feel as strongly as you, obviously (TC has clearly chosen to make himself a target, whatever his underlying motives may be), but I stil agree to a lesser extent.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 31 May 2005 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Talk about peculiar behavior? Wotansson, you hit and run and do not engage in debate with someone you obviously think you are smarter than. You choose to insult me in a childish manner, the deride me. Hey, I can take it, but can you?

SkepticX, I am not trying to be a target, my views are targeted. I came on this board way back when because I was very concerned about the premise of Sam Harris’s book. Much to my shock, it was like a free for all getting pounded from all sides. However, I hung in there gave my views, which I am allowed to do (a free country, right?).

So I am proud of my conservative and religious views. I will share them with anybody, or try to anyway. I am proud of the religious heritage of our country and I’m so glad we have other people who are also as proud as I am.

Shame on Harvard and other Ivy league schools. You started on the premise of religion and look at you now. The kids come out of there brainwashed. Oh, yeah, smart, but brainwashed.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 31 May 2005 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2005-04-28

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Talk about peculiar behavior? Wotansson, you hit and run and do not engage in debate with someone you obviously think you are smarter than.

Your the one who shies from debate champ.

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Posted: 31 May 2005 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“ShieldAxe”]Your the one who shies from debate champ.

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Oh yeah! I got to get to that one today (then take the perverbial lumps).

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 01 June 2005 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2005-05-29

[quote author=“SkepticX”]
[quote author=“roger_pearse”]Unless you want to reinforce this stereotype, I think you owe your intended victim an apology.

I don’t feel as strongly as you, obviously (TC has clearly chosen to make himself a target, whatever his underlying motives may be), but I stil agree to a lesser extent.

Thanks.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Posted: 09 June 2005 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

http://www.landoverbaptist.org

Posted: 09 June 2005 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2005-04-28