Sam Harris is 'Deep Throat'
Posted: 01 June 2005 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-05-23

The most interesting phenomenon about Sam Harris and his book is that some of the religious diehards of our time are at least listening to what he has to say. 

O'Reilly, for example, didn't yell "shaddup!' at him.  [I would not suggest, however, that Sam talk with Sean Hannity—who would tell Sam that he should be ashamed for expressing such ideas and will surely rot in Hell.]

When Sam spoke at a synagogue, the rabbi's only response was: "Sam, it is still not too late for that Bar Mitzvah."

Like Mark 'Deep Throat' Felt, whose information started to eat away at the foundations of Nixonian fascism once it was published in the legitimate press (Washington Post), so may Sam's equally corrosive information begin to eat away at the fascism of religion because it was published by the legitimate press (Norton), and reviewed by the legitimate press (NY Times Book Review).

Now Sam's letters are published in legitimate newspapers.  The PEN award might help too.  The fact that he is good-looking, personable, and can think on his feet can't hurt either.  What's next?  An appearance on Oprah?

Mark Starr

Posted: 01 June 2005 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Mark,

Your name suggests that you are not Sam’s mother, so you must be his agent. Correct?

Posted: 02 June 2005 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-05-23

[quote author=“Nietzsche”]Mark,

Your name suggests that you are not Sam’s mother, so you must be his agent. Correct?

Never met Sam in my life.  I’m pleased not only with the things he is saying, but the fact that a few irrational people like O’Reilly are at least listening to him, without shouting him down as they do everyone else.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed