ambivalence towards mother theresa
Posted: 25 February 2007 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-12-13

finished reading 'letter to a christian nation' and was surprised at the attack harris had on mother theresa.  Why don't people realize she wasn't a social worker or doctor of any sort.  She healed through religion.  I've heard of the argument saying her organization wasted donated money and could have done alot more instead of 'waste' their time praying on someone's deathbed.  seems that prayer and faith heals many people, at least those who believe.

Posted: 25 February 2007 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2006-12-04

Read “The Missionary Position” by Christopher Hitchens.

She begged donations for the poor, then gave the money to the Church.

Posted: 26 February 2007 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-12-13

yeah i heard about that book. ill have to read it soon.  thanks for the suggestion.  anyhoo, when she asked for donations what did you say she was going to do with them?  If it was used to “help” the poor then essentially in her mind she is helping the poor through her religion and prayer. help means different things to different people.

Posted: 26 February 2007 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2006-09-13

Watch the Showtime series “Bullshit” episode “Holier Than Thou”.

Mother Theresa was a grade-A C*nt! She was a sick, twisted whore who got off seeing other people suffer because it made them and her “closer to Jesus”, because by suffering… they understood… suffering? Yeah, it didn’t make any sense to me either.

F*ck her and her religion.

Signature 

“All religions are valid, NONE are literal.” -Joseph Campbell

Posted: 26 February 2007 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Look, BHome, Mama T really believed suffering was the very best thing for the folks unlucky enough to be in her care, and she did everything in her power to see they got what they “needed” of that particular commodity. 

That, plus her insisting that abortion was the worst thing going on in the world, make her a pig in my book.  Read Chris’s book objectively, and see if you can keep your opinion of her.  IMHO, the world would have been a far better place had she never lived, and that’s about the worse thing one human can say about another.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 26 February 2007 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-12-13

i plan on reading missionary position, but you guys are kinda harsh against her.  The majority of people i know are religious people (including my entire family).  So are they bad people because they have faith in a god?  I’m not religious at all, but i hardly think mother T was a terrible person. I think she is very misguided though.  So would it have been better if she did absolutely nothing with the poor?  don’t you think even though some of the poor probably disagreed with her, that some also felt some comfort when she was around?  again, i will have to read some more on her, but find your guys’ criticizism of her a little harsh.

ps- i don’t have showtime, is there somewhere i can rent, download etc. that movie?  thanks.

Posted: 26 February 2007 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“bhome83”]i plan on reading missionary position, but you guys are kinda harsh against her.  The majority of people i know are religious people (including my entire family).  So are they bad people because they have faith in a god?  I’m not religious at all, but i hardly think mother T was a terrible person. I think she is very misguided though.  So would it have been better if she did absolutely nothing with the poor?  don’t you think even though some of the poor probably disagreed with her, that some also felt some comfort when she was around?  again, i will have to read some more on her, but find your guys’ criticism of her a little harsh.

ps- i don’t have showtime, is there somewhere i can rent, download etc. that movie?  thanks.

Bhome83, the above boldfaced question, as well as this entire discussion of Mother Teresa reminds me of how vastly mistaken traditional Christianity can tend to be regarding what is “good” and what is “bad.” Moralities that got set up eons ago really need to be updated and revised much more frequently than they tend to be when a permanent, official, holy guide book is in place for all to adhere to. Biblical pronouncements that are either misunderstood, mistranslated or poorly reasoned in the first place are only part of the equation. Modern people know about certain crucially important things that the ancients lacked. Obviously. Yet “modern” Christians typically see questions of morality as being set in stone, literally.

This is why we have morally perverted folks such as M.T. running around the planet attempting to “do good” while in reality causing great harm to enormous numbers of people. Analysis of intentions can become quite confusing, while analysis of actions, needs, ethics, health, and other such measurable components are much more amenable to improved moral action and vision.

It’s certainly a difficult topic—one that absolutely requires that people bypass their ancient superstitious ways.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 26 February 2007 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

ps- i don’t have showtime, is there somewhere i can rent, download etc. that movie? thanks.

Netflix has it.  And by the way, I was trying to be kind.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 09 April 2007 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-04-05

Why MT was a silly goose. She only loved the poor in India in order to convert them to Jesus. she even said so in an interview in Time long ago. she used her ministry to reach out to the poor and sick so as to save them before they died. she was just using them for her own brainwashed religion views. she meant well. but she was just using those people. Hitch got it right. she was no saint.

Posted: 12 April 2007 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2006-12-26

[quote author=“bhome83”]i plan on reading missionary position, but you guys are kinda harsh against her.  The majority of people i know are religious people (including my entire family).  So are they bad people because they have faith in a god?

Not at all. But just because your parents and siblings are loving and good people, it does not at all follow that Mother Teresa was that, just because she shared (some of) their religious faith.

Have you ever considered that your family might have their goodness IN SPITE of their religion, rather than because of it?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed