You may be a Fundy-Atheist if…
Posted: 02 March 2007 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2007-02-19

Funny!  I laughed my ass off!

It’s too bad it was taken so seriously.

SavedByGrace, I hope you stick around.

These folks are not really as bad as all that.  They are all actually bright and thoughtful, just thinking on a different plain. 

Every now and then we run into some inconsistencies, but nobody is perfect.  All in all, its a good place to hear some different thoughts about life.

P.S.  It helps if you don’t try to save anyone. smile

Posted: 02 March 2007 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2007-02-13

You became an atheist when you were 10 years old, based on ideas of God that you learned in Sunday School

Considering most people are pretty much forced into religion at age 0 and then indoctrinated through Church and sunday school for the rest of their childhood…... I really don’t think you can accuse us of this.

You hate the God you don’t believe in.

Do I hate God…. hmmm…... Well, I hate Him as much as it’s possible to hate a fictional character. He’s undoubtably the villain of the epic fantasy novel that is the Bible.

You ridicule Christianity because you’re afraid

I ridicule Chrisanity because it’s a load of nonsense that’s kept a significant portion of humanity locked into superstition for the last 2007 years.

You are an athiest because you don’t want a God to answer to

Do I detect the common “atheists don’t have morals” stereotype? If we were really atheists because of this, wouldn’t we all be availing of the fact that the divine security camera in the sky is no longer watching us and wreaking havoc?

Instead, atheists make up 0.2% of the American prison population, despite the fact that there are more of us in the country than there are members of any religion except Chrsitianity.

If you want to see some proof that atheists really don’t believe in god, go watch the Blasphemy Challenge videos.

Anf Rami makes a good point: atheist fundamentalists don’t exist, and can’t exist. Obviously, atheists run the gamut from people who simply don’t believe in God and don’t make a big deal out of it, to those who are much more passionate and outspoken. But being serious and passionate doesn’t make us fundies.

Posted: 02 March 2007 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-02-16

[quote author=“HappyHeathen”][ It does seem to me that most, if not all, of these claims have been quite successfully refuted on this forum in the past.

Yes.  SBG’s post is the equivalent of saying, “you atheists aren’t knowledgable when it comes to algebra, and I can prove it. What does 1+1 equal? In case you don’t know, the answer is TWO! Now, what do you think of THAT?”

Simple minds demand simple arguments…

Posted: 02 March 2007 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2007-02-19

[quote author=“Mr Mark”][quote author=“Monik”]Doesn’t look like the OP is coming back. I have a feeling he/she was doing the forum equivalent of throwing a rock at a hornet’s nest, and is now off somewhere else complaining about how angry and intolerant atheists are.

He’ll be back.

The Xians LOVE to step into the atheist lion’s den! They enjoy the comraderie when they return to their church and tell their tales of daring do: taking on the godless on their own turf and surviving. This is a LARGE part of what drives them to post at sites like Sam’s and Dawkins. They don’t expect to convert anybody, and they don’t bother digesting any of the replies to their drive-by posts.

It’s a rite of passage - like stealing hubcaps or beating up a rival gang member.

SBG probably had choir practice last night, which would explain his not posting since 3:24 yesterday. Don’t worry - he’ll spend a goodly amount of time here over the next two days in preparation for the tales of triumph he plans to tell Sunday morning at his Catechism class.

Its true!  We all sit around with our tales of daring.  I can almost see it now:

“Did you use any bad language?” They’ll ask. 

“I gave those dad-gummed atheists a thing or two to think about!” I’ll triumph!

“How did it feel being so close to Satan?” They’ll query, with furtive and frightened glances about the bible-group.

“I felt like Daniel.  But I knew GOD ON HIGH was with me, and that made all the difference.”  I’ll bravely tell them.

“Well, here’s your merit badge.  Its worth fifteen heaven credits.  If you want to trade it in for an adulterous encounter or blowing up an abortion clinic, just see the rector.”

Posted: 02 March 2007 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-02-13

Lol Ted. I was enthralled and felt like I was getting a sneak peak into church chat.  ;\

Posted: 02 March 2007 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-03-02

3n7r0py said:

So, if one concludes that since every religion is proclaiming themselves as the “one true faith” they all must be equally invalid.

This is kind of funny. Since atheism is considered a religion, courtesy of the US Supreme Court, you’re saying that atheism is invalid.

Posted: 02 March 2007 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-13

[quote author=“follower of the Way”]
This is kind of funny. Since atheism is considered a religion, courtesy of the US Supreme Court, you’re saying that atheism is invalid.

Atheism isn’t a religion. If the supreme court has branded it one (when did that happen?) then they obviously don’t understand it.

Posted: 02 March 2007 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-03-02

Atheism was declared a religion by the Supreme Court in a 2005 case. Visit this website: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45874

Posted: 02 March 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-02-09

[quote author=“follower of the Way”]Atheism was declared a religion by the Supreme Court in a 2005 case. Visit this website: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45874

I don’t know, it sounds to me as if the judge was enabling the prisoners in question to form an atheist study group by using the existing law and defining atheism as a religion. Regardless, I doubt many atheists themselves would think of it that (I wouldn’t, anyway!).

Posted: 02 March 2007 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01

Hey Guys; this character was just doing a hit and run. He got his ‘rant’ from this site: http://www.tektonics.org/ where ‘great refutations’ of all positions except the Christian one are offered…

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 02 March 2007 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-03-01

[quote author=“stardusk”]Hey Guys; this character was just doing a hit and run. He got his ‘rant’ from this site: http://www.tektonics.org/ where ‘great refutations’ of all positions except the Christian one are offered…

LOL. I didn’t figure anyone would actually think ONE person… much less myself… would compile all of that!
Maybe I overestimated this board’s intelligence by assuming ya’d all know I found this… and that it was created by numerous Believers?

Actually, to “come out” here, there’s actually a percentage of that rather long list that I myself find fault in, or just flat out disagree with. I simply fond this site, and while looking through it, thought of that list I’d once seen… so I figured I’d post it and see what a group of atheists had to say about it.
So please don’t blame just me for anything you found insulting or ridiculous in it. =)

And to clear a few more things up, no Ted. I didn’t go to choir last night and tell all my dear godly friends how truly valiant I was to come on a board, shake hands with the devil’s little advocates, and dodge all sorts of fire and fury in the name of Jesus! [/satire]
Actually, I’ve never participated in choir. Bible-study though… but that’s Wednesday nights. =)
Sorry I couldn’t log on yesterday, and stay straight through until every one of your comments were answered. I had no idea I’d be so instantly accepted and missed!
I was out snowboarding with my brother last night, and I didn’t breathe a word of this forum to even him, who happens to be one of my closest confidants.
As pitifully sad as it sounds actually, I pride myself in not priding myself on spreading God’s Word,  rolleyes 
Not a soul that I know personally has heard me say a thing about any unChristian forum I’ve joined.
Believe that or not, I could care less.
But thanks for a good laugh with your silly church-folk dialogue!

Maybe I should also make something else clear.
I don’t claim to be perfect, or any better than any one of you.
I don’t even claim to be a good person.
I’m a rotten, dirty, sinful, lying, theiving, adulterous, hateful idiot that deserves nothing more than eternity in a miserable, hot hell.
By nothing more than the dear grace of God, I won’t get what I deserve though.

I’ve made two posts on this forum and have already (albeit in a round about way) been accused of being ignorant, and pretty much brainless.
I have no desire to debate and argue with people that have no intention of actually discussing something.
I’m convinced that most of you want nothing more than someone to either ridicule, or trap.
If you’ve got honest questions, throw them at me. Either here or privately.
But I won’t answer to straw mans, silly inquiries, or questions that don’t deserve an answer.
And I won’t debate details unless I know you ask in sincerity.
My objective is, as always, to get to the heart of the matter, and look at the big picture. Which is why I’ll address a seeming pattern in that a lot of you seem to have decided I’ve stereo-typed all atheists into a group without morals.
Which I have done. May I explain why?

First. If you’ve got a system of morals in any way, where’d it come from?
In a world without a God, everything is relative. It’s all a person’s opinion, and there’s no authoritave figure to answer to. No “top dog” that lays down the law.
Who says what’s right or what’s wrong?
And if we’ve just evolved, why not struggle and go with “survival of the fittest” to make sure you come out where you want to, even if it means lying, hurting, or even killing to get there.
Why not kill babies, kill old people, do what you want with sex, take drugs, toss all that matters away, and live 24-7 for nothing more than yourself?
Without a God, there’s no basis for right and wrong, so really, you CAN do anything you want, and justify it.

As far as that 2% of prisoners being athiests… first, I’d like to see proof of this incredible claim.
Second… for the sake of the argument, we’ll assume it’s true.
So what? So more “Christians” are behind bars that unbelievers.
First, more people claim to be Christians than those that do not.
Second, not all that claim to be saved, really are.
It’s sad, but it’s true.
I can’t condemn anyone, but I know that there are a lot of people that call themselves Christians, who will one day stand before the Lord, and He’ll turn them away, saying He never knew them.
Besides that, even real Christians are still people. People that are cursed, and sinful, and will do wrong.
Whether they claim it or not, they’re just as “bad” as you, and you’re just as “good” as them.
The only difference is that the saved have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior, and trust in Him to save them.
That’s it.

Mr Mark… maybe some time you could learn how to read the Word according to it’s language, and in context.
Then we can discuss whether I should hate you or not. =]

And Rami, let me get this straight. You’re sick of my “childish fantasies” and I’d assume you’d make it against the law for parents to raise their children according to the Bible if you could… probably more so than that… yet you don’t hate us?
Kay.

Not sure what I missed that I wanted to cover.
How badly are double or triple posts frowned upon, on these fronts?

Speaking of the raising of children, which do you prefer, beating them with rods or killing them outright? :wink:

Posted: 02 March 2007 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-02-13

I’m a rotten, dirty, sinful, lying, theiving, adulterous, hateful idiot that deserves nothing more than eternity in a miserable, hot hell.

Hmm, why do you do those things? No wonder you need a god. As for myself, i’m none of those except hateful of condescending religionists who undermine my intelligence.

I’ve made two posts on this forum and have already (albeit in a round about way) been accused of being ignorant, and pretty much brainless.

Brainless because you post crap that isn’t even yours. Come up with original thoughts about your beliefs and we’ll all have fun here.

First. If you’ve got a system of morals in any way, where’d it come from?
In a world without a God, everything is relative. It’s all a person’s opinion, and there’s no authoritave figure to answer to. No “top dog” that lays down the law.
Who says what’s right or what’s wrong?
And if we’ve just evolved, why not struggle and go with “survival of the fittest” to make sure you come out where you want to, even if it means lying, hurting, or even killing to get there.
Why not kill babies, kill old people, do what you want with sex, take drugs, toss all that matters away, and live 24-7 for nothing more than yourself?
Without a God, there’s no basis for right and wrong, so really, you CAN do anything you want, and justify it.

Why do you need someone to tell you what is wrong and what is right? Can’t you discern that for yourself? Why must you have that father/mother figure guiding you along all your life? You have 18 years to manhood, if you don’t pick up on what is morally right or wrong by then then please, let a god guide you, the world will be a better place for all of us. That last line in the quote I hear a lot from friends and colleagues. Is that it? God is what is keeping you from killing babies and that damn neighbor with the greener lawn? Then help yourself to a healthy serving of your fav god, please, it’s on us. ;-\

Posted: 02 March 2007 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2006-12-04

SavedbyGrace wrote:

Well, why not? Your answer seems to be “Because it makes God angry”.

That’s not much of a reason.

What if doing all that made God happy?

We don’t kill babies because it takes a lot of effort to have one and raise it.

On the other hand, God can just snap his fingers and make a billion babies appear.

Babies are valuable to us because we have so much effort invested in them. They would have no value to God since he can create an infinite number of them with no effort.

And not to omit restating the obvious: Religion can only arise AFTER a society has formed a working moral code which allows a large number of people to peacefully co-exist.

Posted: 03 March 2007 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-13

Out of all of the things Christianity gets people to beleive, this is probably the wierdest.

Posted: 03 March 2007 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“Penguin_Factory”]

Out of all of the things Christianity gets people to beleive, this is probably the wierdest.

Xians love to hate themselves don’t they? Gives them the warm fuzzies. Reinforces the sick, self-imposed slave-master relationship.  Maybe master will throw me a cookie.

What a way to go through life. Just pathetic.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

2 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed