2 of 3
Ignore Function
Posted: 31 March 2006 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-10-24
[quote author=“klangdon”]When I first entered this zone I was impressed by Mia’s open-mindedness and then by V’s obvious intelligence. Today it’s the arrogance that leaves the most significant impression, sad to say.

[quote author=“Mia”]-

klangdon… I don’t want to misunderstand, and would make no claim to “first-rate intelligence”... but are you suggesting that to put someone like treblinka on an ignore list is an indication of lack of intelligence?

Sounds like his/her problem is a perception of arrogance because I (or you) won’t brooke any comment by the likes of treb or Champ.  Of course this comes from a deep insight into your and my motives and knowledge of who we really are, right?

Klang, draw your own conclusion if you will, and pass your judgements as you see fit.  I don’t mind.  I came here to talk with people that were interested in the nature of human involvement in religion and evidenceless beliefs.  Anyone who wants to speak their mind on that subject I would be happy to listen to whether I agree or not.  What I did not come here to do, and I have no time to devote to it anyway, is to listen to diatribes and evidenceless beliefs.  Those that have a history of producing that kind of commentary go on the ignore list.  Its that simple.  It has nothing to do with a claim of superiority (hence arrogance).  It has to do with economy and productive progress toward ones goals.

Posted: 01 April 2006 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“Mia”]-

klangdon… I don’t want to misunderstand, and would make no claim to “first-rate intelligence”... but are you suggesting that to put someone like treblinka on an ignore list is an indication of lack of intelligence?

_

No, Mia - to me it smarts of arrogance, and even advanced thinkers like yourself (my assessment) should be wary when you’re closing opposing views off.  This is especially true when they are the views that make you the most uncomfortable.  Failure to keep an open mind leads to a failure to learn.  We learn from the most unexpected sources sometimes.  I assert that we can even learn from those who strike us as complete morons. 

Posted: 01 April 2006 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“veracitatus”]

Sounds like his/her problem is a perception of arrogance because I (or you) won’t brooke any comment by the likes of treb or Champ.  Of course this comes from a deep insight into your and my motives and knowledge of who we really are, right?

... What I did not come here to do, and I have no time to devote to it anyway, is to listen to diatribes and evidenceless beliefs.  Those that have a history of producing that kind of commentary go on the ignore list.  Its that simple.  It has nothing to do with a claim of superiority (hence arrogance).  It has to do with economy and productive progress toward ones goals.

Few people who actually claim superiority are considered simply arrogant.  When it gets to that point, we have other issues altogether.  So there is no virtue in not claiming superiority, and the fact that you haven’t claimed it doesn’t mean that you aren’t demonstrating arrogance. 

Who are “the likes” of Treb and Champ?  Misguided?  Surely.  Young?  Probably.  Stupid?  Not at all.  Sensationalistic?  Definitely.  People generally enter into a debating forum out of a need - to challenge themselves, to engage others, or to learn something. 

V, you are obviously a teacher, so you have experienced first hand that the best way to learn is to teach.  You speak of economy and productive progress towards ones goals.  I submit that it takes no real time to scan any entry and see if it strikes your interest.  I would also point out that there is no real challenge in teaching like-minded people who communicate according to your personal preference.  Finally, I assert that in limiting your conversation and your precious time to like-minded people, you may reach your goal(whatever that is), and learn nothing but what you already believed to be true anyway.  You may accomplish very little in doing so, but you can at least take comfort in the fact that you accomplished it efficiently.  Have your way, teacher.

Posted: 01 April 2006 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29

Mia, for what it’s worth, I too ignore that person. We’re not arrogant in my opinion, but only avoiding hate speech.

Klangdon, I wouldn’t be so harsh with Mia.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 01 April 2006 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

I’m sure Mia can field my darts on her own, Hu.  I’ve witnessed her ability to outdo far more capable adversaries. 

Interesting that you didn’t wax as chivalrous for Vercitatous.  Are you old-fashioned, or have you silently endorsed my opinion?

Posted: 01 April 2006 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

I don’t know much about Veracitatus, even what his field of study is. He seems arrogant, but what do I know? If I were to meet him in person, no doubt I’d be able to direct him to listen to certain of my points.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 01 April 2006 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

Ignoring people isn’t arrogant, it is simply time management.

At some point, it is more than appropriate to realize that time spent on a forum such as this one is “elective” time.  And it is limited.  The only arrogance is in presuming to lecture other people on what is appropriate to do with such elective time.

-Matt

Posted: 01 April 2006 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“psiconoclast”]... The only arrogance is in presuming to lecture other people on what is appropriate to do with such elective time.

-Matt

point taken, psiconoclast.  But then I’m sure it isn’t “the only” arrogance, is it?

Posted: 01 April 2006 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-10-24

I’m just a bit curious Klangdon.  Why are you attacking me?  I appreciate that you may feel I am arrogant.  You’re welcome to your opinion.  But is it necessary to attack me?  If you disagree with any of my thoughts posted in these threads then, by all means attack those. Point out to me the failures of my thinking. I am open minded enough to look at contrary arguments and have been known to change my mind when verifiable evidence went against me.

Now you may think I have attacked the religious folk on this site by ignoring them.  OK, from some perspective I can see how that might be taken that way.  But I don’t think I have ever tried to convince The Champion he is wrong by calling him names.  I have used his rhetorical style and statements as examples of why I do not want to engage in conversations with him or others that are like him.  I have put him and others into a category of people who I do not think are able to learn from the kinds of discussion we are having.  Many others on this forum disagree with me and thats fine.

Now it seems you have put me in a category - the arrogant - so I wonder how this is very different from what you might be claiming I am guilty of.  Perhaps if my comments offend you, you could put me on your ignore list.

In any case, this is all I plan to say about this.  If we meet on another thread and engage in debate about ideas thats fine.

Posted: 01 April 2006 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

Now that I’ve thought about it a bit, and thanks to Psiconoclast’s reality check, I hereby freely admit to being at times arrogant. Some say “IMHO,” but I say “IMAO.”

Thanks Matt. I hope you’re doing well.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 01 April 2006 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

klangdon:

Contextually, I think I am correct, but yes, there are many forms of arrogance, so point taken.

homunculus:

I am doing well, I’ve been really busy of late, and have not had as much time to hang with this happy bunch as I would like, but I try to keep up a bit.

-Matt

Posted: 01 April 2006 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

Not an attack, but a respectful challenge.  Don’t go all squeemish on me now.

Posted: 01 April 2006 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

-

Klangdon… to beat the dead horse (if only with a wet noodle), I know I’ve definitely come across as antagonistic regarding supernatural dogma - I admit it, I’m still pissed over all the wasted time/emotions/brain cells in my upbringing -  so I guess an arrogance label could be slapped on me, too. In the case of treb and champ, though, I don’t see them as having an “opposing view”, so much as an entirely irrelevent one. At least for this board. We’re not here to deepen our devotion to the gods, much less the extremist version expounded by treb, or the “hey, listen up folks!” version that champ yammers on about. Their posts are not exactly riddled with pertinent counterpoint, ya know? 

I think ignoring two bible-thumpers is a pretty mild level of filtering. Once you’ve stepped in a pile of dog poop, doesn’t it make sense to avoid it the next time said poop crosses your path :? ? And in the case of those two, I observed the liberal application of poop on many many occasions.

homunculus, I am touched by the chivalry… *curtsies*... and totally love “IMAO”. It needs to be extended to “LMAAO”, as well.

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 03 April 2006 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2006-02-13
[quote author=“homunculus”]I hereby freely admit to being at times arrogant. Some say “IMHO,” but I say “IMAO.”

Excellent suggestion homunculus. I’ve used IMHO in the past to try not to appear too inflammatory but IMAO would probably be more accurate for me too wink

Posted: 03 April 2006 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22
[quote author=“calmooney”][quote author=“homunculus”]I hereby freely admit to being at times arrogant. Some say “IMHO,” but I say “IMAO.”

Excellent suggestion homunculus. I’ve used IMHO in the past to try not to appear too inflammatory but IMAO would probably be more accurate for me too wink

What about IMEO?  E for “exalted”?

grin

2 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed