Stupid people
Posted: 21 June 2005 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Is it just me or does Sam Harris takes advantage of the current resentment of Islamic extremists shared by a majority of the population and us it like a soap box to complain about everyone else he happens to not like. I know fundamentalists do the same thing.

I’ve looked around this forum and the only thing that I can see that draws others under Harris’ flag is that is their hatred of other groups. Hum…one group hating another group, now that sound familiar. If I was going to champion under the banner of secularization, I think I would unite other people under a better idea than, “Destroy all intolerant people!

I’m very happy that everyone has a little scrap book of news clips and articles that prove that everyone else is stupid and violent due to religious beliefs. I normally hear comments like, “This church killed thousands, and this guy said cottage cheese is of the devil.” I’m glad all of these validations of your beliefs have lead you to think that you’re all right and everyone else is wrong.

I know that this post will probably have some people in a tizzy fit. “We never said that!” will be the reply post of choice I think. If you want a prime reason for why I’m not impressed with the comments and posts of the forum it’s because I see very little evidence about what anyone wants to do about religion or what is a solution to extremism.

The best that I can get from the Sam Harris groupies is that they like Harris and his book and they like to bitch. I know a lot of you think your clever and intelligent – and maybe you are _ but I don’t see it in the posts.

At best I rate Sam Harris as a reverse southern Baptist.

See you all in hell. 

Posted: 21 June 2005 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

[quote author=“Anonymous”]Is it just me or does Sam Harris takes advantage of the current resentment of Islamic extremists shared by a majority of the population and us it like a soap box to complain about everyone else he happens to not like. I know fundamentalists do the same thing.

I’ve looked around this forum and the only thing that I can see that draws others under Harris’ flag is that is their hatred of other groups. Hum…one group hating another group, now that sound familiar. If I was going to champion under the banner of secularization, I think I would unite other people under a better idea than, “Destroy all intolerant people!

I’m very happy that everyone has a little scrap book of news clips and articles that prove that everyone else is stupid and violent due to religious beliefs. I normally hear comments like, “This church killed thousands, and this guy said cottage cheese is of the devil.” I’m glad all of these validations of your beliefs have lead you to think that you’re all right and everyone else is wrong.

I know that this post will probably have some people in a tizzy fit. “We never said that!” will be the reply post of choice I think. If you want a prime reason for why I’m not impressed with the comments and posts of the forum it’s because I see very little evidence about what anyone wants to do about religion or what is a solution to extremism.

The best that I can get from the Sam Harris groupies is that they like Harris and his book and they like to bitch. I know a lot of you think your clever and intelligent – and maybe you are _ but I don’t see it in the posts.

See you all in hell. 

What you are saying is nothing new - there is a lot of stupidity on the internet (some of it I like very much and even laugh at).......speaking of which,  is joining in with this forum….make you STUPID as well?

I love you….and forgive you because jessuss and told me to raspberry

Posted: 21 June 2005 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

It’s just you.

Posted: 21 June 2005 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Oh…I’m really disappointed. I was hoping for something clever. I don’t know…something condescending in the way of a reply.  Maybe it’s too soon. But hey I’m just some weirdo who doesn’t know any better, the sad product of home schooling. I did not have the benefit of those fine south Florida public school teachers, some of them could even read at a high school level. I don’t know where all this rage comes from. I start reading my Bible and I get this over power desire to ethnically cleanse America. Wait I’m getting a transmission from God! “Uhhh…must destroy…all…life! Man, I wish I were Agnostic, I really think it would mellow me out.

By the way, I would like to invite all readers on the forum to REPENT!!!  Yes there is still time before all of the religions of the world swoop down upon mankind like a ravenous plague.  Who would want to be on the receiving end of that? I know I certainly wouldn’t. You don’t really have to believe the dogmas of any one religion, feel free to make one up as you go along. After all you can live in any reality you want, just as long as you remember who’s in charge of it.

May the sprit of Sam Harris bless you all.

Posted: 22 June 2005 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2004-12-22
[quote author=“Anonymous”]Is it just me or does Sam Harris takes advantage of the current resentment of Islamic extremists shared by a majority of the population and us it like a soap box to complain about everyone else he happens to not like. I know fundamentalists do the same thing.

I didn’t get the impression that Harris equates people with their beliefs. He might argue that in extreme cases religious beliefs have so cognitively damaged certain individuals (or maybe large sections of populations) that they can’t make good decisions for themselves and therefore need to become wards of rational adults. But in most cases people can drop absurd beliefs in favor of more defensible ones, and therefore they earn respect from people like Harris and me.

Frankly, I would put anyone in the incompetent category who believes he’ll get “raptured” or some other variation of christian doomsday nonsense.

Posted: 22 June 2005 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Is it just me or does Sam Harris takes advantage of the current resentment of Islamic extremists shared by a majority of the population and us it like a soap box to complain about everyone else he happens to not like. I know fundamentalists do the same thing.

I think Sam Harris is taking advantage of history in general, to comment on any kind of baseless fanaticism.  Well okay, not completely baseless, more like baseless in the sense that it’s driven by having the fear toward an out group who is thought to represent everything anathematic, even hindering your cause.  Instead of promoting a sense of baseless dogmatism in his reasoning, he speaks of pushing people to strive toward a system of good responsible rational thought.

Like it or not, having the ability to think, means people will fill their minds with something to explain the reality in which they live.  What’s best is to fill the mind with an honest tested reality with a set of ethical principles, take the positive aspects from all sorts human literature to formulate a system of thought that seeks to truly press on what’s really there.

Who’s saying one should “Destroy all intolerant people!”  I’m saying educate them with the basics, such as math, literature, biology (real biology), economics, philosophy, language.  Once all the basics are set, once people have the crap detectors installed so they’re not suggestibly weak minded, then move on to allowing people to analyze ideology.

The main thing to realize here is that any idea set should not be seen as stone cold settled.  It should stand the test of all scrutiny on its own, and not rely on various bully methods to sustain itself to keep control on the situation.  If the idea is quality, it should have the same result time & time again, upon testing it.  Relying solely on various people’s subjective interpretation as a basis to support any idea set is insubstantially weak. 

If I’m to submit an idea, I must be willing to back it up with evidence modeling its effectiveness, and I must be willing to accept that there may be others out there superior, or that my idea may be molded to fit another paradigm, or upgraded for efficiency to fit whatever task.  This is why there are professional committees that scrutinize new ideas within various professions.

Examples dismissing dogma as ludicrous is not used to claim one has a monopoly on all things considered “right”.  I would say “right” is an idea that depends on an individual’s personally formed perspective compared/contrasted with those of others.  A church killing thousands, I don’t see as right, neither do I see much credibility in anyone claiming cottage cheese to be anything other than the dairy product it is.

I would say, people need to get together and stand back to objectively analyze the reasons why religion even exists.  I’m sure all the positive benefits of religion can be gotten without the need to resort to any form of extremism, or baseless presumption.  There are efforts to make this happen.  It’s a work in progress, a part of which is this forum, where people can get together to discuss these ideas.

Your standards of intelligence are obviously those you consider to be solely in tune with your angry views, on how discussion is to be considered “bitching”, rather than progress in the sense of having new ideas that don’t require people immediately presume the absurd.

Thank you for the hardline dramatics, but I’ll disagree with you here.  I don’t see Harris selling snake oil, only letting people know of those who do.  Think of it as consumer reporting.

See you all in hell.

If I believed in it, I might be angered.  Since there’s as much chance of there being a hell as there is of being the barren areas far beyond Xanadu, I’ll have to respond as Clarence Darrow once did similarly with, go cry the sky falling somewhere else chicken little.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed