1 of 2
For those of you who are atheists…
Posted: 12 April 2007 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-09-02

I was watching the O'Reilly Factor last night and something struck me. He was showing a clip from his radio show where he was talking to tony snow about his cancer. OReilly said he went to mass to pray for him and then snow said he got a positive report then O'reilly said "for those of you who are atheists…" Then nothing else.

Of course then there was o'reilly's famous 2001 quote "The arrogance of a person who dismisses the thought of a higher power offends me."

So really this should come as no surprise.

My question is just what the holy hell was that suppossed to mean? :evil:

The idea that that is whay he got a good report? Please,  how pathetic. rolleyes 

I don't know about other poster but I'm sick of this stuff.

Posted: 12 April 2007 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

[quote author=“JESTERKING45”]I was watching the O’Reilly Factor last night and something struck me. He was showing a clip from his radio show where he was talking to tony snow about his cancer. OReilly said he went to mass to pray for him and then snow said he got a positive report then O’reilly said “for those of you who are atheists…” Then nothing else.

Of course then there was o’reilly’s famous 2001 quote “The arrogance of a person who dismisses the thought of a higher power offends me.”

So really this should come as no surprise.

My question is just what the holy hell was that suppossed to mean? :evil:

The idea that that is whay he got a good report? Please,  how pathetic. rolleyes 

I don’t know about other poster but I’m sick of this stuff.

The arrogance of a person who believes that God would decide to help out just because he asked Him to . . . If God thinks Tony Snow is deserving of a cure, then give him the cure already.  Why the ridiculous shenanigans of prayer and “answered prayer”?  Help to guy out, you BIG SOB IN THE SKY.

O’Reilly is a moron who demonstrates over and over again his inability to carry on a rational dialog.  Check out mediamatters.org for innumerable examples of his idiocy.

And stop watching his show.  There is no point.

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 12 April 2007 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2819
Joined  2005-04-29

Christians tend to be thrilled when two little (even if only superstitiously significant) coinciding events blend in a way that points to the validity of their delusion. I only know because I was there once.

So we have a Christian God who plays with humanity, coy in every way. Secretive; not willing to be tested. Beyond scientific understanding. Supernatural yet the author of nature as we see it.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 13 April 2007 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

It’s indeed too bad that folks like him are in a position to influence thought and opinion, but consider that those who watch him already agree with him, for the most part.

What the hell, we have a president who cares more deeply about blastocysts then he does about our men and women in uniform, and whose father doesn’t think atheists can even be citizens. 

I drive myself nuts if I think about this stuff!  A friend recently sent me a copy of “Demon-haunted World” by Carl Sagan.  Somehow I have missed it over the years, but am throughly enjoying it now.  How prophetic Sagan was!  His words, written over ten years ago, describe, in great detail, where we are as a country now.  A country in which a Bill O’Rielly is more revered and treasured then a Kurt Vonnegut, and a small group of cells is more important then a living, breathing person.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 13 April 2007 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2007-02-13

What the hell kind of god is this guy? He cures Tony Snow, and lets kids die?

If there is a god, he should kill himself.

Posted: 16 April 2007 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

Bill O Reilly is a moron.

Please explain to us how O Reilly’s prayer went and saved tony snow but the prayers of those 31 dead today at Virginia Tech, who might have been christian, went unanswered.

If you are chrisian, most likely you ask god to keep you safe throughout your daily activities.  I know I used to back when I believed. 

Keep me and those I love from harm’s way in thy protective care

How many christians died today?  odds are, out of 31 dead, most where theists (this is America).. and probably at least a quarter of them were staunch theists.  I wonder if we can doubt that at least one of them prayed mightily for god’s assistance right before the gun turned on them to kill them.

God was too busy helping Aunt Millie, the rabid theist, find a parking spot at the mall.

Noggin

Posted: 16 April 2007 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

[quote author=“Noggin”]

God was too busy helping Aunt Millie, the rabid theist, find a parking spot at the mall.

Noggin

No.  He was too busy protecting the free choices of the deranged shooter.

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 20 June 2007 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-09-02

I know I shouldn’t watch his show. I know he’s incompetent and McCarythyesque but I still can’t help it. He’s so over the top and ridiculous I just can’t look away.  It is remarkable to me that he can maintain an audience when he manages so often to be so over the top offensive. To the issue of media matters they send me his idiocy in my e-mail. LOL

Posted: 25 June 2007 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

Anybody catch Dawkins on O’Reilly? Not a word to be gotten in edgewise as O’Reilly made his easily refuted points. My favorite being “Well, [God’s] real to me”; the cry of hallucinating psychotics everywhere.

I noticed the same sort of thing in the Harris/Prager debate in Newsweek. I must admit to some curiosity concerning what I perceive as a reluctance to “go for the kill” on the parts of both Dawkins and Harris when their opponents have set them up so well.

I realize both are victims of editing and that both feel a (probably justified) need to maintain a polite tone so as not to feed the “angry atheist” image and stoke anti-secularist fires. Nevertheless I follow these sorts of debates/interviews and find myself waiting for a logical hammerstrike that never quite comes, even though their books are full of them.

Does anybody have a line on this?

And to waltercat I would say that watching the show falls under the rubric of “know thine enemy”. It’s never a bad idea to keep tabs on the really loopy guys.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 25 June 2007 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“mpbrockman”]Anybody catch Dawkins on O’Reilly? Not a word to be gotten in edgewise as O’Reilly made his easily refuted points. My favorite being “Well, [God’s] real to me”; the cry of hallucinating psychotics everywhere.

Well, there’s a surprise! O’Reilly not letting a guest he disagrees with speak to the issue at hand ...

rolleyes

What a fuckwad.

On the one hand, anyone like Dawkins or Harris or Hitchens has to know this is almost certainly going to be the deal if they make an appearance. On the other hand it demonstrates the intellectual vacuity and cowardice of O’Reilly et al, and of religious dogmatism in general ... for whatever the hell that’s really worth.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 25 June 2007 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23

Arrrgh. I was referring to the Harris/Warren debate in Newsweek, not Harris/Prager.

Sorry for the error. Theists often sound alike to me…

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2007 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“mpbrockman”] ... I follow these sorts of debates/interviews and find myself waiting for a logical hammerstrike that never quite comes, even though their books are full of them.

Does anybody have a line on this?

My own attitude on that sort of thing when I’m personally involved is that those who are worthy of any explanatory effort don’t need it, and those who don’t see the obvious flaws generally aren’t going to get it in any case, so why waste time with them? Either way, these knuckleheads do the work to advertise their own intellectual depravity (and those of their fans and followers).

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 25 June 2007 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
[quote author=“hampsteadpete”]It’s indeed too bad that folks like him are in a position to influence thought and opinion, but consider that those who watch him already agree with him, for the most part.

O’Reilly and his cohorts thrive by appealing to listeners’ feelings of victimhood and resentment. This approach has nothing to do with logic. It’s all about blaming things on “elites” or “sophisticates.”

The “arrogance” comment is not only infuriating but incorrect. One doesn’t have to believe in a supreme being to have feelings of humility. I have those feelings whenever I look at the night sky, especially through a telescope. To echo Waltercat’s post, theism claims to teach humility but it seems very self-centered to me.

Posted: 25 June 2007 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Carstonio”]The “arrogance” comment is not only infuriating but incorrect. One doesn’t have to believe in a supreme being to have feelings of humility. I have those feelings whenever I look at the night sky, especially through a telescope. To echo Waltercat’s post, theism claims to teach humility but it seems very self-centered to me.

“Incorrect” in this case meaning projection. I get the sense a lot of these people recognize their own buelshite, but since their intellects are compromised (sold out to faith) they “believe” that can’t be the problem. They sense the buelshite (the anger, arrogance, etc) and because as a matter of faith they can’t be the source, it must be their targets.

A bit of armchair psychology there ... could be buelshite, but if it is it’s them.

Byron

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2007 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23
[quote author=“Carstonio”] This approach has nothing to do with logic. It’s all about blaming things on “elites” or “sophisticates.”

or unwed mothers.

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2007 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-10-31

Here in Singapore now they now show The O’Reilly factor on our local cable network. I watch it occasionally when I’m depressed and need something hilarious to lift my spirits!

In the TV guide though for the first month they printed a short blurb for the show, but they made an ever so slight spelling error. I’m sure it was a mistake, but the speculation that someone in the printing room with a grudge changing it at the last minute is irresistible!

I posted it on my weblog and Flickr if anyone’s interested
http://rubenerdshow.com/blog/singapore-magazine-misspells-bill-oreilly/

Signature 

“If God doesn’t exist, how do we explain chocolate macadamia nut brownies?”
“God(s) made me an atheist. Who are you to question Him/Them?”
“Religion spelt backwards is noigiler. I don’t think that means anything, just thought I’d say it.”
“I programmed religion into a computer. Output was Insufficient evidence.”
“God and prayer aren’t saving my mum from cancer. Medical Science is.”

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed