Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007)
Posted: 13 April 2007 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2006-08-18

I haven't checked all the other posts so I suspect someone has already noted the death of Kurt Vonnegut.  Humanists, atheists, agnostics, skeptics, deists of all stripes should observe the passing of this wonderful writer from our team.  Probably the best since Twain (obviously not a totally provable statement.)

Something he said a few years back (He did NOT give the speech about more sun screen):

A last request from the late Kurt Vonnegut:

I am, incidentally, Honorary President of the American Humanist Association, having succeeded the late, great science fiction writer Isaac Asimov in that totally functionless capacity. We had a memorial service for Isaac a few years back, and I spoke and said at one point, "Isaac is up in heaven now." It was the funniest thing I could have said to an audience of humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, "Kurt is up in heaven now." That's my favorite joke.

Let me be one to say "Kurt is up in heaven now." 

Actually we know better.  Kurt is up on Trafalmador (?) with Montana Wildhack

Posted: 13 April 2007 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Well said, H Finn, thank you for the post.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 13 April 2007 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-18

Thanks, Pete. I actually meant to post this on “other reading” but my technological skills failed me again.

Posted: 14 April 2007 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2007-01-10

Perhaps my favorite Vonnegut quote is

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

Posted: 14 April 2007 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-18

Parable, great quote.

Unfortunately, I’m 61 years old and lived to see that terror.

Posted: 14 April 2007 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

I think Vonnegut was being ironic. He knew this was inevitable.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 14 April 2007 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

[quote author=“Parable”]Perhaps my favorite Vonnegut quote is

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

In highschool, I recall an election for student-body president.  One candidate was the football hero, a bully who looked and sounded like a Mafiosa foot soldier - (jabbing a finger at the audience) “So I want yous guys to get out there ‘n vote for me.”  The other candidate was a short, sturdy girl who was (later) class valedictorian.  I made campaign posters for the girl.  The football hero punched me on the shoulder, so I couldn’t use my right arm for several days.  He won the election.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 14 April 2007 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Unfortunately, I’m 61 years old and lived to see that terror

Actually, I consider myself fortunate to have reached 61, considering how badly I treated myself.  I know what you mean though.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 15 April 2007 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

In February of 2006, CBC Radio conducted an interview with an 83 yr. old Kurt Vonnegut. It’s one of the most brilliant pieces of conversation I’ve ever listened to.  You can catch this 10 minute piece at

http//www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2007/200703/20070320.html

This was a recorded replay of the original - you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page in order to find the audio prompt.

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

‹‹ The unreasonable man      New Religion ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed