Teaching I.D. in science class??
Posted: 03 August 2005 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Now that some jurisdictions may be forced to teach the non-science of Intelligent Design along with Evolution Science - what designer (creator) are we going to adopt as the most likely Maker?  Let's review our options.

http//www.livescience.com/history/top10_intelligent_designs.html

I sort of liked the Greek version of creation, especially when Uranus' hacked off testicles turned into Aphrodite.  The Judaic version is a lot less exciting!

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 03 August 2005 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

I have to go with china, a female god creating men to play with sounds much better to me )

Posted: 03 August 2005 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

Why must we be limited to the classics?  What about the possibility that we are all actually living inside of a giant computer simulation, like the Matrix movies?  Any irreducible complexities in our world are easy to explain in that context, and all the little things that don’t add up, well, when was the last time that you knew a computer that did exactly what it was supposed to do?

In fact, when you get right down to it, the simulation idea has a lot of things going for it.  After all, we have all witnessed computer simulations become exponentially more sophisticated over the past couple of decades, and the technology to stimulate a persons nerves, thus simulating experience is a growing field.  Given the progress in both fields, it is almost impossible to imagine that we won’t have Matrix like technology in the future.  Given that, which is more likely, that we are the first humans, or that we have come along after the first ones have already discovered this technology, and built the simulation that we know reside in?

I demand that this “theory” be given equal time!

-Matt

Posted: 04 August 2005 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2005-06-05

The Hindu myth sounds like a poetic version of modern astro-physics.

The earth mother of the Aztecs, Coatlicue (“skirt of snakes,”) is depicted in a fearsome way, wearing a necklace of human hearts and hands, and a skirt of snakes as her name suggests.

Reminds me of the Hindu goddess Kali.

Here are some First Nations creation stories, can’t get more American than that.  :?

http://www.indians.org/welker/legend.htm

Signature 

The road of excess leads to the palace of Wisedom
-William Blake, “Proverbs of Hell”

Life, what is it but a dream?
- Lewis Carroll, “A boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

Posted: 04 August 2005 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

What subjects schould we cut back, in order to more fully explore the myriad possible designers?

-Matt

Posted: 04 August 2005 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2005-07-18

It was the Flying Spaghetti Monster that created the universe. 

http://www.venganza.org/

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed