Unholy Strictures by Karen Armstrong
Posted: 11 August 2005 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Unholy Strictures

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 14 August 2005 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Once again, such a brilliant mind as Karen’s, it is such a pity she feels so compelled to justify such nonsense. At least she is not a literalist, she would be dangerous then.
Karen says “There are political reasons why a tiny minority of Muslims are turning to terrorism, which have nothing to do with Islam…..he can probably find scriptural texts that seem to endorse his action”
It seems like she is contradicting herself to me. It never ceases to amaze me how much religion can distort a persons view of the world, even for near-geniuses like Karen.

Posted: 22 August 2005 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“Steve in NC”]Karen says “There are political reasons why a tiny minority of Muslims are turning to terrorism, which have nothing to do with Islam…..he can probably find scriptural texts that seem to endorse his action”
It seems like she is contradicting herself to me.

What I believe she is trying to say is some Muslims turn to terrorism for political and material reasons and subsequently search for and find justification in the scriptures, after they have already chosen that path. That is what I understood her to be saying in that passage so I see no contradiction.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed