Transhuman conflict
Posted: 19 August 2005 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2004-12-22

Dear fellow members,

I work at Los Alamos National Laboratory, where, among other activities, research is conducted in simulating artificial societies. Recently, a large-scale supercomputer study was released simulating the effects of a terror strike in virtual cities in the United States. See:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/03/AR2005070300880_pf.html&ei=xz76QrnDFanKigG2jfCRDg

Along these lines, I have recently published a science fiction book to popularize the state-of-the-art research ideas I like to work on regarding transhuman conflict between science and religion ( ISBN: 1419609440 ). It received a glowing review from a New York Times best selling author. It is available at Amazon.com at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1419609440/qid=1123599258/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4797061-6659156?v=glance&s=books

The "Buy Now" button is missing (will be fixed in a few days) BUT the "1 used & new" button works.

I encourage you to read the online reviews and would welcome feedback from fellow members.

With warm regards,

Alex

Posted: 26 August 2005 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

Now you should really be ashamed of yourself using this forum for personal financial gain by hawking your book.

Stay Well

Wot

Posted: 26 August 2005 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

Thanks Wot, and I fully agree.

If someone has written something that might be of interest to the participants of this board, then telling us about it might be ok, but spamming multiple topics is certainly quite rude.

An even better approach would be to send a promotional copy to a couple of the more prolific posters that seem like they would enjoy the book.  If it is any good, they will certainly tell everyone about it.

Viral marketing is a neat concept, and all, but I am getting tired of it quickfast here.

-Matt

Posted: 26 August 2005 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Apologies that I offended some of this forum’s member’s sensibilities.  I posted to several forums for the simple reason that the message I’m trying to get across applies to multiple forums. 

I truly believe that the message of the perils/promise of our impending transcorporeal, post-Darwinian future needs to be popularized before it is too late.  Long…l o n g…before I published my book and posted it on these forums, I’ve been posting several well received essays.  I posted those same essays on multiple forums and received interesting replies across those forums.

Sorry for the few out there who concentrate on the trees, nay, shrubs and are blind to the forest.

Posted: 26 August 2005 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23
[quote author=“Anonymous”]Apologies that I offended some of this forum’s member’s sensibilities.  I posted to several forums for the simple reason that the message I’m trying to get across applies to multiple forums.

Yes, and what you are trying to get across counts as a specific comment on The End of Faith, how, exactly? 

I truly believe that the message of the perils/promise of our impending transcorporeal, post-Darwinian future needs to be popularized before it is too late.  Long…l o n g…before I published my book and posted it on these forums, I’ve been posting several well received essays.  I posted those same essays on multiple forums and received interesting replies across those forums.

True as that may be, your presence here has been a marketing campaign for your book, sans the essays and interesting replies.  If you were having coffee with someone, discussing the issues of the day, and I wandered up to you, and tried to sell you something, how would you feel?  Would it make you feel any better if I confided that I too had engaged in many conversations over coffee?

Sorry for the few out there who concentrate on the trees, nay, shrubs and are blind to the forest.

Self deprecation is cool, even more so when it is unintentional.

Of course, the transcorporeal, post-Darwinian world may not be able to move beyond such things as spam, in which case, I will hold out for something better.

-Matt

Posted: 27 August 2005 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

Now see here psi, if you could have ignored this poster, then I wouldn’t have enjoyed spitting coffee out my nose laughing at how well you owned him in this reply = )

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed