schizophrenia, not really
Posted: 16 June 2007 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-04-14

This happened like 8 months ago, but thought I'd talk about it, I started seeing a mental health doctor for depression.  While talking to him, I mentioned Sam's book and how religion is dangerous, he just nods, not saying anything, afterwards he gives me a prescription for Geodon, which is for schizophrenia/bi polar! I ended up getting in alot of mental trouble, ended up in the hospital, but anyway, what do you think of that?!

Posted: 16 June 2007 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15
[quote author=“bribri10134”]but anyway, what do you think of that?!

More importantly, bribri, what do YOU think of that? Did you actually ask  your doctor what these pills were for? Did the words “schizophrenia” or “bi-polar” never creep into the conversation prior to his handing you this prescription? Did you not look them up on the internet when you got home, prior to popping them?

I guess what you’re asking us (for some strange reason) is whether it’s feasible that your doc thinks you’re bonkers for mentioning your opinion on religion. Sure, it’s certainly possible. . . but might there have been other things that influenced his decision to choose that med? If not, then you probably have the makings of a case against him. But if he did have ample reason to suspect you were bi-polar, and failed to adequately convey that diagnosis to you, then this was a case of very poor communication on both your parts.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 17 June 2007 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-04-14

Your right, there was a failure of communication, I didn’t ask enough questions regarding my meds, I just feel he should have explained it to me before I started taking them, I trusted him.  I found out later about it, after I started taking these meds.  Maybe I should get another doctor, unfortunately the doctor i go to is part of a government funded organization, I can’t afford anything else.  Luckily i’ve been tampering off the meds and hopefully i’ll get off them completely soon, and won’t need to see a doctor anymore.  I’ve been reading up on Buddhism, and have found it to help with my depression.  I was taking some anti depressents and they made me feel emotionaly numb which is not good, I think alot of our problems can be solved with conversation.  Just like Sam says grin

Posted: 17 June 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-04-14

well I’ve been thinking more about it and remember now that I mentioned to him that I might be bipolar, cause my mom is, but the meds weren’t only for bi polar, but also schizophrenia, so I don’t know *shrugs*  I don’t think i’m bipolar, he did try me on a different bipolar med later on, that really messed me up, i have alot of weird thoughts and it made me focus in on those thoughts.  I just like the way I am I guess, I don’t know if it’s bi polor or not, *shrugs*

Posted: 17 June 2007 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2818
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“bribri10134”]well I’ve been thinking more about it and remember now that I mentioned to him that I might be bipolar, cause my mom is, but the meds weren’t only for bi polar, but also schizophrenia, so I don’t know *shrugs*  I don’t think i’m bipolar, he did try me on a different bipolar med later on, that really messed me up, i have alot of weird thoughts and it made me focus in on those thoughts.  I just like the way I am I guess, I don’t know if it’s bi polor or not, *shrugs*

Some people with bipolar disorder tend to benefit from anti-psychotics (i.e., Geodon, risperdal) because their thoughts can get out of control. In small doses, such a prescription can be helpful. But beware of increased appetite which commonly causes weight gain. Keep the dose as low as possible, and don’t expect too much of therapeutic value. In the words of an old college buddy of mine who’s had psych. problems all his life, Risperdal can turn your mind into cotton wool. Poetic guy.

I clearly remember a time in my life—when I was an adolescent—during which I’d have appreciated the relief of having my mind become something akin to cotton wool. I’d probably have given up my left nut for such relief. Maybe both. Good luck, bri.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 18 June 2007 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

Hi Bribri,

Our medical system isn’t functioning very well but there are some very good doctors out there.
Even though you are restricted in your choice you may want to ask around and get a referral from someone you know and trust rather than getting “assigned’ to a random shrink.
Even if it costs you some money it is probably worth it.

One final piece of advice ( boy, isn’t is easy to pass around advice, much easier than actually taking it :D ) ; Buddhism and all the other isms are really interesting, but when I was younger and going through a rough time mentally I was WAY too much into Buddhism and a bunch of other serious stuff and it didn’t do me any good.
These lofty theories are better explored once a person has some solid ground under their feet.

Cheers,

Sander

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed