5 of 12
Buddhism as a model?
Posted: 10 July 2007 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2006-12-16

[quote author=“M is for Malapert”]
It just feels like there is a central actor?  Well, yes, it certainly does feel like that.  It feels so much like it that it really sucks to know that someday that illusion-producing process will stop.

You can dress it up in saffron robes, genuflect to it, or paint it black—it all comes down to the same thing.  You happen to be using an unremarkable fact about consciousness to further a personal need.

When the illusion-producing process stops, even for an instant, so does personal need. Then the personal need becomes for the illusion to once again stop. That leads some people to dress up in saffron robes and act silly, it leads other people to spend an inordinant amount of time looking at mountains and trees, it leads other people to a stong need to brush away nonsense.
The unremarkable facts about consciousness sometimes lead to the remarkable fact of non-separation. Separation is the illusion.

Posted: 10 July 2007 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“mahahaha”][quote author=“Salt Creek”]If you really want to understand not-being, mahahaha, you need the intimation of superfluity brought on by being in the presence of a woman with a sex toy.

Boy, where I come from, the women don’t need no stinkin’ sex toys.

Yeah…  I’ve heard that—also “I’d know if she was faking.”

There is no correct emoticon over on the side.  You have to picture a gently loving smile, such as on statues of the Buddha.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 10 July 2007 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Pat_Adducci”][quote author=“M is for Malapert”]
It just feels like there is a central actor?  Well, yes, it certainly does feel like that.  It feels so much like it that it really sucks to know that someday that illusion-producing process will stop.

You can dress it up in saffron robes, genuflect to it, or paint it black—it all comes down to the same thing.  You happen to be using an unremarkable fact about consciousness to further a personal need.

When the illusion-producing process stops, even for an instant, so does personal need. Then the personal need becomes for the illusion to once again stop. That leads some people to dress up in saffron robes and act silly, it leads other people to spend an inordinant amount of time looking at mountains and trees, it leads other people to a stong need to brush away nonsense.
The unremarkable facts about consciousness sometimes lead to the remarkable fact of non-separation. Separation is the illusion.

YeahWhateverPat.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

Posted: 10 July 2007 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“M is for Malapert”]You have to picture a gently loving smile, such as on statues of the Buddha.

That’s…

[quote author=“Pat_Adducci”]When the illusion-producing process stops

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 10 July 2007 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]My typical haunts were on the Northside, but I occasionally made the pilgrimage past Sproul to the gamier side of campus.

You know, I missed out on the Berkeley experience to some extent because I never, well, hardly ever went south of Sproul.  Not that I can remember, except for buying books on the south side of Bancroft.

Mostly that’s because I grew up in north Berkeley and gravitated back there when I went to UC.

That would be just south of Sproul.  Further south, obviously.  But that area just around Bancroft, Telegraph, and College—I’m a tourist there.  Literally, I’ve been given guided tours in recent years by people who never even LIVED in Berkeley.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“M is for Malapert”]Mostly that’s because I grew up in north Berkeley and gravitated back there when I went to UC.

One bit of advice for you, Benjamin: Top Dog.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2006-10-12
[quote author=“M is for Malapert”]Yeah…  I’ve heard that—also “I’d know if she was faking.”

As a thrice married cynical old fart, that’s ONE illusion from which I don’t suffer.

Signature 

“Believe those who seek the truth; doubt those who find it”—Andre Gide

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“mahahaha”][quote author=“M is for Malapert”]Yeah…  I’ve heard that—also “I’d know if she was faking.”

As a thrice married cynical old fart, that’s ONE illusion from which I don’t suffer.

You have now submitted evidence relating to duration and depth. Uncoerced.

Now you (and we) know for a certainty that she was faking. Several times.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-12

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]You have now submitted evidence relating to duration and depth. Uncoerced.

Now you (and we) know for a certainty that she was faking. Several times.

To paraphrase the dear departed Herr Rumsfeld: you go to bed with the woman you have, not the woman you wish you had.

I still recommend weed, wine, Diana Krall and massage oil.  Even if she fakes it, you won’t.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“M is for Malapert”]Mostly that’s because I grew up in north Berkeley and gravitated back there when I went to UC.

One bit of advice for you, Benjamin: Top Dog.

Now just a minute.  What is that supposed to mean???

Again no emoticon suffices.  Picture a possible miff.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-12
[quote author=“M is for Malapert”]Picture a possible miff.

I know what a milf is.  What’s a miff?

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2007 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

[quote author=“M is for Malapert”][quote author=“mahahaha”][quote author=“Salt Creek”]If you really want to understand not-being, mahahaha, you need the intimation of superfluity brought on by being in the presence of a woman with a sex toy.

Boy, where I come from, the women don’t need no stinkin’ sex toys.

Yeah…  I’ve heard that—also “I’d know if she was faking.”

There is no correct emoticon over on the side.  You have to picture a gently loving smile, such as on statues of the Buddha.

Or, from the other side, consider the King Tut funeral mask.

Posted: 10 July 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

[quote author=“M is for Malapert”][quote author=“Salt Creek”]My typical haunts were on the Northside, but I occasionally made the pilgrimage past Sproul to the gamier side of campus.

You know, I missed out on the Berkeley experience to some extent because I never, well, hardly ever went south of Sproul.  Not that I can remember, except for buying books on the south side of Bancroft.

Mostly that’s because I grew up in north Berkeley and gravitated back there when I went to UC.

That would be just south of Sproul.  Further south, obviously.  But that area just around Bancroft, Telegraph, and College—I’m a tourist there.  Literally, I’ve been given guided tours in recent years by people who never even LIVED in Berkeley.

Anybody recall the Steppenwolf around 1965, 66?  I left Bezerkley in the spring of 64 for Tucson, of all places, but got back in the summers.

Posted: 10 July 2007 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

My sanctimonious ego being bruised, I find, inexplicably, that I now desperately crave Salty’s approval.  I want to say something that he agrees with wholeheartedly, without any argument, doubt or quibbling - something intellectual and logical, as mahahaha said; mathematical while we’re at it!  Who can quibble with simple arithmatic?

Somewhere in ‘The End of Faith’ Sam mentioned that if you fold a sheet of newspaper 100 times it will be thicker than the Universe.  It just now struck me that if you folded Salty 100 times he would be much, much thicker than the Universe. 

This isn’t hard to prove.  Let’s say that he’s in good shape, and the first fold gives you 20 inches.  Now use your calculator and fold the 20 inches, giving you 40 inches.  Then, just keep going for another 98 folds.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 10 July 2007 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“burt”][quote author=“M is for Malapert”]

Or, from the other side, consider the King Tut funeral mask.

Or even the archaic smile.

(Other side to what?  This is bothering me.  When you are recovering from a fractured spine you have all kinds of time.)

Signature 

5 of 12

‹‹ How are we born?      Different Models ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed