The following 2 rules (posted repeatedly by myself) work as a great start to any philosophy of being:
1) Be Kind.
2) Do to others as you would have others do to you.
(or… do not do to others as you would not have done to you.)
Those 2 rules are a great start and cover pretty much any scenario you care to throw at them.
This is a nice starting point and will suffice with 90% of the world. I am curious about the other 10%
How do you do unto the terrorist, the child molester, the rapist. How do you show kindness to the unrepentant murderer? Maybe you are able to but how do you make this into a consistent ethic. How does explain to the now childless father the necessity of kindness to his child’s killer? I am truly curious. YOur philosophy is similar to Christ’s but one could reasonably see the need for kindness in a Christian universe. (Kindness makes us God-like) How does one rationalize such a kindness in a meaningless universe? Why should I be kind to the killer who just took someone eternally out of existence?
I am NOT saying that atheists are immoral and unethical. I am just looking for a convinincing argument for kindness in the face of evil people.