3 of 3
Why are you referring to yourself as an "Atheist"
Posted: 17 July 2007 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2007-07-17
[quote author=“Dan Rowden”]I just refer to myself as sane - covers all bases.

You forgot ‘in’.

Posted: 17 July 2007 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04
[quote author=“VicM”][quote author=“Dan Rowden”]I just refer to myself as sane - covers all bases.

You forgot ‘in’.

I don’t know - I’m an atheist for more substantial reasons than that it happens to be “in” right now.

Don’t worry, Vic. I got your meaning. If you stick around for more than a few attacks, I’m sure you’ll find yourself enmeshed in some fascinating discourse. If not, you’ll be written off as another drive-by.

Cheers.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 18 July 2007 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-07-07

[quote author=“g.wood”][quote author=“sidewalkjester”] atheists assume there is no supernatural.

“Supernatural” means outside of nature.

“Nature” is everything that exists.

Nothing exists outside of everything, except imagination. So, yeah, you’re right about that, ‘jester.

I will ask, why is imagination outside of nature?

[quote author=“g.wood”]I used to call myself an animist. Got tired of explaining what it means.

See, I would prefer, you continue to pursue the designation, construct a moral philosophy that supports the concept; and gather a community that agrees with you to promote the philosophy as to be the better evolution of Mankind (religion).

You see, in a republic-democracy, no one person’s idea means anything (including Harris, Dawkins, Hutchens, and the rest), unless that person can pursuade others to participate in the concept. So, is a person really an Animist if no one else is?

Posted: 18 July 2007 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-16

I will ask, why is imagination outside of nature?

Point was that an idea someone has doesn’t become a part of nature/everything just because they can conceive of it, despite what St. Augustine said. For instance, there is no Santa Claus.

See, I would prefer, you continue to pursue the designation, construct a moral philosophy that supports the concept; and gather a community that agrees with you to promote the philosophy as to be the better evolution of Mankind (religion)...

This guy is already doing it—
http://www.ishmael.com

I liked his first two books very much.

So, is a person really an Animist if no one else is?

I’d say so. Was Ishi really a Yahi?

Signature 

Music by me: http://www.myspace.com/gwoodbonobos

Posted: 18 July 2007 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2007-07-17

Hey happy!

I see that you ran from the other forum topic! I don’t blame you. If you can’t beat’em - run.

Posted: 18 July 2007 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“VicM”]Hey happy!

I see that you ran from the other forum topic! I don’t blame you. If you can’t beat’em - run.

It’s called leaving the house for a while.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed