2 of 2
The Return of Narcissus - A Clarification
Posted: 16 August 2007 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“Anonymous”]. . .
. . . Last winter I was staying at a Hotel in Sacramento California, at around 11pm about six young people checked-in to the room next to me. Within about half an hour I could hear that these six people were starting to get their groove on (if you know what I mean). I went out to the swimming pool area where my sliding glass door and theirs was located and tried to see what was going on. Guess what I saw? They were having an orgy with a strobe light turned on and one of them was video taping the whole thing. No s***!

No shit! If you’re trying to prank us, then I congratulate you. You’ve succeeded up to now. If not, grow a brain.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 16 August 2007 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02
[quote author=“Carstonio”][quote author=“Guest”]I don’t believe my post does imply that fundamentalism has an exclusive claim to morality. The post simply postulates that BOTH fundamentalism AND a kind of societal decadence need to be watched closely as they are flip-sides of the same civiliztion.

Thanks for the clarification.

[quote author=“Guest”]Sam Harris say’s, “no society was ever too reasonable”, well I don’t think it reasonable for people to have orgies in (basically) public places. I think it’s reasonable for me to say, ‘have all the orgies you want just not in public hotel rooms.’

I agree in principle. I just don’t know if your conclusions about moral decay are accurate, although I’m not an expert in human nature. We don’t know the mindsets of the young people you saw, we have only speculations. I was concerned for a minute that you were trying to blame such a decay on Darwinism and Engel v. Vitale, but that doesn’t seem to be your intentions.

Oh, God no!! (pun intended) I am an atheist to the core and my father was a physical chemist. Darwin is one of my absolute heroes! Also, I would never try and pass legislation banning orgies in Hotels.

I will give you a another example: “I have a niece who has been dating a felon with the word ‘Aryan’ tatooed across his back. Now, the problem for me is not that she is dating a felon with Aryan tatooed across his back, my problem is that somewhere along the line she got it into her head that dating a felon with Aryan tatooed across his back was acceptable.”

I think any self respecting person would find that unacceptable. Does this make me unreasonable? I don’t think so. Now, if she were dating a guy who at one time in his youth was a felon but cleaned-up his act and had a tatoo of the word Aryan removed from his back, that would be a different story entirely.

Posted: 16 August 2007 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“homunculus”][quote author=“Anonymous”]. . .
. . . Last winter I was staying at a Hotel in Sacramento California, at around 11pm about six young people checked-in to the room next to me. Within about half an hour I could hear that these six people were starting to get their groove on (if you know what I mean). I went out to the swimming pool area where my sliding glass door and theirs was located and tried to see what was going on. Guess what I saw? They were having an orgy with a strobe light turned on and one of them was video taping the whole thing. No s***!

No s***! If you’re trying to prank us, then I congratulate you. You’ve succeeded up to now. If not, grow a brain.

I bet your one of those guy’s who if you were driving and enclosed within two tons of steel and someone cut you off you would flip them off and talk smack, but if someone did that while you were walking on the street you wouldn’t say boo.

If you have something of merit to say then say it, otherwise keep hiding behind your keyboard.

Posted: 16 August 2007 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“Anonymous”]I bet your one of those guy’s

I’ll bet you’re one of those guys who does not know how to use an apostrophe. Of course, an apostrophe is of know use when talking smack. Especially to someone with ‘Aryan’ tattooed across his tongue.

I think any self respecting person would find that unacceptable.

No sh!t, Sherlock. Or should I say? No nonsense, Narcissus.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 16 August 2007 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“Anonymous”]I bet your one of those guy’s

I’ll bet you’re one of those guys who does not know how to use an apostrophe. Of course, an apostrophe is of know use when talking smack.

I think any self respecting person would find that unacceptable.

No sh!t, Sherlock. Or should I say? No nonsense, Narcissus.

Welcome back to the fray my friend. I am so glad you have something of worth to say. It is always a pleasure conversing with such erudite individuals as yourself.

Posted: 16 August 2007 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“Anonymous”]I bet your one of those guy’s who if you were driving and enclosed within two tons of steel and someone cut you off you would flip them off and talk smack, but if someone did that while you were walking on the street you wouldn’t say boo.

If you have something of merit to say then say it, otherwise keep hiding behind your keyboard.

My apologies, Anonymous.

In case your interested, when Im in my car its either raining or Im taking my kids somewhere. My kid car Pontiac Montana SV6 complete with solid rear axel, asper 1940s technology. Sew I never flip any one the bird . . . unless Im absolutely certain my kids heads are sufficiently buried in their videogames. Actually, no even then. But when Im in my old Honda ST1100, fingers flight up at me once and a while in I love every minute of that.

(Just having a little fun, okay? Can you take a gentle ribbing? Also, I wasn’t calling you a racist yesterday.)

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 16 August 2007 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“homunculus”][quote author=“Anonymous”]I bet your one of those guy’s who if you were driving and enclosed within two tons of steel and someone cut you off you would flip them off and talk smack, but if someone did that while you were walking on the street you wouldn’t say boo.

My apologies, Anonymous.

In case your interested, when Im in my car its either raining or Im taking my kids somewhere. My kid car Pontiac Montana SV6 complete with solid rear axel, asper 1940s technology. Sew I never flip any one the bird . . . unless Im absolutely certain my kids heads are sufficiently buried in their videogames. Actually, no even then. But when Im in my old Honda ST1100, fingers flight up at me once and a while in I love every minute of that.

(Just having a little fun, okay? Can you take a gentle ribbing? Also, I wasn’t calling you a racist yesterday.)

I certainly can take a little gentle ribbing, but I don’t know you, and the ether of the internet is sometimes a thick fog where friendly ribbing can look like a hostile attack.

I live in Manhattan so I’m constantly flipping people off, it’s one of the benefits.  :wink:

Posted: 16 August 2007 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

Manhattan’s a great place for flipping people off, especially cab drivers when you’re riding a bicycle. Always have an escape route, though. I once did it right in the face of a very large parking-garage attendant and he quietly recommended that I leave his presence within a split second. In so many words. I guess he was feeling generous that day. I also flipped off a cop one time years ago in Santa Rosa and almost but not quite got hauled away. I’m older now.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 16 August 2007 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I use my bicycle all the time. I can’t tell you how many cabs have my heel print embedded in their driver side doors. At least you know your alive when you ride a bicycle in Manhattan. B.A.S.E. jumpers have nothing on us in the hutzpa department.

Posted: 17 August 2007 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

[quote author=“Salt Creek”] By the way, what do you think of the Spanish conquest of the Americas? Is it at all reversible?

No, senor, es eterno.

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed