4 of 4
'Self' is a social construct
Posted: 10 September 2007 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Well, now I understand why you Salty (and many others) are strict materialists, I was wondering how you could reconcile the differences between matter and energy?  Ahh, there is no essential difference.  Perhaps all that you are saying is that they are interchangeable phenomena, thus not exclusively separate entities.  But I think humans DO manage to perceive the difference Matter is substance that occupies space and has weight, and can exist as a solid, a liquid, or a gas; Energy is a capacity to do work. Light, heat, and electricity are forms of energy.  Of course one can turn into the other and vice versa, energy is after all either kinetic or potential.

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 07 July 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2011-12-28

CanZen,

Actually this triggers for me, something which has been trying to break the surface for a while,  First think of the above as biological in nature and that which is not purely biological, is then biological extension. The sense of self I would venture to say is a necessity at all levels of organized biology, it is something that is not in one place but is somewhat of an illusion triggered say by a critical mass or critical complexity where the interconnections and interdependencies demand a sense of center in order to relate their needs to this level of a totality, or perhaps it is the complexity of interdependencies and interconnects which communicates constantly and it is this constant communication which is the sense of self,  but is found throughout the organism a various levels yet, all connected in the organisms as a totality. Now what has proved to be a most successful plan, the biological organism as a self, it continues along this biological adventure as biological extension/s, you are now belonging and communicating with other people as your interconnections and interdependencies begin forming from childhood on. Does this not strike you as the logical progression of organism and quite as natural in its extension?

Just an added thought: Seeing as it is the conscious subject that bestows meaning upon the world, is it not logical that the meaning he has given to context is the very materials of this social construct of self.

[ Edited: 08 July 2013 12:00 AM by boagie]
 Signature 

The Christian religion not only was at first attended with miracles, but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without one.
David Hume

Posted: 07 March 2014 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-06

Hi Canzen,

Have been trying to connect with you.

Can you connect with me please.

Regards,
Farokh

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed