2 of 3
Zen for the Day
Posted: 21 December 2007 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

“For the sake of this Great Teaching, the ancients gave up their bodies and their lives and endured endless immeasurable hardship and toil, until the thoroughly clarified its profound essential message.  They treasured it like a precious jewel and guarded it like their eyes.  They worked on it assiduously and never let it be taken lightly or defiled.

As soon as the slightest trace of special understanding arises, it is like clouds casting a pall over a clear sky, like dust obscuring the surface of a mirror.

Caoshan instructed people to guard this matter as carefully as if they were passing through a village with poisoned wells and could not let a single drop of the poisoned water touch them.

By forgetting conditioned mind and cutting off conditioned awareness, you arrive in practice at the true realm of Thusness.  There is nothing on your mind and no mind on things: you are equanimous and free from contrived actions, transcendent as you move on alone.

Only when you yourself walk upon the ground of reality can you help people by dissolving sticking points and removing bonds.”

(from the book, ‘ZEN LETTERS - Teachings of Yuanwu’ translated by J.C. Cleary and Thomas Cleary)

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 16 January 2008 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

“If for a moment we make way with our petty selves, wish no ill on anyone, apprehend no ill, cease to be but as a crystal which reflects a ray - what shall we not reflect!  What a universe will appear crystallized and radiant around us.”

Thoreau

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 27 January 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

“If you are mentally somewhere else, you miss real life.”
- (philosophy of the Zen tea ceremony)

“Happiness . . . not in another place, but this place . . . not for another hour, but this hour.” - Walt Whitman

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2008 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Zen for the Day

How many people realize that the unconditioned mind they were born with is a manifestation of universal consciousness?  How many, no matter how conditioned they are from years of experience, knowledge, successes or setbacks, can effortlessly drop it all and return to the ‘scenery of the fundamental ground’, as one might visit a remote corner of a pristine national park? 

For religious people, this untrammeled mind may be seen as a forbidding place, flawed, unprotected, vulnerable to the wiles of demons, but for the Zen adept it is simple, unadorned reality.  It is no place else but here. 

“The only worry is that your initial realization will not be accurate and true.  If there is anything in your breast, then you’re hung up and blocked.  If you want to reach accord quickly, you must dissolve everything as soon as it happens, like a snowflake placed on a red-hot stove.  Then you will naturally open through and become peaceful and still and attain great liberation.”

“Step back and examine this . . .  Few people believe their inherent mind is Buddha.  Most will not take this seriously and therefore are cramped.”

(quotes from “Zen Letters - Teachings of Yuanwu” translated by J.C. Cleary and Thomas Cleary)

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2008 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

“It Doesn’t Come from Outside”

“It will always be hard to tame the will for fame and rank and power and position, not to mention all the myriad starting points of vexation and turmoil associated with the burning house of worldly existence.  The only way is for you yourself to realize your fundamental, real, wondrous wholeness and reach the stage of great calm and stability and rest.

“It would be best if you managed to cast off everything and be empty and ordinary.  Thoroughly experience the absence of conditioned mind, and observe that all phenomena are like dreams and magical illusions.  Be empty all the way through, and continue clearing out your mind according to the time and the situation.  Then you will have the same correct foundation as all the great enlightened laymen in Buddhist tradition.

“If you become aware of getting at all stuck or blocked, this is all false thought at work.  Make yourself completely untrammeled, like empty space, like a clear mirror on its stand, like the rising sun lighting up the sky.  Moving or still, going or coming, it doesn’t come from outside.  Let go and make yourself independent and free, not being bound by things and not seeking to escape from things.  From beginning to end, fuse everything into one whole.”

(if you enter) “. . . the uncontrived, uncluttered ocean of true nature, then your life here on this earth will not be a loss.” - Zen Master Yuanwu, circa 1120

Quoted from ‘Zen Letters - Teachings of Yuanwu’ translated by J.C. Cleary and Thomas Cleary

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

“It is proper to doubt.  Do not be led by holy scriptures, or by mere logic or inference, or by appearances, or by the authority of religious leaders.  But when you realize that something is unwholesome and bad for you, give it up.  And when you realize that something is wholesome and good for you, do it.”  - Buddha (circa 500 B.C.)

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2008 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
unsmoked - 19 July 2008 05:00 PM

“It is proper to doubt.  Do not be led by holy scriptures, or by mere logic or inference, or by appearances, or by the authority of religious leaders.  But when you realize that something is unwholesome and bad for you, give it up.  And when you realize that something is wholesome and good for you, do it.”  - Buddha (circa 500 B.C.)

Most (fundamental) religions would probably consider the Buddha to be the Devil.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 19 July 2008 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
lindajean - 19 July 2008 05:52 PM

Most (fundamental) religions would probably consider the Buddha to be the Devil.

Right.  And they interpret pictures or statues of Buddha as an idol, something they consider evil.

I’ve tried, without success, to convince Christians that a statue of Buddha is an artist’s attempt to show Buddha in a relaxed, natural, PRESENT (not pre-occupied) state of mind - a mind that isn’t looking for anything, isn’t expecting anything, a mind uncluttered by worries, angst, desires, ambitions, fears, resentments etc.

“A mind free of angst is like an engine free of sludge, a radio free of static, a bird out of its cage.”  - Po Ta To

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2008 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
unsmoked - 19 July 2008 07:03 PM
lindajean - 19 July 2008 05:52 PM

Right.  And they interpret pictures or statues of Buddha as an idol, something they consider evil.

I’ve tried, without success, to convince Christians that a statue of Buddha is an artist’s attempt to show Buddha in a relaxed, natural, PRESENT (not pre-occupied) state of mind - a mind that isn’t looking for anything, isn’t expecting anything, a mind uncluttered by worries, angst, desires, ambitions, fears, resentments etc.

“A mind free of angst is like an engine free of sludge, a radio free of static, a bird out of its cage.”  - Po Ta To

Why would a painting of Jesus or a little plastic Jesus hanging from one’s review mirror, not be considered an idol if we are using the same “logical” stance?

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 21 July 2008 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
lindajean - 19 July 2008 08:55 PM

Why would a painting of Jesus or a little plastic Jesus hanging from one’s review mirror, not be considered an idol if we are using the same “logical” stance?

I don’t care if it rains or freezes
long as I got my plastic Jesus
sitting on the dashboard of my car

I don’t care if it snows or flurries
Jesus’ll protect me from all worries,
Jesus will protect me from afar

Wish I could recall the rest of the verses, anybody
out there know them?

Posted: 17 September 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

The Zen Shortcut

“The shortcut of Zen is to leave the present and directly experience the state before birth, before the division of wholeness.”  - Zen Master Mi-an (circa A.D. 1100)

Then, the grieving person is relieved of grief, the angry person is relieved of anger, the jealous person is relieved of jealousy.  Returning to the everyday world where many up and down feelings are rampant, the person who has taken the ‘Zen shortcut’ doesn’t get dragged around by emotions any more.  If nothing else, they can view their own changing moods with a certain sardonic detachment.  “I see you!”

Mi-an’s comment quoted from the book, ‘ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom’ - translated and edited by Thomas Cleary

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2008 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
unsmoked - 17 September 2008 02:43 PM

The Zen Shortcut

“The shortcut of Zen is to leave the present and directly experience the state before birth, before the division of wholeness.”  - Zen Master Mi-an (circa A.D. 1100)

The Unsmoked Shortcut

The shortcut of Unsmoked is to leave the scientific method and directly experience the state of unreason, before the division of sweet-smelling bullshit from what is actually going on in the world by quoting a pre-medieval bliss ninny.
- Zen Master Sander (circa A.D. 2008)

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 18 September 2008 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I forever wish you innner peace Sander ZEN master. And use as much gobbly gook, cosmic, rabble babble as you need to get through your day. Now excuse me while I change dimensions and try to see where my cat went.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 18 September 2008 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

“Salt Creek said, “I don’t like to hear the word BUDDHA.”

“Tell me, why was he like this?  Was it because BUDDHA means ‘omniscient person’ that he didn’t want to hear the word?  Clearly, this was not the reason.  Since it wasn’t this, then why didn’t he want to hear the word?  If you are a clear-eyed person, then you’ll know where it’s really at as soon as you hear of this.  Let me ask you:  Where is it really at, what does it really mean?  Try to divulge what you think about this so I can see.”

“When McReason saw Champ coming, he would face the wall - was this helping people or not?  Where is the proper proportion?  If you want to act in accord with him, what approach should you take?”

Every time Master Sander went to the hall, when he had finished expounding the evils of fuckwittery, and the assembly was dispersing, he would call to them again.  When they turned around he would say, “What is it?”

Pat Aducci said, “Tell me what Master Sander used to say as everyone was leaving the hall: whom was it used to contact, and how could insight be attained from it.”

(Except for the names and the subject of Sander’s sermon, quote is taken from the book, ‘ZEN LETTERS - Teachings of Yuanwu’ - Translated by J.C. Cleary and Thomas Cleary).

[ Edited: 18 September 2008 11:40 AM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2008 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

LOL Unsmoked. Are you OK? Sometimes I wonder. grin

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

2 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed