Ann Coulter on CNBC Show: Jews Need ‘Perfecting’
Posted: 11 October 2007 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-12-05

NEW YORK Appearing on Donny Deutsch’s CNBC show, “The Big Idea,” on Monday night, columnist/author Ann Coulter suggested that the U.S. would be a better place if there weren’t any Jewish people and that they needed to “perfect” themselves into—Christians.

It led Deutsch to suggest that surely she couldn’t mean that, and when she insisted she did, he said this sounded “anti-Semitic.”

Asked by Deutsch whether she wanted to be like “the head of Iran” and “wipe Israel off the Earth,” Coulter stated: “No, we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say. ... That’s what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament.”

Deutsch told E&P;‘s sibling magazine, Adweek, today, “I was offended. And then, and this was interesting, she started to back off and seemed a little upset.”

Asked to gauge her reaction, Deutsch said, “I think she got frightened that maybe she had crossed a line, that this was maybe a faux pas of great proportions. I mean, did it show ignorance? Anti-Semitism? It wasn’t just one of those silly things.”
Source with transcipt

how far can she push it?

Signature 

“All Truth passes through Three Stages: First, it is Ridiculed…
Second, it is Violently Opposed…
Third, it is Accepted as being Self-Evident.”

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted: 11 October 2007 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

If someone like Dobson had said this, I would take it as evidence that fundamentalist Christianity is inextricably linked with anti-Semitism and racism. But since that was Coulter, the likely explanation was that she was her usual self - deliberately generating controversy just to get attention.

Posted: 11 October 2007 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

Oops, this posted twice - sorry.

[ Edited: 11 October 2007 11:31 PM by mpbrockman]
 Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 11 October 2007 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23

Asked to gauge her reaction, Deutsch said, “I think she got frightened that maybe she had crossed a line, that this was maybe a faux pas of great proportions. I mean, did it show ignorance? Anti-Semitism? It wasn’t just one of those silly things.”

I lean towards ignorance as an explanation. When I’ve read her columns or heard her speak I’m always struck by the fact that she doesn’t seem to have an original thought in her head. She seems a pastiche of caricatures of right-wing thought presenting itself as somehow bold and insightful.

She’s got a wealth of stock opinions, but I don’t think she actually thinks any of them through. The look of fright Deutsch mentions may have been the light coming on just long enough to illuminate the potential fallout from her words.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2007 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2006-10-12
mpbrockman - 12 October 2007 03:29 AM

I lean towards ignorance as an explanation. When I’ve read her columns or heard her speak I’m always struck by the fact that she doesn’t seem to have an original thought in her head. She seems a pastiche of caricatures of right-wing thought presenting itself as somehow bold and insightful.

She is all of that, as well as being a legitimate died in the wool jesus freak:

Coulter says that she holds Christian beliefs, but has avoided disclosing her membership of any particular denomination. At one public lecture she said: “I don’t care about anything else: Christ died for my sins and nothing else matters.”[49] In a 2004 column,[50] she summarized her view of Christianity: “Jesus’ distinctive message was: People are sinful and need to be redeemed, and this is your lucky day because I’m here to redeem you even though you don’t deserve it, and I have to get the crap kicked out of me to do it.” She then mocked “the message of Jesus ... according to liberals,” summarising it as “...something along the lines of ‘be nice to people’,” which, in turn, she said “is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity (as opposed to other religions, specifically Islam)”.

Confronting some critics’ views that her content and style of writing is un-Christian,[51][52] she has stated that “I’m a Christian first and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don’t you ever forget it.”[53] She has also said: “... Christianity fuels everything I write. Being a Christian means that I am called upon to do battle against lies, injustice, cruelty, hypocrisy — you know, all the virtues in the church of liberalism.”[54] In Godless: The Church of Liberalism, as well as in personal appearances, Coulter makes it very clear that she is a creationist, claiming that there is no evidence proving the theory of evolution and calling it “bogus science”.[55][56]

On 8 October 2007, when Coulter was talking about Republicans with Donny Deutsch, a CNBC talk-show host who is Jewish, she implied that she considered Christianity a virtue, which prompted Deutsch to ask her, “It would be better if we were all Christian?”, to which Coulter replied “Yes”. Deutsch asked her, “We should all be Christian?”, and got the same response, with an invitation to come to church. Later on, Coulter said, “we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say”, saying that this was what Christianity was, and she compared the New Testament to Federal Express. Further, Coulter said that Christians considered themselves to be perfected Jews. Deutsch implied that this was an anti-Semitic remark, but Coulter said she didn’t consider it to be a hateful comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter#Religious_views

She clearly has drunk the cool aid then asked for another gallon.

Signature 

“Believe those who seek the truth; doubt those who find it”—Andre Gide

Posted: 16 October 2007 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23

Thanks for the wiki link. Here’s more fun with Ann from Oct. 5th of this year:

“If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about another Democrat president. It’s kind of a pipe dream, it’s a personal fantasy of mine…”    -Ann Coulter

Take away women’s votes because “women are voting so stupidly”.
She continued, saying that she doesn’t think it will happen, and says that she places the blame on single women.

??!!!

gulp

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2007 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

I posted this in the other Coulter thread:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200710100008

DEUTSCH: That isn’t what I said, but you said I should not—we should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians, then, or—

COULTER: Yeah.

DEUTSCH: Really?

COULTER: Well, it’s a lot easier. It’s kind of a fast track.

DEUTSCH: Really?

COULTER: Yeah. You have to obey.

DEUTSCH: You can’t possibly believe that.

COULTER: Yes.

DEUTSCH: You can’t possibly—you’re too educated, you can’t—you’re like my friend in—

COULTER: Do you know what Christianity is? We believe your religion, but you have to obey.

———————————

COULTER: No, we think—we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say.

DEUTSCH: Wow, you didn’t really say that, did you?

COULTER: Yes. That is what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws.

Does Coulter really see religion as about obeying laws instead of belief? Is she saying that Jews are simply refusing to obey the “law”? If not, can you decipher her logic?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed