The Essene Sect
Posted: 24 October 2007 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  528
Joined  2007-10-24

What is historically known about the Essene sect? I’m looking for some decent books on this subject.

(Please, no arguing in this thread)

Posted: 24 October 2007 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  334
Joined  2006-11-06
Yahun - 24 October 2007 05:14 PM

What is historically known about the Essene sect? I’m looking for some decent books on this subject.

Look for books that deal with the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Sorry, don’t have any to recommend off the top of my head.

Posted: 25 October 2007 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
Publius - 24 October 2007 07:33 PM

Look for books that deal with the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Sorry, don’t have any to recommend off the top of my head.

Dead Sea Scrolls, Copper Text, Etc.

I was just wondering if anybody knows of any historians from other cultures (at that period of time) who may or may not have referred to them? I know of Philo and Josephus, but they were Roman citizens.

Posted: 25 October 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19
Yahun - 25 October 2007 02:40 PM
Publius - 24 October 2007 07:33 PM

Dead Sea Scrolls, Copper Text, Etc.

I was just wondering if anybody knows of any historians from other cultures (at that period of time) who may or may not have referred to them? I know of Philo and Josephus, but they were Roman citizens.

Philo and Josephus were both Jews. Josephus became a Roman citizen only after the fall of Jerusalem, which he documents in his Jewish war. Philo was a Helenized jew who lived in Alexandria.

As for the Essenes apearing in extra jewish literature, I would say that it would be unlikely. The Essenes were a small and secretive sect. Were it not for the war with Rome, it would probably be unlikely that they would have made much of an impact upon history. In fact, it was only the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls that brought the Essenes into cultural prominence. It seems that their influce upon Jewish thought was limited at best. Indeed, while some have speculated that Christianity was influenced by their philosophies, it would only seem to be the most tangetable of conections.

Most of what we know about them come from the Dead Sea Scrolls, and any book that comments on them, or presents them in translation, should have just about anything that there is to learn about them.

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 25 October 2007 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

Why do people feel the need to tell you what you already know? I said that Josephus and Philo were Roman citizens. Obviously they were Jewish, they were hired to write a history of the Jewish people.

haha

Posted: 25 October 2007 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

Why do you ask questions if you already know the answers?

Besides, when you wrote, “I know of Philo and Josephus, but they were Roman citizens,” it hardly conveyed knowledge of their jewishness. Nor do I understand what their “citizenship” would have against them as sources for the Essenes.

[ Edited: 25 October 2007 06:06 PM by Celsus]
 Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 25 October 2007 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

By the by, a quick check of my copy of “the Dead Sea Scrolls”, and a google search for “essenes contemporary sources”, revealed that the only other classical sources for the Essenes are Eusebius (but he was mainly quoting from Philo), and Pliny the Elder, whose mention of them is but brief.

Is there some specific information which you are seeking? If you can relate to us what sort of information you are looking for, perhaps we can be more helpful.

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
Celsus - 25 October 2007 10:01 PM

Why do you ask questions if you already know the answers?

Besides, when you wrote, “I know of Philo and Josephus, but they were Roman citizens,” it hardly conveyed knowledge of their jewishness. Nor do I understand what their “citizenship” would have against them as sources for the Essenes.

Did I say that they aren’t reliable sources?
Me saying that they were Roman citizens was not me saying that they were not Jewish or were not reliable sources for Hebrew history, it was simply me saying that they were not Essenes.

I’m interested in what the Essenes believed.
Philo and Josephus would not have known what they believed and taught beyond the surface common knowledge.

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19
Yahun - 25 October 2007 11:17 PM

I’m interested in what the Essenes believed.

Oh, well then you should read the Dead Sea Scrolls! wink

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed