BEYOND BELIEF II
Posted: 24 October 2007 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-10-12

Does anyone have any news on the upcoming Beyond Belief II at the Salk? Will Sam be speaking? The tsntv site and the old BB1 site haven’t had any new news in months. As far as I’m aware it is at least still on, I’m just hoping that we get the download videos like last time.

Posted: 24 October 2007 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

Questions. . . What is Beyond Belief II (or BBI, for that matter), what is the Salk, and what is tsntv?

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-12

Beyond Belief is the series of talks held at the Salk Institute that was held in November 2006 with such speakers as Sam Harris, Steven Weinberg, Richard Dawkins, Neil Tyson DeGrasse, Carolyn Porco, Francesco Ayala, Patricia & Paul Churchland and many others. It centred around the concepts of a world without religion; religion as a form of evolutionary behaviour; what can and/or should be done to counter religion in a modern society and; can reason and rationality form the basis of a sustainable and more equitable world? In other words what happens if we step beyond the belief in belief?

http://beyondbelief2006.org/

From what I understand Dan Dennet will be there this year, as will Dawkins, Harris, Ian McEwan, and others I presume. At least I hope its still on because it was riveting last year, but the Science Network website isn’t showing any information, and neither it nor the old beyond belief website has been updated in months.

Its run by Roger Bingham, who makes for a great moderator. The science network has other interesting stuff to view as well. I truly hope it will be on and streamed live as was hinted at by Roger earlier. They’re certainly the most interesting downloads I’ve ever watched on the web. Especially BB.

http://tsntv.org/

The Salk Institute is a private, non-profit, biological research organization, and Beyond Belief doesn’t have much to do with it other than being used as the base for the talks.

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-12

Beyond Belief is the series of talks held at the Salk Institute that was held in November 2006 with such speakers as Sam Harris, Steven Weinberg, Richard Dawkins, Neil Tyson DeGrasse, Carolyn Porco, Francesco Ayala, Patricia & Paul Churchland and many others. It centred around the concepts of a world without religion; religion as a form of evolutionary behaviour; what can and/or should be done to counter religion in a modern society and; can reason and rationality form the basis of a sustainable and more equitable world? In other words what happens if we step beyond the belief in belief?

From what I understand Dan Dennet will be there this year, as will Dawkins, Harris, Ian McEwan, and others I presume. At least I hope its still on because it was riveting last year, but the Science Network website isn’t showing any information, and neither it nor the old beyond belief website has been updated in months.

Its run by Roger Bingham, who makes for a great moderator. The science network has other interesting stuff to view as well. I truly hope it will be on and streamed live as was hinted at by Roger earlier. They’re certainly the most interesting downloads I’ve ever watched on the web. Especially BB.

The Salk Institute is a private, non-profit, biological research organization, and Beyond Belief doesn’t have much to do with it other than being used as the base for the talks.

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-12

Posted: 24 October 2007 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

Thanks for the info : ).

I’d delete those duplicate posts for you, but for whatever reason my magical moderator powers don’t work in the Events forum. This double/triple posting bug has been popping up a lot in our new format. I’ll leave a note for our Overlord, although he rarely seems to check in with us.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 25 October 2007 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2007-08-28

I think the multiple posts are the result of impatience. It takes the average ‘net user about four seconds to assume that something didn’t work, and it takes much longer than that for a post to register, since the new software. So while staring at the screen counting to four, there is nothing else to do but re-click the mouse to Submit Post, in the hopes that the second or third attempt will “work”. I do think there is a sort of bug, though. If, while waiting for your post to get through, you open another browser window, you will see the post listed, even while the old window indicates it is still transferring.

Posted: 25 October 2007 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-12

Ordinarily I would agree with you but as a web designer myself I generally don’t suffer from button impatience syndrome. The submit process when this happened to me this time did take quite a bit longer than usual-the walk away make a coffee type of delay. Reminds me of the old days when that’s just the way things were all the time.

Anywa back to the subject. Th Salk Institute has had extensive wildfires in the area and they’re encouraging people who work there to stay away, so this may account for some of the web update delay for info on BB2.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed