2 of 2
Contemporary art.
Posted: 13 November 2007 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2007-08-28

Well, back to the original question, there seems to be a huge fascination with anime, graphic novels (comic books, basically) and computer art. It’s hard to make a case that contemporary art, especially of a techy nature, is regarded with scorn. Of course, one could try to make a case against those who enjoy that type of art. But then one migrates into the elitist attitude of what constitutes “fine” art.

Posted: 13 November 2007 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-09
mcalpine - 13 November 2007 04:02 PM

Well, back to the original question, there seems to be a huge fascination with anime, graphic novels (comic books, basically) and computer art. It’s hard to make a case that contemporary art, especially of a techy nature, is regarded with scorn. Of course, one could try to make a case against those who enjoy that type of art. But then one migrates into the elitist attitude of what constitutes “fine” art.

Comic books, anime, and computer art for the most part is not regared to be fine art, or contemporary art. I think if this discussion is reaching any consensus it is that it should be recognized on the same plane as fine art.

Posted: 13 November 2007 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2007-08-28

“Comic books, anime, and computer art for the most part is not regared to be fine art…”

You’re stupid if you like it, and stupid if you don’t get it; that is one common element with fine art. How many common elements do there need to be?

Posted: 13 November 2007 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-09
mcalpine - 13 November 2007 05:00 PM

“Comic books, anime, and computer art for the most part is not regared to be fine art…”

You’re stupid if you like it, and stupid if you don’t get it; that is one common element with fine art. How many common elements do there need to be?

can you clarify yourself? Or am I stupid becuase I dont get it..

Posted: 13 November 2007 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19
mcalpine - 13 November 2007 05:00 PM

There are comic books (or graphic novels, if one prefers) that certainly rise to the level of fine art. Books such as Persepolis, Maus, A Contract With God, and Bone would all seem to fit the bill as fine art, or at least fine literature.

As to the second part, I think he’s implying that the art world will judge a person’s taste, or lack there of, and will comment accordingly. If some one is judged to be of a low class, what they like is deemed stupid. Of a high class, it will be deemed genius, and that that is all the criteria that they have or use. Meaning that no one is judging art on it’s own merit, but only by the wealth and pretentiousness of the buyers.

At least, I think that’s what he means?

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

2 of 2

‹‹ Entangled Minds      Contemporary art. ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed
newrelic.loglevel = "verbosedebug" newrelic.daemon.loglevel = "verbosedebug"