British school teacher arrested in Sudan…
Posted: 01 December 2007 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-01

...you’ll never guess why.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/British_teacher_faces_40_lashes_over_teddy_bear's_name

40 lashes in 2007. Just.. wow.

Signature 

“It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” - Carl Sagan

Posted: 02 December 2007 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11
Soupy - 01 December 2007 05:29 PM

...you’ll never guess why.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/British_teacher_faces_40_lashes_over_teddy_bear's_name

40 lashes in 2007. Just.. wow.

What’s new ?

With Islam, Donald=duck fits over itty-bitty matters is par for the course.  Thier yelling and screaming are intimidation tactics, of course. Poor squalid fools- they are wrought with frustration over their own lives so they jump at a chance to outwardly express thier angry emotions. A chance to vent thier fury !  I wonder just how much they REALLY care about naming Teddy Bears “Muhammad ?

Posted: 03 December 2007 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

Dee is right. This is another version of the phenomenon I described in the Deer Hunting With Jesus thread. Islam isn’t the whole problem, although it’s a big part of it. These Muslims are feeling overwhelmed by the West’s economic and cultural prominence. They find false sense of security from reactionary fundamentalist dogma and from the demagogues who preach it. In this delusional state, it’s VERY easy for these Muslims to see these teddy bears as embodying every slight they imagine they’ve endured from the West.

Posted: 03 December 2007 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Chanting for the death of another human being over something so absurdly ridiculous is patently “evil.” This particular institution of irrationality called islam has caused a group mental illness of sorts: sane individuals would not chant for punishment for something as inocuous as the naming of a stuffed animal.
Even Barabara Walters suggested we (the US, I guess) should be more understanding as to why they think this is such a big blasphemous deal…WTF?
Just an observation, but, Sharia law goes against the Declaration of Human Rights, blatantly so…our question should be why is the UN keeping quiet on this issue?  Should the Sudanese gov’t—or any gov’t—even be allowed pass laws that allow such irrational punishments for perceived religious crimes?
The relentless intrusion of religion on government has got to stop.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 03 December 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
isocratic infidel - 03 December 2007 05:26 PM

Even Barabara Walters suggested we (the US, I guess) should be more understanding as to why they think this is such a big blasphemous deal…WTF?

Although that seems bizarre, it’s really easy to understand. To one degree or another, political liberals view things in terms of the big guy bullying the little guy. So when Westerners who value reason rightly criticize Islamists for fanaticism, many liberals might subconsciously view the criticism as neo-colonialist.

Posted: 04 December 2007 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11
Carstonio - 03 December 2007 06:01 PM
isocratic infidel - 03 December 2007 05:26 PM

Although that seems bizarre, it’s really easy to understand. To one degree or another, political liberals view things in terms of the big guy bullying the little guy. So when Westerners who value reason rightly criticize Islamists for fanaticism, many liberals might subconsciously view the criticism as neo-colonialist.

I see both you and Isocratic Infidel have been thinking and learned to connect the dots concerning the contrast between a lot of liberal views versus reality in regard to Muslim indignation over petty things etc.

You may be just as disgusted as I am over Hollywood society and thier bleeding hearts. The trouble is, if your heart bleeds for someone or thing , makes sure it’s bleeding for the right thing. I’ve tried to figure it out, and maybe they are that way because they are a bunch of eccentrics who are just by nature rebelious . They are that way whole-heartedly about government . Ya- government bullies them; government bullies the “persecuted” Muslims. The disgusting thing is that they know NOTHING about the Muslim-West situation . They have thier opinions , but they get that opinion from some Rosie O’Donald type of ignoramus . With Rosie , and others like her , standing up for the poor guy ( Muslims) makes them feel more important.

I have relatives like that, and they think I’m a prejudice ,mean spirited selfish jerk. There doubtless are some people here who have been stigmatized as either a lowlife or crack-brained , as I have been . It’s a fight- but I’m not about to give up . I ask : what shall we do to make people aware of what Islam is REALLY like ?  It’s almost a sin to say nothing, to my way of thinking.

Posted: 04 December 2007 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
Dee - 04 December 2007 05:14 AM

You may be just as disgusted as I am over Hollywood society and thier bleeding hearts. The trouble is, if your heart bleeds for someone or thing , makes sure it’s bleeding for the right thing. I’ve tried to figure it out, and maybe they are that way because they are a bunch of eccentrics who are just by nature rebelious .

No, I was trying to evaluate the situation from a distance. I tend to feel that both Hollywood liberals and Hollywood conservatives tend to show their ignorance whenever they talk about political issues. (There are a few conservatives out there - Charlton Heston is one, and Reagan was one back in the day.) However, I don’t think either side’s statements are worth getting too worked up.

Posted: 04 December 2007 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

Barabara Walters, as a professional journalist, was attempting to be objective, (and maybe a bit politically correct), not exposing any liberal political bias in the context of her remark. I’m not sure what you mean by “liberals subconsciously” viewing “the criticism as neo-colonialist”...?
I just think it’s time to speak plainly and it is completely irrational and inhumane—in the east, west, north and south—the call for the death of another human being over the naming of a toy! And Walters should have said as much instead of calling for understanding. When events like this happen is the time to speak out…Now is the time for the leaders in the UN to DO something proactive about this insane law that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

Say what you will about Rosie, she’s right about christianity being just as potentially dangerous as islam.

Hey Dee! Have you read “Ghost Wars” yet?

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 04 December 2007 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
isocratic infidel - 04 December 2007 03:50 PM

I’m not sure what you mean by “liberals subconsciously” viewing “the criticism as neo-colonialist”...?

There’s a long history of Westerners trying to “civilize” the people of Africa and Asia, driven mostly by racism and greed. The missionary tradition is a big example. I’m saying that Walters and other liberals have this history in the back of their minds. So they refrain from being critical because they’re trying too hard not to be racist. Although this comes from benign motives, they unwittingly endorse the racism they condemn. It’s almost like they believe a white Westerner can’t be critical of Muslims without harboring subconscious racism, or at least being accused of that racism. They seem to assume that the only choices are extreme ones, either racist criticism or no criticism at all.

I just think it’s time to speak plainly and it is completely irrational and inhumane—in the east, west, north and south—the call for the death of another human being over the naming of a toy! And Walters should have said as much instead of calling for understanding.

Absolutely. It isn’t racist to condemn fundamentalist insanity, wherever it exists, whatever the skin color of its practitioners.

Posted: 04 December 2007 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2007-08-28

We should have offered to exchange a Muslim in Gtmo for the teacher—who would have to take the Muslim’s place, of course.

Posted: 04 December 2007 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11

Barabara Walters, as a professional journalist, was attempting to be objective, (and maybe a bit politically correct), not exposing any liberal political bias in the context of her remark. I’m not sure what you mean by “liberals subconsciously” viewing “the criticism as neo-colonialist”...?
I just think it’s time to speak plainly and it is completely irrational and inhumane—in the east, west, north and south—the call for the death of another human being over the naming of a toy! And Walters should have said as much instead of calling for understanding. When events like this happen is the time to speak out…Now is the time for the leaders in the UN to DO something proactive about this insane law that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

Say what you will about Rosie, she’s right about christianity being just as potentially dangerous as islam.

Hey Dee! Have you read “Ghost Wars” yet?

Infidel : you say Rosie was right when she said Christianity was just as potentially dangerous as Islam. Oh, my dear—-I wish you had’nt said that !  If you’re really thinking she’s right—no ,no,no ,no, no !!! Stop thinking that way ! It smells of an attitude ! Too many have it. When a person jumps at a chance to compare Christianity unfavorably it usually means that person is saying that Islam isn’t so bad after all !

On the other hand, when you think about it, almost ANY religion can be as potentially bad as Islam. Potentially means having what it takes to be a possibility. But we should’nt consider it realistic to compare religions according to what MIGHT BE . What might be, what happened in the past, don’t count for much, as I see it, especialy when you consider what the situation is RIGHT NOW . As I’ve said before “screw the past ” and I feel that adamant about it because people are always trying to “prove” something by refering to the past, as if it has much bearing on what’s happening today . So be prepared for me to pepper this website with “screw the past ” more than a few times.  WE MUST ASK : “WHAT’S HAPPENING NOW ?”  Those very words should throw Rosie and other Islamic apologists off track . WHY ? Because today, right now, in the present, as things are—-ISLAM can not possibly compare favorably with Christianity . Islam is out of step with the whole world ; it’s a death sentence to freedom and if it ever got a firm foothold in the free societies of the world it would suck us right down with it into the throes of the unenlightened dark past .

There was a time when Chrisianity caused a lot of pain and problems , and was equaly hypocritical and fanatic as Islam. The Catholic church had a grip on the whole world and caused great fear and anxiety to say the least. To talk against the church could get us thrown in a dungeon , burned at the stake, or otherwise hiddious treatment. The government and church were sidekicks , and your “rights” were not yours at all, but rather decided by some king or clergy. Women were possessions of thier “Lords” and lived as subordinates . They did’nt talk back.  They were “given” in marriage. In the name of the church ; God the father, heads rolled and swords were bloodied , and so on.. But TODAY we have changed , and who could deny it is for the better. Religions have, by now, come to understand where to draw the line between what’s right and fair to civilization and what’s not right. Man has risen above all that in these modern times….BUT——HEY ! WAIT A MINUTE !!! What was I thinking ?  Not all religions have left the grim past…ISLAM STILL FITS THE DISCRIPTION of all that I’ve just said about the past and religion !!
A rude awakening here to all who all those who are always reminding us the “Islam is a religion of peace !”  Are you listening Rosie ?  Don’t insult our intelligence.

WEll there, Infidel, (or anyone else ) you have it.  You may use my words if you want to whenever some “arrogant America !!” talker starts blubbering his Pablum about how Islam is “missunderstood ” .

If you hear anyone tell you Christianity is as bad as Islam , ask him/her to list the ways that’s so .

No , I have not read “Ghost Wars” yet. Who wrote it ?  I’ve been talking about religious comparisons - I have some books to recommend if you are interested. DEE

Posted: 05 December 2007 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26

[quote author=“isocratic infidel”]Say what you will about Rosie, she’s right about christianity being just as potentially dangerous as islam.

I agree with Rosie to a point. I wouldn’t necessarily compare the danger to Islam, but simply point out that Islam is an excellent example of the danger of theocracy. If fundamentalist Christians turned America into a theocratic dictatorship, it may be less oppressive or even more oppressive than Islamist dictatorships. But it would unquestionably be oppressive, and that is the whole point.

Posted: 06 December 2007 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

Hmmmn, let’s see…the christian coalition that gave birth to—deliberate bad pun—the pro life movement which wants to pass laws based on their christian beliefs, which in turn deny individuals to the right to their own body. Same with stem cell research; the right to die; and civil rights for same sex couples. These may seem trivial in comparison, unless you are the one being directly affected by the christian rights’ persistent attempts to dictate our lives. RIGHT NOW dee, evangelical christians are promoting ‘the end of times’ like it’s going to be this spectacular affair and you don’t think this is as dangerous an idea as what comes out of islam? Two sides of the same rotton apple imeo. All religions and the books they spring from paint their own mythology as truth; claim divine authorship; and invent dogmas to live by. Dogma, in and of itself is dangerous. It seems that you dee, see only islam as a threat, when all religions are equally malignant cancers against reason.
Recommend all the books you can dee…I prefer non-fiction. One of the main pleasures in life is reading the ideas or peeking into the consciousnesses of others.  I’m blanking on who wrote Ghost Wars (it was one I checked out at the library unfortunately, so it’s not a part of my collection yet!)...it seems like it was Stephen Cohl or something like that…he’s a investigative reporter for the new york times I think it was…it was very well-written: bi-partisan, historically correct and factual…all insights are left up to the reader.
Enjoyed your posts Carst. Whole point taken!

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed