2 of 2
To all who feel compelled to discuss with The Champion
Posted: 10 March 2006 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“Iisbliss”]TC and Treb taken together with a rum and coke back are hilarious.

TC argues that Nazi’s are atheist, while Treblinka well, anti-semitism seems a weak word when talking about what he thinks ....

The disparities in their equally irrational God Based veiws is a clear reminder while no matter what we personally believe, secularism is the only way to run a government.

The wonder is that they don’t notice this = )

Iisbliss, glad your amused. By the way, what is your spiritual status? Christ is calling you to serve him. Where do ye stand as of today?

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 10 March 2006 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

haha….

Sorry Champ, not afraid of dying or disappearing or going to hell.

And don’t need to be afraid of anything to be a decent, ethical, moral human being, who enjoys a rum and coke from time to time.

So, what do you think is the state of Treblinka’s soul Champ?  = )

Posted: 17 March 2006 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2005-11-11

FYI
[quote author=“forum administrator”]
You may add users to your ignore list by going to http://www.samharris.org/forum/ignore.php (You’ll need to be logged in to use this feature.)

This is in very beta right now. I will be adding more functionality over the next few days.

Please post your feedback here: http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525

When you have added a person to your ignore list you get this message:
“You have added this person to your Ignore List. Click HERE to view this post.”

Posted: 29 March 2006 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-03-28

Treb thank you so much for that prime example of what this thread is about and I would also like to thank those who lured treb into commenting by calling him an anti-semite. (treb your hilarious)
(stay on topic mofos!(can i say mofos? in an aside?))

I have just one question…
What happens when the topic is inflamitory and not conductive to an honest open intellectual debate? Say for instance a thread about TheChampion, even one portraying him in a negative light…
(The more you talk about him the more his powers grow, from now on we shall call him “He who must not be named” yes a reference to harry potter, and yes TC i am calling you an evil wizard with unchristian witch powers)

I get 1 thounsand reasoning points for using a harry potter reference!

:D

Posted: 29 March 2006 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“Contradiction”]I have just one question…
What happens when the topic is inflamitory and not conductive to an honest open intellectual debate? Say for instance a thread about TheChampion, even one portraying him in a negative light…
(The more you talk about him the more his powers grow, from now on we shall call him “He who must not be named” yes a reference to harry potter, and yes TC i am calling you an evil wizard with unchristian witch powers)

Hu hu hu….(sinister laugh), why yes, but of course, you have discovered my ploy. All this time you thought I was a benevoent Christian, taming the lions on this forum. But I am really a power magnet in disguise. And I have lured the unsuspecting into my trap. And it has worked marveioulsy!! My power is growing every day. Growing by leaps and bounds!!! I shall conquer this forum!!! I will be its ultimate ruler and it will be too late to anything about it!!! And then I shall move on and conquer another forum and another and another (kind of like those guys in Independence Day…) until one I will rule the world!!! I will rule the whole world!!!!! bow down…..

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 29 March 2006 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-01-05

A human forum virus.

Posted: 29 March 2006 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-03-28

and now i go off topic… Is religion a human mental virus? (muwhahah)

Posted: 26 April 2006 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-04-25

I was just curious which person stated that people respect TC intelectually.  I wouldn’t consider someone that uses the bible to prove the bible very intelectual.  B/c all of you should know that I am god.  And it’s true b/c I say so.  So feel free to send your messages, prayers, and whatnot and I’ll take care of everything in my own time.  Well, it is my will.

Ok, everyone knows how stupid all that shit is.  Well then, everyone have a nice day, and if noone replies to this post, big deal.  Maybe TC will and blast me!  Oh.. visions of heaven and hell…  lah di dah…

So, my contention is that faith based “thinkers” are not intellectuals, b/c they are in point of fact not thinking, but instead vomiting back up what they have been fed.  There is no real thought involved.

Posted: 26 April 2006 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19

The only prop I’ll ever given chump-onion is that he almost has a sense of humor, atleast when compaired to the dour treblinka, the pedantic frankr, or the easily angered michael812.

Other than that, I don’t find him so smart. Sure can whip out them bible quotes, though.

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 26 April 2006 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-04-25

Like I said, vomiting. plus, he doesn’t seem to write too often.  probably has to search to find the right verses to make his point. maybe a lifetime christian school kid?

Posted: 26 April 2006 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2006-04-24

I’m really surprised the members here give him such a long leash.  This thread was started in October; I just joined, and it seems ol’ Champ is the top contributor here.

How strict are the mods with regard to verbal abuse when frustration overrides reason and sanity?

I ask, because I could easily see someone less tactful than most, who would simply tell these guys like it is.

Posted: 26 April 2006 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“Tenspace”]
How strict are the mods . . .

Not too. In fact, I’m not sure how often our Mod (I think there’s only one) even checks in with the forum. Possible he/she assumes the religious trolls are good for keeping us limber? Probably true.

If you’d like to clean up your screen, however, having heard enough from any given poster, here is the “Ignore” function that will render their post content invisible to you, if not their actual name:

http://www.samharris.org/forum/ignore.php

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 27 April 2006 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-10-24

[quote author=“Tenspace”]I’m really surprised the members here give him such a long leash.  This thread was started in October; I just joined, and it seems ol’ Champ is the top contributor here.

How strict are the mods with regard to verbal abuse when frustration overrides reason and sanity?

I ask, because I could easily see someone less tactful than most, who would simply tell these guys like it is.

I started this thread after realizing the quantitative and qualitative (imo) impact the Champion has had on this forum.  It seemed to me, as I traced through many exchanges that he had succesfully highjacked the forum.  I was especially appalled at the futile attempts made by so many atheistic posters to “reason” with him.  It seems many of those folks consider it a worthwhile exercise, if for no other reason than to bolster their own “convictions” I suspect.

Never the less, the time spent in interchanges with him, and now a growing number of faithers who seem to be colonizing this forum, is time not spent discussing the important issue of what to do about the dangers of religion identified by Sam. 

I will add here that I’ve noticed a similar trend in the ideological debates that take place.  I participated for a while in one on the death penalty.  I tried to inject a little science into the discussion and it got nowhere.  So it seems there are those who have faith in the supernatural and those who have faith in their chosen ideology.  They like to argue, rarely if ever present any objective evidence for their positions and have shown no signs of being open minded (while, amusingly accusing some of us who do open mindedness for a living of being closed minded because we won’t just accept their claims as being true!)

But, what really bothers me is that in spite of all the evidence that this board has provided, that these people are not here to engage in honest intellectual discourse, a significant number of other-wise rational (or rationality-claiming) posters continue to succumb to the temptation of responding to them.  There have been some clever challenges presented to these trolls, but if you look at the historical record here you will see that there has never been an honest, direct and evidence-based response.  From the faithers you just get scriptures, and from the ideologues you just get talking points.

As to the intelligence question, I have weighed in on this with the observation that it is possible to be clever without being wise.  And, indeed, from time to time you see cleverness in some of their posts.  But I have never seen an ounce of wisdom.

I’ve resorted to the ignore function for a fair number of these folks as soon as I see a familiar pattern of behavior.  As I said above, we seem to be drawing a growing crowd of them and my ignore list is getting longer.  But it doesn’t really help in that the dynamic of the threads is still the same.  I find myself reading fewer and fewer posts because they contain responses to the ones I’m trying to ignore.

Oh well.  I must admit, I’ve writen this more for myself I suppose!

Posted: 27 April 2006 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2006-04-24

Thanks for the reply, V.  I’ll hang out and participate. Please let me know if I break any rules.  smile

Tenspace

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed