2 of 2
Christmas symbols in public places
Posted: 06 December 2007 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2006-12-13
Carstonio - 06 December 2007 08:46 AM
mcalpine - 06 December 2007 02:14 AM

So despite what Carstonio says about “reasonable” atheists, there are indeed modern objections.

I assumed Eaton Shirdlu’s “publicly sanctioned” comment was about symbols on government property, involving a specific First Amendment issue, and not about symbols in general. Eaton, was that the case?

Precisely.

mcalpine - 06 December 2007 01:55 AM

“People who have grown used to the perks of cultural hegemony will find it difficult to give them up.”

Why would they have to give them up?

Evolution. Consider for a moment the historical examples of Soviet Russia (and before them, the Tsars), South African whites, slave owners of the American Confederacy. Consider the Incas, Imperial Rome, the French monarchy,  and, of course, the trilobites, who ruled the sea floor for tens of millions of years.

The commandment against erecting graven images (i.e., substituting “false gods”) indicates only that Yahweh is jealous. Most of the ill fortune that befell “His” people is a result of “His” wrath against them for violating that commandment.

Posted: 06 December 2007 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 03:57 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 06 December 2007 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-10-24
Carstonio - 06 December 2007 08:43 AM

The Nativity does not resemble anything offensive. Plus, the idea behind large-scale crucifixes is troubling - the idea that people should feel guilty over the suffering of Jesus.

I agree.  Tonight, I drove past some homes with impressive and beautiful light displays.  I slowed down to view one, and as my eyes beheld different colored lights in she shape of stars and a nativity scene, I noticed the THREE RED CROSSES in the middle of it all.  WTF???  Do they have to push their faith in suffering and death being the way to life?  As if people would see the nativity scene and think, “Huh, I wonder whatever happened to that baby Jesus when he grew up.”  *sigh*

Most of the Christmas symbols here are very generic, so it’s not much of an issue.  Of course, my house is full of statues and pictures of the “Holy Family” and various saints.  Funny how well Catholics can rationalize the whole statue thing, saint worship, etc.  “I’m not worshiping Mary!  Sure, I kneel before her statue, light candles before her statues, pray to ask her intersession with her son, and call her the Mediatrix of all graces, and Co-Redemptrix - but I don’t consider her a goddess!”  Me thinks she doth protest too much.  (Speaking of myself, of course, in the days when I was so defensive of idolatry accusations.)  Even though Catholicism is more predominant in the Southern US now, you still won’t see any Catholic statues in the front yard like you do in areas of the North.  I think so many years of vandalism and violence as a result of people finding out you were Catholic just put a damper on that practice.

Signature 

Modern science has been a voyage into the unknown, with a lesson in humility waiting at every stop. Many passengers would rather have stayed home.
          —Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Posted: 09 December 2007 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-12-05

i’ve had enough of seeing shitty litle plastic nativity scenes in my local shopping centres.

I went through several public, supposedly secular primary schools where i was expected to sing christian songs (not just at christmas)Christmas usually involved a christian pagant and dress ups. Failture parcipate would result in someone getting chastised and labelled ‘naughty’ or obstructive, ruining it for everyone else etc….. The worst thing is, most of us didn’t even know they were religous songs. We just sung them like the obedient hitler youth types we were.

this is outrageous!

[ Edited: 09 December 2007 10:22 PM by meloncolin]
 Signature 

“All Truth passes through Three Stages: First, it is Ridiculed…
Second, it is Violently Opposed…
Third, it is Accepted as being Self-Evident.”

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted: 10 December 2007 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11
Joel Armstrong - 06 December 2007 11:09 PM

I don’t like the religious symbols because I don’t like the terrible effect that religion has had upon the world, therefore I see no reason to be tolerant of the symbols in public.  They should be condemned, like many things related to religion. 

People have a right to put the symbols in their businesses or on their property, but I also have the right to be critical the irrational ideas that these symbols represent.  Confronting religious expression in public is essential to the The War on Religion, though I try to do it politely.

Joel :

I usually agree with what you say but not so much this time. As I see it,people aren’t likely to give up thier religion Maybe that may happen in the distant future, but not anytime soon. Sooo- if sybols of a religion ARE displayed , let that religion be christianity !

DEE

Posted: 10 December 2007 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-12-05

why not put monuments of great community leaders, philosophers and humanitarians up instead? Everybody loves a good buddha statue, stick a red hat with a pom pom on if you must.

Christianity can blow me, I’m tired of seeing images which represent human torture ie the crucifix Its not healthy for a society whose aim should be non-violence

[ Edited: 10 December 2007 02:40 AM by meloncolin]
 Signature 

“All Truth passes through Three Stages: First, it is Ridiculed…
Second, it is Violently Opposed…
Third, it is Accepted as being Self-Evident.”

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted: 10 December 2007 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2006-02-01

Bill Hicks said Christians totally missed the point by wearing crosses to remember Jesus.

RIP Bill Hicks. We could do with him around these days.

Signature 

All Christians should be sent to heaven immediately.

Posted: 11 December 2007 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2007-05-22

Occam’s Razor writes:
Bill Hicks said Christians totally missed the point by wearing crosses to remember Jesus.
RIP Bill Hicks. We could do with him around these days.

So true.  Hicks, comic genus that he was, continued: “it’s like wearing a rifle pendent around your neck to remember JFK… Do you think if Jesus ever did come back he’d want to see another cross again?!?!”

I sure miss him too Occam.  …Bill Hicks that is.

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

Posted: 18 December 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 03:57 PM by J.C.]

2 of 2

‹‹ anti-science      This can be closed ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed