2 of 3
-deleted-
Posted: 21 December 2007 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19
Joel Armstrong - 21 December 2007 11:07 PM

Hey you, what do you interpret the meaning of your life to be?

Be excellent to each other, and PARTY ON, DUDE!!!

(sorry, couldn’t resist.)

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 21 December 2007 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19

Or, on a slightly more serious note, must life have a meaning? Life has the meaning that we supply it, no more, no less.

Does that mean that life is meaningless? Not necessarily, but that there is no “unified feild theory” for life’s meaning. Many people are leading lives that some may find to be entirely worthless, some may spend their lives in the pursuit of some so-called higher purpose. Can anyone truly say that one life is more significant than the other? Some will try, but how can one really know whose life will eventually matter more?

I’m thinking of the Comic book guy from the Simpsons. In the movie, as his end seems to be looming near, he states, “I’ve spent my entire life doing nothing but collecting comic books, and now there’s only time to say…life well spent!” Can any among you say that it wasn’t?

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 21 December 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2005-02-22
Joel Armstrong - 21 December 2007 11:05 PM

I am not 100% convinced that we are the only things in the universe that have a sense of meaning.

I agree.
That’s why I choose a flexible word like person. It suggests some point of perspective; this is what the universe means from here.
While all points of perspective and their resulting meanings are equally valid to a relativist (they are all built from the same two components: information and experience) they can vary widely in their degree of stupidity and usefulness.

What would meaning mean if there was not a point from which it could mean it and a person to whom it could mean it?

No dude, no party, down or otherwise.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 21 December 2007 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  651
Joined  2006-12-08
Joel Armstrong - 12 December 2007 09:05 PM

What do you interpret the meaning of your life to be?

Skeptical.  About everything.

Signature 

Do-gooding is like treating hemophilia—the real cure is to let hemophiliacs bleed to death, before they breed more hemophiliacs. -Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Posted: 21 December 2007 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2007-10-05

What is the meaning of life?  Loving and being loved. In the absence of that we would all go mad; happens all the time.

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 04:33 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 04:34 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 04:35 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 04:34 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 22 December 2007 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-08
Joel Armstrong - 22 December 2007 04:19 AM

Interesting answer.  What would be your response to someone whose answer was:  Open-minded.  About everything.

In your eyes, would their life have any more or less meaning than yours?

No.

Joel Armstrong - 22 December 2007 04:19 AM

How does being skeptical give your life meaning?  I’m certainly not saying it doesn’t, I’m just asking you to expand upon your thoughts a little.  Maybe you feel it keeps you focused on what is true?

It’s an arbitrary choice.  I reserve the right to change my mind as the mood strikes me.

Signature 

Do-gooding is like treating hemophilia—the real cure is to let hemophiliacs bleed to death, before they breed more hemophiliacs. -Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Posted: 22 December 2007 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Antisocialdarwinist - 22 December 2007 12:57 PM

It’s an arbitrary choice.  I reserve the right to change my mind as the mood strikes me.

Well. We now know exactly how seriously we need to take you, unless you heavily arm yourself and take over the airplane. But you could change my mind about that, if you wanted to.

But just between you and me, ASD, I don’t care if anyone takes me seriously, either. You’re still gonna die someday.

[ Edited: 22 December 2007 11:24 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 22 December 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-08
Salt Creek - 22 December 2007 04:22 PM
Antisocialdarwinist - 22 December 2007 12:57 PM

Well. We now know exactly how seriously we need to take you, unless you heavily arm yourself and take over the airplane. But you could change my mind about that, if you wanted to.

But just between you and me, ASD, I don’t care if anyone takes me seriously, either. You’re still gonna die someday.

The point being that I think it’s just as silly to confine yourself to a single meaning of life as it is to assume everyone else should share the same one.  Why is it so important that life have meaning, anyway?

Signature 

Posted: 22 December 2007 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-05

But just between you and me, ASD, I don’t care if anyone takes me seriously, either.

I’ve read too many of your posts and I don’t believe you. You have many interesting things to share and you do it quite well.  “But you could change my mind about that, if you wanted to.”

Posted: 22 December 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-05

The point being that I think it’s just as silly to confine yourself to a single meaning of life as it is to assume everyone else should share the same one.

Just by sharing the meaning of life as I believe and that as you believe does not assume we need to share the same one.  Your answer was interesting. 

Why is it so important that life have meaning, anyway?

I guess it’s not really, but it’s sure fun playing around in that sandbox!!!

Posted: 22 December 2007 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Antisocialdarwinist - 22 December 2007 07:58 PM

The point being that I think it’s just as silly to confine yourself to a single meaning of life as it is to assume everyone else should share the same one.  Why is it so important that life have meaning, anyway?

This coming from the guy who used to talk about invented meanings being the food for the survival instinct. You crack me up, ASD. If life has no meaning to you, or at least one which does not bear your seal of approval, it’s no skin off anyone’s back. Watch out you don’t get punched in the nose. The meaning of life is not getting punched in the nose every time you walk down the block for a pack of cigarettes. The meaning of life is to make lots of little copies of your genome and see that they all get the right schooling.

Party on dude, and be excellent to yourself. Don’t sever your femoral artery on your way through the plate glass window that is so clean you can’t see it unless you look for small refractions.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

2 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed