Institute for Creation Research is at it again
Posted: 20 December 2007 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-12-17

They are trying to get accreditation for a Master’s degree in Creation Science.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5389410.html

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-12-04

Gah.. It was just a matter of time.

The only real way to get around these nut heads once and for all is with a complete ban on religious educations. People can study their faith in church, and all children should HAVE to attend a secular school that is committed to not giving education in religion as a whole but not advocating one over the other.

Homeschooling and private schools that requires a profession of faith should not be legal at all. Only then will these nuts go away from the education system and be forced to spout their propaganda in some other form.

Signature 

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Wow, thanks for the link. I am really interested in the whole creation science thing. I think it will get credibility in time. Perhaps in 100 years it may become a respected discipline or branch of knowledge, using the usual scientific methods. And why not. When evolution and the big bang first came out, they too were controversial. THEN….unbelievers twisted their data and conclusions to suppor the theories. Perhaps….as the accumlated data will suggest other conclusions when viewed by an unbiased audience.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
OrderFromChaos - 20 December 2007 07:35 PM

I’d like degrees in elf studies and dowsing science. Who’s accredited for that?

I say let them give their degree. I also say employers should be able to laugh their asses off when presented with one of these testaments to monumental ignorance.

The tricky part is when government backed student loans are used in pursuit of one of these degrees. That will end up in court sooner or later.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 21 December 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-12-17
mpbrockman - 21 December 2007 02:52 AM
OrderFromChaos - 20 December 2007 07:35 PM

I’d like degrees in elf studies and dowsing science. Who’s accredited for that?

I say let them give their degree. I also say employers should be able to laugh their asses off when presented with one of these testaments to monumental ignorance.

The tricky part is when government backed student loans are used in pursuit of one of these degrees. That will end up in court sooner or later.

You bring up a valid point. I have not pondered the legal implications with regards to student loans. Wonder how it will play out.

I was more concerned with what the perception would be concerning Master’s of Science degrees if this one is lumped in with them. I don’t have as much of a problem with their degree if it was a Master’s of Art, since I think it should fall under philosophy. Yet, I have a huge problem with it if it’s a Science degree.

Posted: 21 December 2007 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
OrderFromChaos - 21 December 2007 01:46 PM

Yet, I have a huge problem with it if it’s a Science degree.

Just ask Dr. Science. Remember, he knows MORE than you do!

“I have a Master’s Degree… in SCIENCE!”

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16
TheChampion - 21 December 2007 02:39 AM

Wow, thanks for the link. I am really interested in the whole creation science thing. I think it will get credibility in time. Perhaps in 100 years it may become a respected discipline or branch of knowledge, using the usual scientific methods.

Remind me again, Champ, what exactly is the “theory” behind Creation Science and how does one go about testing it?

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed