Dr. Daniel Amen: Fish Oil Salesman
Posted: 06 March 2008 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

Did anybody catch Dr. Daniel Amen’s brain fitness lecture on public television?

He seems an intelligent, likable guy, with a solid grounding in his field.  He is also a member of the American Association of Christian Counselors, and got his medical degree at Oral Roberts University.  During his lecture, he mentions church-going a couple of times in the beginning as a brain-healthy activity, I think in regards to the two activities of socializing and gratitude being good for brain function.  At the end, he tells the audience “may god bless you.”  The religious aspect of his life was otherwise not mentioned (unless I missed something when I showered during one of the fundraising segments when he was talking with the host), and most of his lecture focused on purely scientific discourse in the service of a healthy brain.  He helped pioneer research in SPECT imaging (Single Photon Emission Computerized Tomography).

Amen’s proscription for and descriptions of a healthy brain makes sense, and I’m considering some of his dietary and exercise advice, including consuming heart/brain-healthy fish oil, almonds, avocado, broccoli, and blueberries.

I wonder how someone who espouses “lifelong learning” as one activity for a healthier brain – someone who hopefully understands the evolution of the brain – remains religious.

I’m curious to know if any of the more medically astute members of the forum are familiar with Amen’s methods and can vouch for him. 

Thanks.
Aaron

[ Edited: 06 March 2008 08:31 AM by Aaron]
 Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 06 March 2008 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Aaron - 06 March 2008 01:19 PM

I wonder how someone who espouses “lifelong learning” as one activity for a healthier brain – someone who hopefully understands the evolution of the brain – remains religious.

Aaron:

Genuine religious faith just simply has nothing to do with intelligence, education, training, etc.  It is a personal experience. On another level, I suppose it is something like or analogous to sexual orientation. You understand what it’s like to be homosexual while I don’t. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Posted: 06 March 2008 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

It is called ‘compartmentalizing’ Aaron.
It is the same ability that allowed Nazi thugs to hurl other people’s children in the gas chamber and then go home and pick up their own kid and play with it.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 06 March 2008 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-04
Bruce Burleson - 06 March 2008 05:57 PM

Aaron:

Genuine religious faith just simply has nothing to do with intelligence,

Agreed.

education, training,

Disagreed.

It is a personal experience.

Or it really should be, anyway.

On another level, I suppose it is something like or analogous to sexual orientation. You understand what it’s like to be homosexual while I don’t.

Sexual orientation - gay, straight, or in-between - is not a learned or conditioned behavior. Religion is. That’s why experiments to change sexual orientation fail miserably, and why it’s so easy to convert from one religion to another, or (hopefully) away from religion altogether.

It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Again, agreed.
I’m sorry if I sound like a jerk, but you walked right into that. Twice.

Signature 

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 06 March 2008 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-04
Sander - 06 March 2008 09:17 PM

It is called ‘compartmentalizing’ Aaron.
It is the same ability that allowed Nazi thugs to hurl other people’s children in the gas chamber and then go home and pick up their own kid and play with it.

That was my thought, too. That’s what I’ve been saying to Veronica over in the other thread across the street.

So, I suppose he still has some good advice regarding health, and I should not discount the non-religious compartment.

Thanks.

Signature 

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 06 March 2008 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-12-04

Gotta love a Christian counselor named Amen…

Signature 

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Posted: 06 March 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
Aaron - 06 March 2008 10:58 PM

That was my thought, too. That’s what I’ve been saying to Veronica over in the other thread across the street.

Good luck with that.

So, I suppose he still has some good advice regarding health, and I should not discount the non-religious compartment.

Yeah, I’d say so.
Like Sam (peace be upon his Ben Stiller-like head) said: you can be educated enough to build a nuke and still believe you will get jiggy with the 72 spice-girls in heaven.

Or, if you are looking for someone to build you a fine Volkswagen just don’t ask them about their views on Jews or homosexuals.

I am in a bad mood today, but I trust you understand what I am trying to say.

Cheers mate.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 06 March 2008 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-04
Sander - 06 March 2008 11:17 PM
Aaron - 06 March 2008 10:58 PM

Good luck with that.

Yeah, I’d say so.
Like Sam (peace be upon his Ben Stiller-like head) said: you can be educated enough to build a nuke and still believe you will get jiggy with the 72 spice-girls in heaven.

Or, if you are looking for someone to build you a fine Volkswagen just don’t ask them about their views on Jews or homosexuals.

I am in a bad mood today, but I trust you understand what I am trying to say.

Cheers mate.

I do understand. Thanks!

Signature 

— Robert G. Ingersoll

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed