Bloody Cartoons - Islams threat to democracy
Posted: 11 March 2008 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-12-04

A friend just sent me this bbc documentary on the Danish Mohammad (ridicule be upon him) cartoons.
Perhaps you will find it interesting, especially since the Islam section of the forum has been extra active lately.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OhSgLlETY
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQP4QK834Rk
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdw2vIHbHI
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kie_rYz1AJQ
part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvvgl8U0hBs
part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2W-NI6afI

Signature 

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Posted: 11 March 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2007-05-22

Give ‘Un’ to others.
Thanks for this ‘Un’believer, a very enjoyable watch.

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

Posted: 12 March 2008 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

I only had the stomach to watch the first part.
The bearded fuckwit, who is directly responsible for the deaths of 150 people, said that he must to be respected as a Muslim, a person and as a fuckwit.

This is where I part ways with him and all the other religious tender hearts on our pretty blue planet.

Why, by Allah’s balls, should I respect anyone just because they insist on it ?

Hurt Muslim: ” But you don’t understand, we love Mohamed soooo much, we can’t bare to see him insulted “

Sander: ” Fine, if you love him so much, dig him up and blow him posthumously, but leave me out of it.”

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 28 April 2008 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-11-04

Thanks for the links!

Check out this: Stand up for Denmark
Christopher Hitchens’ Speech at Danish Embassy

Signature 

“We may be confused about the distinction between tolerance and the refusal of evaluation, thinking that tolerance of others requires us not to evaluate what they do.”
Martha Nussbaum
  —Cultivating Humanity

Posted: 26 May 2008 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

Thanks for posting these links.  I’d not seen this documentary before finding it here.  Truly chilling, what we’re up against.

Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 27 May 2008 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-04

I remember now, in part 2 at min 7:00 the Danish Prime Minister speaks about the “cartoon furore” beeing staged for “the purpose of introducing international legislation to restrict freedom of expression in relation to religion”.
This has now happened, on 28 March 2008 according to the International Humanist and Ethical Union:

With the support of their allies including China, Russia and Cuba (none well-known for their defence of human rights) the Islamic States succeeded in forcing through an amendment to a resolution on Freedom of Expression that has turned the entire concept on its head. The UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression will now be required to report on the “abuse” of this most cherished freedom by anyone who, for example, dares speak out against Sharia laws that require women to be stoned to death for adultery or young men to be hanged for being gay, or against the marriage of girls as young as nine, as in Iran.

[...]

There has been a seismic shift in the balance of power in the UN system. For over a decade the Islamic States have been flexing their muscles. Yesterday they struck. There can no longer be any pretence that the Human Rights Council can defend human rights. The moral leadership of the UN system has moved from the States who created the UN in the aftermath of the Second World War, committed to the concepts of equality, individual freedom and the rule of law, to the Islamic States, whose allegiance is to a narrow, medieval worldview defined exclusively in terms of man’s duties towards Allah, and to their fellow-travellers, the States who see their future economic and political interests as being best served by their alliances with the Islamic States.

[...]

On the vote, the amendment was adopted by 27 votes to 15 against, with three abstentions.
The Sri Lankan delegate explained clearly his reasons for supporting the amendment:
“.. if we regulate certain things ‘minimally’ we may be able to prevent them from being enacted violently on the streets of our towns and cities.”

In other words: Don’t exercise your right to freedom of expression because your opponents may become violent. For the first time in the 60 year history of UN Human Rights bodies, a fundamental human right has been limited simply because of the possible violent reaction by the enemies of human rights.

The violence we have seen played out in reaction to the Danish cartoons is thus excused by the Council – it was the cartoonists whose freedom of expression needed to be regulated. And Theo van Gogh can be deemed responsible for his own death.

Freedom of expression is that right which – uniquely – enables us to expose, communicate and condemn abuse of all our other rights. Without freedom of expression and freedom of the press we give the green light to tyranny and make it impossible to expose corruption, incompetence, injustice and oppression.

Sorry for spamming you here like that… it seemed quite important to me.

Enjoy the silence…

[ Edited: 27 May 2008 12:00 PM by Mel Olontha]
 Signature 

“We may be confused about the distinction between tolerance and the refusal of evaluation, thinking that tolerance of others requires us not to evaluate what they do.”
Martha Nussbaum
  —Cultivating Humanity

Posted: 27 May 2008 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-10-20
Unbeliever - 11 March 2008 11:43 PM

A friend just sent me this bbc documentary on the Danish Mohammad (ridicule be upon him) cartoons.
Perhaps you will find it interesting, especially since the Islam section of the forum has been extra active lately.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OhSgLlETY
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQP4QK834Rk
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdw2vIHbHI
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kie_rYz1AJQ
part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvvgl8U0hBs
part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2W-NI6afI

Something just occurred to me while watching this…

I have had the opportunity to know quite a few muslims in my private life.

One of them, the owner (for the time being - odds are likely the city is going to take it) of the building where I live, seems to have an attitude much like that of the Islamic Imams and Muftis who called for the protests, all knowing that there was a possibility for violence… Yet, each one disavowed any responsibility for the violence. One even going so far as to get completely offended by this.

The owner of this building has treated it as his own personal ATM, and is in fact, a slum lord. At one time he had 75 people living in 16 bedrooms. 12 of which are really not meant for anyone to have lived in (They were laundry rooms in reality, and only 7ft x 7ft - yet he crammed two to three people in each one - I had to literally blackmail him to get my own room)... Yet, when the city comes around to stop him from doing this - He claims that he is not responsible - that the city gave him a business license and this allows him to do what he likes with the building, so it is really the city’s fault…

Then, there is his marriage… His wife catches him in bed with another woman. She manages to take nearly everything he owns as a result… Yet, again… Not his responsibility, he has been framed, he is being persecuted.

I wonder how the Muslim world is going to fare when the women in those countries finally begin to take the power they are due? (just an aside).

Anyway, the reaction of these people just shows that they are still living in a tribal society that is dressed up as a 21st century world. There is a reason that Qatar, which is among the wealthiest nations on earth is still considered the Third World…

That is because most of the people still behave as primitives in those societies. The rulers may appear to be cultured and educated people, yet they still live in a world that has slaves, and where much of the populace is not seen as deserving equality under the law…

The very fact that they cannot separate themselves from their religion (That an attack upon it is an attack upon them) is just another facet of the dishonesty that this religion engenders in their society.

I also notice that they seem to equate mocking something with hating it.

How can you hate something which does not exist (first of all), and second, it is possible to mock many things that are not hated. I notice many Christians saying the same thing about Atheists: That we hate god, which is why we reject him.

I think that there is a lesson here in how to get the world to accept our position: That we do not hate god. The Muslims are accusing the Xtian world of exactly the same thing that much of the Xtian world accuses the atheists of… Hmm… Can you say “Irony”

Matthew

Posted: 27 May 2008 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  950
Joined  2006-06-26
BeAfraid - 27 May 2008 04:40 PM

One of them, the owner (for the time being - odds are likely the city is going to take it) of the building where I live, seems to have an attitude much like that of the Islamic Imams and Muftis who called for the protests, all knowing that there was a possibility for violence… Yet, each one disavowed any responsibility for the violence. One even going so far as to get completely offended by this.

The owner of this building has treated it as his own personal ATM, and is in fact, a slum lord. At one time he had 75 people living in 16 bedrooms. 12 of which are really not meant for anyone to have lived in (They were laundry rooms in reality, and only 7ft x 7ft - yet he crammed two to three people in each one - I had to literally blackmail him to get my own room)... Yet, when the city comes around to stop him from doing this - He claims that he is not responsible - that the city gave him a business license and this allows him to do what he likes with the building, so it is really the city’s fault…

Then, there is his marriage… His wife catches him in bed with another woman. She manages to take nearly everything he owns as a result… Yet, again… Not his responsibility, he has been framed, he is being persecuted.

Matthew

His being a Muslim aside, his behavior is no different than any other slumlord, be it Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Black White, Latino, etc. Same reprehensible lack of ethics regardless of religion.

Signature 

“We have it recorded in a book called the Bible.”

To be blunt, the Bible records all manner of silly shit.

Posted: 27 May 2008 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

Funny that all this should remind me of a scene from an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

In the scene, Chief O’Brien (played by Colm Meaney) has been ordered to accompany a Cardassian around the Enterprise, and has misgivings because of his traumatic experience fighting against the Cardiassians during their brutal and bloody war with the Federation.

O’Brien says, “It’s not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I’ve become because of you.”

[ Edited: 27 May 2008 03:32 PM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 27 May 2008 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-04

His being a Muslim aside, his behavior is no different than any other slumlord, be it Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Black White, Latino, etc. Same reprehensible lack of ethics regardless of religion.

Sure, but the problem is that his religion gives him the excuse to behave unethical, and it’s a religion that is very persistent in that. It’s always the others fault: the christians, the unbelievers, the imperialists, the racists etc. This might not be an elaborate Weltanschauung, but it’s enough to keep his hypocritical lifestyle going, this kind of crazy lies are basically what’s driving the guy.

Religion is especially damaging to human dignity when it diminishes personal responsibility, then it becomes pathological and starts to be very dangerous also to others when it meets the right kind of psychopath.
I think that “Islam” is just the most violent and uncriticised of them left, also because it shields itself so well.

Signature 

Martha Nussbaum
  —Cultivating Humanity

Posted: 27 May 2008 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-10-20
dlsmith - 27 May 2008 05:30 PM
BeAfraid - 27 May 2008 04:40 PM

Matthew

The behavior at first I thought to be associated to the fact that he was a slum lord, but when I found other things that he did which were just like the other Muslims I encountered in Afghanistan (come to think of it, I never found out if where I was was in Afghanistan or Pakistan…) in the 80s or in Lebanon or Turkey.

When I overheard him one night with his mistress upstairs (He has a “love nest” in one of the rooms upstairs, right above my room, and because I am so quite, he never discovered that you can hear through the walls and ceiling) talking about his tenants, the rest of the neighborhood, and the law suits against him… It confirmed the fact that his muslim attitudes were baising his ability to understand the US justice system.

1st: He refuses to recognize any court that does not recognize Sharia (this cost him almost everything he owned in his divorce)

2nd: He views all non-muslims as Dihimmi, as his rant to his mistress proved, and as such, he is free to lie, steal and cheat them.

3rd: He seems to feel that he just needs to bribe the correct people and that the laws do not apply to him (In his own words “The laws cannot apply to the righteous”)

I will admit to only having a distant knowledge of slumlords that had been based solely upon second hand or anecdotal evidence prior to my having been thrust into this situation after my wife decided to run off with everything I owned (after her and her boyfriend tried to kill me twice), but I also used the situation to educate myself so that in the future I will know what to do about situations like this should I be unfortunate enough (or stupid enough) to allow myself to get to this point again.

I have helped put one slumlord in prison in SF, and it looks like this one may be next if he continues to break his word, and if he acts in civil court as he acted in the divorce court (refusing to recognize it, refusing to present evidence because “I am right, and do not need to prove righteousness” [his words], insulting the judge, insulting his own counsel, etc…). So, I have seen the differences between your typical greedy bastard and this greedy bastard.

Matthew

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed