The last of the Grand Masters has fallen ...
Posted: 18 March 2008 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Arthur C. Clarke, Premier Science Fiction Writer, Dies at 90

I will raise a glass this weekend.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 19 March 2008 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

The last, and my personal favorite. I can’t be too sad though. What a long, varied, productive and amazing run this guy had.
Henceforth, I proclaim this date “Clarkemas” in my house.

“Clarkeoween”?

RIP

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 19 March 2008 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
mpbrockman - 19 March 2008 05:10 AM

Henceforth, I proclaim this date “Clarkemas” in my house.

I’d go with December 16th myself. Celebrate his birth rather than mourn his death—eh?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 19 March 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2007-06-14

I, like a lot of people, had my interest in astronomy and science sparked by reading sci-fi. I can remember when I read 2001 it was more like being taken on an adventure than reading a book. ACC was a true icon of the pre space-age, the expansive imagination of people like him will take us to the stars if we are wise enough to survive.

Arthur’s gone, Asimov’s gone, Sagan’s gone - let’s hope they did enough to sow the seeds of our destiny.

I can’t help feeling one of my last vestiges of young, hopeful, optimism has died with Arthur.

There was a rumour Morgan Freeman was taking up an option to star in and direct “Rendezvous with Rama”. Would be great to see it turned into a ‘sober’ sci-fi blockbuster.

Thanks Mr Clarke

P.S. he left strict instruction for a secular funeral service.

Posted: 19 March 2008 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
Jefe - 19 March 2008 11:58 AM

/tips a 1x5x9 pint to the Memory of Clark and his fine works.

Oooh ... no! That would be like crossing the streams! Don’t do it man!

It’s 1:4:9 (1²:2²:3²) is it not?

Sorry, got to try and build geek cred whenever I get a good opportunity. It’s the rock band thing. I play freakin’ trumpet and trombone in the band so it shouldn’t count against my geekage, but it’s still a rock band.

Byron

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed