Question for the mods and forum administrator
Posted: 27 March 2008 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

Is there a process for warning or banning trolls?  I think matriculated01’s documented poor behavior, bad language and recent admission that he doesn’t care if he’s offensive to our community are grounds for—at least—a warning.
My hide is thick, and I’ve decided to ignore him in any case… but I’m thinking of the turn-off to drive-by lurkers who may want to join the forum for civil discussion.
For lack of a better analogy, it’s like having a drooling, toothless idiot sitting on the front steps of your frat house during rush week. 
Who’d want to join?

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 27 March 2008 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-01-30

You’re a total hypocrite andrew.  And your appeal to the higher powers is the crowning achievement of your hypocrisy (and cowardice).  When I first started posting about Obama, I wasn’t insulting anyone.  And then you, and the other Obama supporters, became indignant and started with your snide remarks and sarcasm.  In the most recent threads you’ve repeatedly called me names such as asshole etc. and you’ve gone out of your way to make our exchanges as personal as possible.  You’ve stated that your goal is to “wound” me.  You, a bisexual man, have talked about me getting excited and my nipples getting erect. 

Your hostile indignance is pouring out of every word that you type, every letter that comprises it.  Even in this, your pleading request for somebody else to “take care of me,” you can’t contain yourself and you call me names.  Yea, that should really convince the administration that your hands are clean. 

Yes, I think there might be a “drooling, toothless idiot” sitting on the front steps, but he may be too self-righteous to realize that he comes across like one.  You like to talk about self-examination.  Why don’t you take your own advice then and look at yourself a little closer?

All you’re doing here is trying to silence somebody who’s got different opinions than your own and isn’t deterred by the usual tactics that you employ on others who might disagree, such as snide, snobby sarcasm and insults.  I guess it was too much to expect that you could take some of your own medicine.  You know what they say, “don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.”

[ Edited: 27 March 2008 01:59 PM by matriculated01]

Posted: 27 March 2008 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

[quote author=“matriculated01”]When I first started posting about Obama, I wasn’t insulting anyone.

(Andrew):  You’re right.  But things have progressed since then, and you’ve gotten nastier and meaner and more profane. You’ll have to admit.  I mean…give me that much.
I’m not concerned about your posts in January…I’m concerned about what you’re doing now. 
Back off a little and everything is Jake.
I don’t deny that you’ve been provoked by some posters—myself included—my complaint has to do with the way you’ve reacted.  Way over the line, in my view.  The genuine and heartfelt nastiness you exude… the pointless sarcsasm and juvenile insults.  If there was ever anything you had to say that was worth listening to, it’s long been buried under your peevishness and senseless profanity.
I think you reflect badly on the forum.  Thus my request to the mods and the forum administrator about a course of action.
No offense. 
[quote author=“matriculated01”]In the most recent threads you’ve repeatedly called me names such as asshole…

(Andrew):  Yes, I’ve said you were an asshole—that’s all—exactly twice—and that for your transparent efforts to drive a wedge between Democrats.  Guilty as charged.  You’re not seriously holding that up as a comparison your easily documented litany of uncalled-for offenses?  Are you? 
[quote author=“matriculated01”]You’ve stated that your goal is to “wound” me.

(Andrew):  No I haven’t.  There’s that language difficulty again.
[quote author=“matriculated”]You, a bisexual man, have talked about me getting excited and my nipples getting erect.

(Andrew):  OK?  I admit that that post was in poor taste…and I apologize to any denizens of the forum who took offense at the mention of body parts… but what does me being a bisexual man, have to do with my remark that your excitment at logging on to a site where you have enemies, probably makes your nipples (at least) erect?  I think that’s a pretty common reaction to confrontation.  Adrenaline and all.
You’re trying to turn this around and make it about me and my sexual orientation by appealing to ignorant stereotypes.  Sigh…
[quote author=“matriculated01”]...your (...) request for somebody else to “take care of me,”...

(Andrew):  You misunderstand…again.  I’m asking if there’s a vehicle that we mods can use to deal with internet trolls.  If there is, then I’m going to use it do deal with you. 
[quote author=“matriculated01”]All you’re doing here is trying to silence somebody who’s got different opinions than your own…

(Andrew):  How silly.  If that were the case, I’d be here trying to get rid of clayforhim48 or Bad_Conduct.  I’m just asking for civility, matriculated01.  As flexible and broad as the line is here, you cross it.  In my opinion.

I’d appreciate it if the mods would weigh in here.  If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.  But I’d like to hear what you have to say.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 27 March 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-30

Before I even begin to devastate you on specific points, I would like to point out the obvious hypocrisy in saying that you are “ignoring me,” only to find you replying to my post once again.  As I’ve stated before, you just can’t contain yourself, can you?

Now…I’ll actually take the time here and reply to specific points, because you’ve taken the..how shall I say it - chickenshit way out - and decided to appeal to higher powers to get this resolved.

Andrew - 27 March 2008 09:19 PM

I don’t deny that you’ve been provoked by some posters—myself included—my complaint has to do with the way you’ve reacted.  Way over the line, in my view.

I’ll give you credit for finally admitting that you’re a provocateur.  And “over the line” is your personal opinion.  I’ve seen many other posters express themselves in ways similar to my own and I don’t hear you complaining about them.  You’re complaining about me, because you’re directly involved with me and I consistently beat you at your own game.

...the pointless sarcsasm and juvenile insults.

Nothing you’re unfamiliar with.

If there was ever anything you had to say that was worth listening to, it’s long been buried under your peevishness and senseless profanity.

Peevishness and senseless profanity, nothing you’re unfamiliar with, again.  Do you deny it?

Thus my request to the mods and the forum administrator about a course of action.
No offense.

Oh no offense taken.  Believe me.  You couldn’t offend me no matter how hard you tried.  However, it does reflect your cowardice and inability to deal with me on your own.

Yes, I’ve said you were an asshole

Among other things…

Guilty as charged.

A rare moment of honesty.

matriculated01 - 17 December 2014 03:09 PM
(Andrew):  No I haven’t.  There’s that language difficulty again.
I would like to note yet another snide, snobby, sarcastic remark in there (regarding English, which I obviously have a better command of than you do), and at the same time repudiate yet another lie… Observe… [quote author=“Andrew” date=“1206498433”>(Andrew):  Ahh…a sore spot.  Did I wound you little?  Sure sounds like it.  Good….that was my intent.
That’s from the “WHY? Maybe it’s the wife” thread.  Don’t try to go back and edit it.  You’ve been caught in yet another lie.
matriculated - 17 December 2014 03:09 PM
(Andrew):  OK?  I admit that that post was in poor taste…and I apologize to any denizens of the forum who took offense at the mention of body parts…
Yea, no shit it was in poor taste, and how ‘bout you apologize to me, seeing as how those comments were directed at me. [quote author=“Andrew” date=“1206677967”> ...what does me being a bisexual man, have to do with my remark that your excitment at logging on to a site where you have enemies, probably makes your nipples (at least) erect?
How about you stop talking about my nipples?  Huh?  I find this obsession with my nipples disturbing.
Sigh…
Sigh? Sigh?  At least I’m not obsessed with your nipples.  Sigh right back at you.
You misunderstand…again. 
WRONG.  I didn’t misunderstand anything.  Hopefully one of these days you’ll realize that your monopoly on understanding things is just a delusion.
I’m asking if there’s a vehicle that we mods can use to deal with internet trolls.  If there is, then I’m going to use it do deal with you.
In translation, you’re too much of a coward to “deal with me” on your own and you’re appealing to the higher powers.  Your inability to deal with me does not make me a troll.  By your own admission, you have provoked me, so when I respond in kind, you have no right to get indignant and cry to the administrators that I’m being mean to you.  You’re getting no more than you asked for.  Man up and handle your own battles.
I’m just asking for civility, matriculated01.
I’ve tried that with you.  It failed.
I’d appreciate it if the mods would weigh in here.  If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.  But I’d like to hear what you have to say.
If there’s any sense of fairness in the way the mods handle this forum, they will see right through your hypocrisy.

Posted: 28 March 2008 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

[quote author=“matriculated01”] Before I even begin to devastate you on specific points, I would like to point out the obvious hypocrisy in saying that you are “ignoring me,” only to find you replying to my post once again.

(Andrew):  There’s something in me that won’t allow me to be rude.  And as this is a thread about you, it just wouldn’t be right to ignore your concerns.
It really doesn’t look like any other mods or the forum administrator care very much, or, in fact there is no vehicle on this forum to deal with trolls, so this will probably be it until I hear from one of them.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]...and decided to appeal to higher powers to get this resolved.

(Andrew):  I’m asking for advice and input…I’m not asking anyone to fight my battle for me.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]I’ll give you credit for finally admitting that you’re a provocateur.

(Andrew):  There’s that language problem again…no one has hired me to provoke you and I haven’t “admitted” they have. 
[quote author=“matriculated01”]I’ve seen many other posters express themselves in ways similar to my own and I don’t hear you complaining about them.

(Andrew):  Nobody that I’ve read (admittedly, I don’t read every post) express themselves with the level of uncalled-for nastiness that you exhibit.  And I can’t imagine any other poster verbally flipping off the forum as you do when someone calls you on your nastiness.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]You’re complaining about me, because you’re directly involved with me…

(Andrew):  No—I’ve been “directly involved” with many posters…often in very contentious debate…and this is the first complaint I’ve made.

(matriculated01—previously):  You’ve stated that your goal is to “wound” me.
(Andrew—in reply):  No I haven’t.  There’s that language difficulty again.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]Observe…

(Andrew—previously):  Ahh…a sore spot.  Did I wound you little?  Sure sounds like it.  Good….that was my intent.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]That’s from the “WHY? Maybe it’s the wife” thread.  Don’t try to go back and edit it.  You’ve been caught in yet another lie.

(Andrew):  Not at all.  You’re mixing tenses.  “Is” and “was”. I can never tell if you’re being disingenuous when you do that—or if it’s just a reflection of your poor grasp of the language.  In any case, you make it sound like it’s an ongoing goal of mine—to “wound” you—but it’s not.  I used a specific, one-time, announced (I drew attention to it-as sarcasm-when I said it), example—to give you an illustration of the sort of sarcasm that can hurt.  It looks like I was succesful.  Why you didn’t learn the lesson—why you continue to use sarcasm to hurt and belittle—is beyond me.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]Yea (...) it was in poor taste…

(Andrew):  As little room as you have to lecture anyone on poor taste…fair enough.  I apologize for talking about your nipples.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]I find this obsession with my nipples disturbing.

(Andrew):  This is what we call hyperbole.  Or, perhaps…you’re being intentionally deceitful.  A one-time reference doesn’t qualify as an “obsession”.  The frequency with whch you broach the subject, however, is coming close.  Are you obsessed with your nipples?

(Andrew—previously):I’m asking if there’s a vehicle that we mods can use to deal with internet trolls.  If there is, then I’m going to use it do deal with you.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]In translation, you’re too much of a coward to “deal with me” on your own and you’re appealing to the higher powers.

(Andrew):  No…I’m dealing with you now, in case you haven’t noticed. And I’ve never shied away, which would be indicative of cowardice.  And I’m a mod, so I’m not sure that there is a higher power—the forum administrator appears pretty hands-off. 
I’m just asking for advice and input from my fellow mods on a way to handle an internet troll.  I don’t know if this situation has come up before…I know how you’d be handled on most forums…three complaints and you’re gone. 
I’m assuming that we all have something invested in these fora, we’d each like this to be a pleasant place for everyone to hang out…and so I appeal to the other mods for suggestions.[quote author=“matriculated01”]Your inability to deal with me does not make me a troll.

(Andrew):  I have no problem dealing with you—you’re pretty much a light-weight, actually. But what makes you a troll is your over-the-top, inflammatory, sarcastic nastiness—your admitted indifference to the offense you cause—and the poor reflection you cast on the forum. 
[quote author=“matriculated01”]By your own admission, you have provoked me, so when I respond in kind…

(Andrew):  Your responses are never “in kind”, but a needless escalation of rhetoric couched in profane nastiness designed to elicit anger and hurt.
[quote author=“matriculated01”]...you have no right to get indignant and cry to the administrators that I’m being mean to you.

(Andrew):  You really don’t get it, do you?

Like I said…the other mods seem uninterested in this and the forum administrator hasn’t weighed in, so I guess I’m the only one who cares.  So be it. 
Thanks for the chat.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2008 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-30

Fine, I take it back.  Screw ya.  Tried being nice again, failed again.

[ Edited: 08 April 2008 01:32 PM by matriculated01]

Posted: 25 May 2008 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10
matriculated01 - 27 March 2008 05:44 PM

In the most recent threads you’ve repeatedly called me names such as asshole etc. and you’ve gone out of your way to make our exchanges as personal as possible.

As personal as ridiculing someone for their sexual orientation as you did to Andrew? 

Didn’t think so.

Posted: 25 May 2008 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Andrew - 27 March 2008 08:24 AM

Is there a process for warning or banning trolls?  I think matriculated01’s documented poor behavior, bad language and recent admission that he doesn’t care if he’s offensive to our community are grounds for—at least—a warning.

Personally I just exercise the minimal discipline required to “ban” certain users from my sphere of attention. It really isn’t all that hard to not read posts.

Eh?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 25 May 2008 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10

matriculated01 repeatedly tries to start arguments though by specifically going into threadsd that have nothing to do with ppl who don’t agree with him, such as Andrew and I, and then he will post crap insulting us.  I don’t have any issues with name calling so long as it is at least contained within a comment that makes an actual point or counterpoint.  But there are lots of cases where he doesn’t do this.  He literally enters a thread, replies to a general topic by insulting one of us out of nowhere, absent any actual rational discussion.  That is trolling.  I dunno about how useful a ban would be, but a warning to knock that shit off would be appreciated.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed