Spread by the Sword?
Posted: 29 November 2005 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2005-11-22

While it may be obvious to most that Islam did actually spread by the sword, there are still many Muslims, particularly moderates, who go about saying apologetically that this didn't occur. But…

This is something for which Islam deserves to be praised, not condemned. The defeatists should fear Allaah lest they distort this religion and cause it to become weak on the basis of the claim that it is a religion of peace. Yes, it is the religion of peace but in the sense of saving all of mankind from worshipping anything other than Allaah and submitting all of mankind to the rule of Allaah.

A clear refutation from a learned Saudi sheikh: http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=43087&dgn=4

Enjoy.

Posted: 21 December 2005 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2005-12-19

[quote author=“lorenzium”]While it may be obvious to most that Islam did actually spread by the sword, there are still many Muslims, particularly moderates, who go about saying apologetically that this didn’t occur. But…

This is something for which Islam deserves to be praised, not condemned. The defeatists should fear Allaah lest they distort this religion and cause it to become weak on the basis of the claim that it is a religion of peace. Yes, it is the religion of peace but in the sense of saving all of mankind from worshipping anything other than Allaah and submitting all of mankind to the rule of Allaah.

A clear refutation from a learned Saudi sheikh: http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=43087&dgn=4

Enjoy.

I understand you provide a link in support of your argument. I like to point out that people interpret things differently based on their limited understanding. If you were to say You want to spread a certain form of Social/Political System, your argument will be true. However, Religion is a matter of Heart and Mind.  One can only slave physical bodies but heart and mind are different story. The Creator will not ask few people to go out and occupy other people and make sure they believe in ME. Therefore, to say that God asked an individual to act in this way is illogical.

http://www.iad.org/PDF/WAMY4.pdf

Posted: 12 February 2006 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

To deny the proofs the sheikh offers above is illogical. If Islam didn’t use force to spread its ideaas, it would have died straight away. Remember the apostates after Muhammad died? Heaps of Arab tribes turned away from Islam as soon as Muhammad died. The next Caliph, Abu Bakr, and Umar ibn al-Khattab faced the dilemma of what to do about this.

Narrated Abu Hurairah: “When the Prophet died and Abu Bakr became his successor and some of the Arabs reverted to disbelief, ‘Umar said, “O Abu Bakr! How can you fight these people although Allah’s Apostle said, ‘I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: ‘None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, ‘and whoever said, ‘None has the right to be worshipped but Allah’, Allah will save his property and his life from me, unless (he does something for which he receives legal punishment) justly, and his account will be with Allah?’ “Abu Bakr said, “By Allah! I will fight whoever differentiates between prayers and Zakat, as Zakat is the right to be taken from property (according to Allah’s Orders). By Allah! If they refused to pay me even a kid they used to pay to Allah’s Apostle, I would fight with them for withholding it.” ‘Umar said, “By Allah: It was nothing, but I noticed that Allah opened Abu Bakr’s chest towards the decision to fight, therefore I realized that his decision was right.” [Bukhari, Volume:9 Book :84 (Dealing with Apostates)Number :59]

Withholding the Zakat (the compulsory Islamic charity) amounted to apostasy from Islam. The solution: fight them till they return to Islam or die.

Islam would have died a long time ago if it wasn’t for force.

Narrated Abu Burda:

Abu Musa said, “I came to the Prophet along with two men (from the tribe) of Ash’ariyin, one on my right and the other on my left, while Allah’s Apostle was brushing his teeth (with a Siwak), and both men asked him for some employment. The Prophet said, ‘O Abu Musa (O ‘Abdullah bin Qais!).’ I said, ‘By Him Who sent you with the Truth, these two men did not tell me what was in their hearts and I did not feel (realize) that they were seeking employment.’ As if I were looking now at his Siwak being drawn to a corner under his lips, and he said, ‘We never (or, we do not) appoint for our affairs anyone who seeks to be employed. But O Abu Musa! (or ‘Abdullah bin Qais!) Go to Yemen.’” The Prophet then sent Mu’adh bin Jabal after him and when Mu’adh reached him, he spread out a cushion for him and requested him to get down (and sit on the cushion). Behold: There was a fettered man beside Abu Muisa. Mu’adh asked, “Who is this (man)?” Abu Muisa said, “He was a Jew and became a Muslim and then reverted back to Judaism.” Then Abu Muisa requested Mu’adh to sit down but Mu’adh said, “I will not sit down till he has been killed. This is the judgment of Allah and His Apostle (for such cases) and repeated it thrice. Then Abu Musa ordered that the man be killed, and he was killed. Abu Musa added, “Then we discussed the night prayers and one of us said, ‘I pray and sleep, and I hope that Allah will reward me for my sleep as well as for my prayers.’” [Bukhari, Volume:9 Book :84 (Dealing with Apostates)Number :60]

Religion is a matter of Heart and Mind. One can only slave physical bodies but heart and mind are different story. The Creator will not ask few people to go out and occupy other people and make sure they believe in ME.

Tell that to Muhammad and his Companions. They would laugh in your face and consider you a hypocrite for not joining the jihad. Read the link again and again. Islam is not what YOU think it is - it is the Qur’an and Sunnah. Best thing to do is leave it and become free. Nothing to fear and nothing to doubt.

Posted: 25 February 2006 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-12-19

[quote author=“lorenzium”]
Tell that to Muhammad and his Companions. They would laugh in your face and consider you a hypocrite for not joining the jihad. Read the link again and again. Islam is not what YOU think it is - it is the Qur’an and Sunnah. Best thing to do is leave it and become free. Nothing to fear and nothing to doubt.

QUR’AN:

[QUR’AN 2:256] There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 2:256]
Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

This verse states a psychological fact that the submissive attitude of the mind and heart towards any sacred object cannot be obtained by force or compulsion, therefore, only a clear view of the sacred generates the spontaneous conviction to adopt the right and reject the wrong. It is not an imperative but an indicative statement. There is no room for considering this verse as having been abrogated by any other verse dealing with jihad. This verse also asserts that after the right way has become clearly distinct from error, man must reject the false gods and believe in Allah.

This verse confirms that which has been said, in detail, in the commentary of verses 190 to 193 of this surah, about the false accusation by the European historians that the Holy Prophet used the sword to preach Islam.

Sir Edward Dennison Ross says:

“For many centuries the acquaintance which the majority of Europeans possessed of Muhammadanism was based almost entirely on distorted reports of fanatical Christians which led to the dissemination of a multitude of gross calumnies. What was good in Muhammadanism was entirely ignored, and what was not good, in the eyes of Europe, was exaggerated or misinterpreted. It must not, however, be forgotten that the central doctrine preached by Muhammad to his contemporaries in Arabia, who worshipped the stars; to the Persians who acknowledged Ormuz and Ahriman; the lndians, who worshipped idols; and the Turks, who had no particular worship, was the unity of God, and that the simplicity of his creed was probably a more potent factor in the spread of Islam than the sword of the ghazis”.

Even William Muir, the worst enemy of Islam, in the following passage, admits that:

It is strongly corroborative of Muhammad’s sincerity that the earliest converts to Islam were not only of upright character, but his own bosom friends and people of his household; intimately acquainted with his private life, who could not fail otherwise to have detected those discrepancies which ever more or less exist between the professions of the hypocritical deceiver abroad and his actions at home.”

Through this verse peace, love and mutual understanding have been prescribed for the Muslims. Also refer to verse 125 of Bani Israil. There is no need for compulsion in religion because verse 2 of al Dahr says: “Verily, we have shown him (man) the (right) way; (whether) he be grateful or disbelieving (ungrateful)!” .......

http://www.al-islam.org/quran

==============================

JIHAD:

QUESTION:

I like to find out what is the meaning of jihad, and when is jihad called
for and what are the circumstances that people will be ready. Also the
kinds of jihad, like jihad Akber etc.

ANSWER:

Thank you for posing this very important question. Please accept my
apology for the delay in responding.

The term ‘jihad’ is derived from the root word ‘jahad’ which means to
strive, to be diligent.  From that comes another specific verb ‘jaahad’
which means specifically, to endeavour, to struggle, to strive, to contend
with, to fight against. ‘Jihaad’ (or as it is more commonly transliterated
as ‘jihad’) is from the latter verb.

There are two kinds of jihad, the major jihad and the minor jihad.

THE MAJOR JIHAD (JIHAD AL-AKBAR)

This is the struggle against one’s inner self (nafs) to subjugate and
control one’s passions and carnal desires. The base or carnal self
(nafs-e-ammarah) must be controlled by the conscience (nafs-e-lawwamah),
and only when one succeeds in this struggle does one attain the perfect self, the self at peace with itself (nafs-e-mutmainnah).  In respect of those who attain this state
, Allah says:

“O the soul at peace, return to your Lord, pleased with His good pleasure AND enter into the company of My true servants. And enter my Garden!”
(LXXXIX:27-30).

THE MINOR JIHAD (JIHAD AL-ASGHAR)

This means to struggle for Islam. Not for extension of boundaries, not for personal glory, not for the glory of any tribe, community or nation, but for the defence of Islam and the protection of its values. Such a struggle can take many forms, through the use of pen, through the use of tongue or through the use of the sword. This last form is often referred to in the Qur’aan as qitaal (warfare).

In Shi’ah theology, while self defence is permitted at any time, a general qitaal can be declared only by an Imam. In any case no qitaal can be regarded as a jihad if it is for territorial expansion or material gain or to fulfil any personal, tribal or national ambition.

For the benefit of the members I would like to discuss the above in a little more detail.

Unfortunately, more by design than through ignorance or by accident, the orientalists of the past always gave only one meaning to the term ‘jihad’ and that is warfare. The Muslims were led to believe, and many still do, that taking up arms for any cause of muslims was a jihad whether or not that cause related to Islam. This group is convinced that conquests were achieved and empires founded through jihad. This suited those who were inimical to Islam and gave a sense of pride in the past glory, to the ignorant believers. The views expressed by the Shi’ah ‘ulemah wereunheeded if not dismissed as anti-Islam. The majority distanced themselves from the true meaning of jihad and developed a kind of religious fervour based on implacable hostility.

Tabarsi as quoted by Allamah Majlisi in Bihaar, gives the following hadith of our 6th Imam (A.S.):

“If a person takes up arms and calls people to himself (to his help), and if there is someone among the Muslims who is more knowledgeable than him, then he (the one declaring jihad by calling people to arms) is certainly
misguided and false.”

The Holy Imam made this statement to a group which was supporting Muhammad al-Nafs as-Zakiyya who was a descendant of our second Imam and who had declared Jihad on the regime.

Imam Ridha (A.S.) is reported to have said that Jihad is obligatory only with a just Imam.

Shaykh Tusi (A.R.) as quoted by Dr. Abdulaziz Sachedina in his “The Just
Ruler” (pp. 112-115)  wrote as follows:

“The presence of al-imam al-adil is a pre-condition [for waging jihad
against unbelievers].  Without his permission it is not allowed to engage
in fighting ....”

Shaykh Tusi like all the other jurists have, however, declared it
permissible to engage in qitaal for the defence of life, property or
national boundaries.

Maulana Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi restates the above view in his bookletentitled ‘Islam’.

Let me conclude this part with following hadith from Wasa’il al Shiah
cited by Dr. Sachedina.

Abbad al-Basri met our fourth Imam (A.S.) in Mecca and reproached him: “O ‘Ali bin Hussain, you have abandoned jihad and its hardships and accepted the hajj and its comforts” and went on to recite ayah 111 of Surah IX which describes the activities and merits of those participating in jihad.

[The Ayah reads as follows: “Indeed Allah has bought from the believerstheir lives and their wealth because jannah shall be theirs. They shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding upon Him (Allah) in the Torah, and the Injeel and the Qur’an.”]

The Holy Imam replied

“If we had seen those who are thusdescribed (that is people with the same motives and dedication to Allah among those who are fighting now), then joining them in jihad would certainly be superior to hajj.”

Allah and His Prophet (SAWA) knew the diabolical trap the ummah was likely to fall into, if they failed to grasp the meaning of jihad in itsentirety. 

On return from one of the battles the Holy Prophet addressed
the Muslims as follows:

“You have now returned from jihad al-asghar. The jihad al-akbar continuesto remain a duty with you.”

The Holy Prophet and all our Holy Imams reiterated the duty of every muslim to undertake jihad al-akbar time and again and explained at length how this obligation can be fulfilled. I shall try to briefly summarise what jihad al-akbar is but for a more
detailed study I would refer the readers to the writings of Ayatullah
Khumaini, Ayatullah Khui, Sayyid Hussain Nasr, Shaykh Fadlillah Haeri any many other thinkers.

Ayatullah Khumaini describes jihad al-akbar as a migration from one’s ego to eternal Truth where the Creator’s wishes become the desires of the creature. Iqbal in his famous couplet has described the struggle as rising above the ego to such a height where the Creator becomes anxious to make the creature’s pleasure His pleasure. I would particularly urge my young readers to study Ayatullah Khumaini’s lecture on Suratul Fateha and to read the book entitled “The Light Within Me.” This will be an experience
which is bound to effect the future course of you lives.

In more prosaic terms jihad al-akbar means fulfillment of our obligations to Allah and to his creatures. To be concerned with the welfare of the Muslim ummah.

To wage war
(i) against ignorance by acquiring and disseminating knowledge;

(ii) against disease by employing our resources;

(iii) against poverty by ensuring that every member of the community hasthe means of basic subsistence; (iv) against dissension by giving up our pernicious habit of point scoring and by trying to understand the points of view of others; (v) against anti-islamic forces from within, by amr bilma’ruf and nahya anil munkir;

(vi) against religion becoming a mere ritual by making every effort to raise the level of our spirituality and last, but not the least (vii) against the possible loss of our youth from the fold of Islam, by ensuring that they are catered for and prepared to confront the dangers that lie ahead.

Please do not hesitate to ask any supplementary questions through the
usual channel

With salaams and du’aas from an humble servant of Ahlul Bayt and their
followers, and with a request to be remembered by you in your prayers,

Bashir Rahim

http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/aalimnetwork/msg00320.html

Posted: 25 February 2006 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-01-05

Flying planes into buildings or blowing yourself up while killing children doesn’t seem to fall into any of these categories:

[quote author=“Guest”]To wage war
(i) against ignorance by acquiring and disseminating knowledge;

(ii) against disease by employing our resources;

(iii) against poverty by ensuring that every member of the community hasthe means of basic subsistence;

(iv) against dissension by giving up our pernicious habit of point scoring and by trying to understand the points of view of others;

(v) against anti-islamic forces from within, by amr bilma’ruf and nahya anil munkir;

(vi) against religion becoming a mere ritual by making every effort to raise the level of our spirituality and last, but not the least

(vii) against the possible loss of our youth from the fold of Islam, by ensuring that they are catered for and prepared to confront the dangers that lie ahead.

I’m just not convinced that qitaal (the use of the sword) is being practiced as a last resort - it has become the default response by Islam.

Besides, voluntary and proactive “martyrdom” seems to be completely out of line with what martydom really is (by Islam’s definition or any other), which is dying for your cause at the hands of your enemy, not by your own hands (suicide).

So if this list is really what Islam teaches, where are the riots or protests or at least the letters-to-the-editors from Muslims who disagree with the Muslim suicide/homicide bombers?

The moderate Muslims are eerily silent on this issue, and the prevailing hypothesis is that moderate Muslims don’t exist and that the highest holy men of Islam completely support flying planes into buildings and blowing yourself up while killing children.

Posted: 26 February 2006 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Bashir Rahim, the first four points for which a war (jihad al-akbar) is undertaken are hardly different from common human decency in general.  The fight against 1) ignorance, 2) disease, 3) poverty, and 4) dissention seem to be the directives of any legitimate human community (that’s not to downplay their significance in Islam).  The last three reasons for jihad al-akbar, seem to be more like ways to ensure the survival and the ascendency of a particular ideology/religion and those three can sometimes be in direct conflict with the first four.  In fact if #5 (against anti-islammic forces) and #7 (against the loss of youth) might be employed in direct confrontation with the fight against ignorance.  So if these two latter forms of jihad al-akbar are to be enforced, they can throw into jeopardy the remainder.  WHen there is a clash between the spread of knowledge (education) and the maintaining of islam as the only true religion, which of the directives will win out?  From the evidence that I see (from a secularist perspective), #1 falls to #5 every time.

OF course it all centers around what the muslim interprets as the jihad al-akbar against ignorance, versus my own interpretation of the same.  For me, theism of any kind IS ignorance and any fight against ignorance would be a struggle to overcome theism of every flavour (and that wouldn’t fit the intent of islam).  But if one can step out of the narrow perspectives of theism and look at the world as extolling perfectly human values, #1 conflicts with #5 every time.  From the evidence of men having power over women in all aspects of that religion’s tenets, it seems obvious to the non-theist that ignorance of a certain kind must always command a priority in the practices of islam.  I guess as long as muslim women do not revolt by the hundreds of millions they will remain subjugated by their own beliefs and islam will prevail.

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 01 March 2006 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

I saw a news item this week that suggested the muslim women in Pakistan are beginning to revolt.  It’s about time ladies!

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 01 March 2006 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

Hello Guest,

I give you verses from the Qur’an, hadiths from Muhammad, Abu Bakr and Umar themselves, and you give me some *kafirs* called Edward Dennison and William Muir! From who do you take your religion? Kafirs? You fell right into the trap that the sheikh spoke about in the first post of this thread:

Robert Bean says: The Muslims conquered the entire world before and they could do it again.

The Orientalists wanted to slander Islam by claiming that it was spread by the sword.

The orientalist Thomas Arnold wrote his book The Preaching of Islam with the aim of killing off the spirit of jihad among the Muslims and proving that Islam was not spread by the sword, rather that it spread by means of peaceful preaching, free from any use of force.

The Muslims fell into the trap that was set up for them. When they heard the orientalists’ accusations that Islam was spread by the sword, they said: You are mistaken, listen to a refutation from one of your own people, this Thomas says such and such.

The defeatists among the Muslims come out to defend Islam, and they want to disavow Islam of this so-called lie, so they deny that Islam was spread by the sword, and they say that jihad is not prescribed in Islam, except in the case of self-defence. There is no such thing in Islam as taking the initiative in fighting in their view. This goes against what the Muslim scholars have stated, let alone the fact that it goes against the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

In all due respect Mr. Guest, if I were a Muslim, I would consider you a hypocrite. You reject the sayings and actions of Muhammad, you reject the verses from the Qur’an and the statements of the scholars, and you give me William and Edward! Well, William Muir spent much of his time in the Sub-Continent - no wonder his ideas about Islam were a little askew! Furthermore, look at what you quoted:

“It is strongly corroborative of Muhammad’s sincerity that the earliest converts to Islam were not only of upright character” Did you get that? His “earliest converts”. Of course, Muhammad didn’t bring the sword out until at least ten years later when he was in Madina. He started off good and preachy only because he was weak in numbers. As soon as he got power, he used it. Have a read of this and this .

Accept lies or accept the truth. It’s up to you.

Posted: 03 March 2006 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-12-19

[quote author=“CanZen”]I saw a news item this week that suggested the muslim women in Pakistan are beginning to revolt.  It’s about time ladies!

Bob

FYI:

The life of Woman in Uncivilized Nations

Woman in Pre-Islamic Civilizations

Woman in some other Civilizations

Woman in Arabia: The environment in which the Qur’an was revealed

What Islam brought for Woman

The freedom of Woman in Western Civilization

http://www.almizan.org/Discourses/SC1.asp

Posted: 03 March 2006 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-12-19

[quote author=“CanZen”]  WHen there is a clash between the spread of knowledge (education) and the maintaining of islam as the only true religion, which of the directives will win out?  From the evidence that I see (from a secularist perspective), #1 falls to #5 every time.

FYI:

http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/innoalgebra.html

http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/innoengineering.html

http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/innoastronomy.html

http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/innomedicine.html

http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/innopaper.html

Posted: 03 March 2006 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22

Back on topic.

How did Islam’s empire expand?

By the sword, right?

Posted: 05 March 2006 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-12-19

fyi:

The Utility of Islamic Imagery in the West

J.A. Progler
Asst Professor of Social Studies at CUNY, Brooklyn College
Vol XIV No. 4

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/islamicimageryinwest.htm

Posted: 09 March 2006 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

(This is the first paragraph of that Utility/Imagery think Guest linked off to)

The long history of encounters between Western civilization and Islam has produced a tradition of portraying, in largely negative and self-serving ways, the Islamic religion and Muslim cultures. There is a lot of literature cataloguing (and sometimes correcting) these stereotypes. It is not my intention to rehash this corpus here, though I do rely upon some of the more important works. What I want to do instead is focus on a particular dimension of these encounters, and examine why the West has consistently constructed and perpetuated negative images of Islam and Muslims.

Is this your argument Guest? We just want to portray Islam in a bad light? Blame your sheikhs then who tell us with proud evidence that Islam spread by the sword. Blame Muhammad for starting an eternal Jihad against the “Other” (as your article likes to say it). You are a Shia so blame the early Shiites for separating from the Sunnis which started constant war between you two groups. Blame Islam for being inherently violent and wanting to push itself on the world.  I’ve given you evidence after evidence from Islamic sources that show you that Islam did infact spread by the sword. I don’t know if you have even read any of them or you are just here to annoy us with your links. In the least, you should blame Allah for making you be born as a Muslim and not free to look at our arguments, or your religion, objectively.

Posted: 12 March 2006 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-12-19

[quote author=“lorenzium

Blame Muhammad for starting an eternal Jihad against the “Other”

FYI/E.

613 Muhammad Takes his Message Public

After several similar experiences, Muhammad finally began to reveal the messages he was receiving to his tribe. These were gathered verse by verse and later would become the Qur’an, Islam’s sacred scripture. In the next decade, Muhammad and his followers were first belittled and ridiculed, then persecuted and physically attacked for departing from traditional Mecca’s tribal ways. Muhammad’s message was resolutely monotheistic. For several years, the the Quraysh, Mecca’s dominant tribe, levied a ban on trade with Muhammad’s people, subjecting them to near famine conditions. Toward the end of the decade, Muhammad’s wife and uncle both died. Finally, the leaders of Mecca attempted to assassinate Muhammad.

622 Muhammad and the Muslims Emigrate to Medina

In 622, Muhammad and his few hundred followers left Mecca and traveled to Yathrib, the oasis town where his father was buried. The leaders there were suffering through a vicious civil war, and they had invited this man well known for his wisdom to act as their mediator. Yathrib soon became known as Medina, the City of the Prophet. Muhammad remained here for the next six years, building the first Muslim community and gradually gathering more and more people to his side.

625-628 The Military Period

The Meccans did not take Muhammad’s new success lightly. Early skirmishes led to three major battles in the next three years. Of these the Muslims won the first (the Battle of Badr, March, 624), lost the second (the Battle of Uhud, March, 625), and outlasted the third, (The Battle of the Trench and the Siege of Medina, April, 627). In March, 628, a treaty was signed between the two sides, which recognized the Muslims as a new force in Arabia and gave them freedom to move unmolested throughout Arabia. Meccan allies breached the treaty a year later.

630 The Conquest of Mecca

By now, the balance of power had shifted radically away from once-powerful Mecca, toward Muhammad and the Muslims. In January, 630, they marched on Mecca and were joined by tribe after tribe along the way. They entered Mecca without bloodshed and the Meccans, seeing the tide had turned, joined them.

http://www.pbs.org/muhammad/timeline_html.shtml

Posted: 13 March 2006 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

[quote author=“Guest”]They entered Mecca without bloodshed and the Meccans, seeing the tide had turned, joined them.

Guest, do me a favour, and before posting anything, see if there are any alternate views. You post things like they are the final words on the topic, and leave it to me to show you that it’s not. The supposed “bloodless” conquest of Mecca is another myth, popularised by those who don’t like to look their religion square in the face. Stop repeating lies and research yourself. From the earliest historical records, we know that several people did die that day, some very cruelly. Several people who had merely insulted Muhammad died. How’s that for clemency?  Here you go:

——-

This is from Sirat Rasoul, the earliest biography of Muhammad, by Ibn Ishaq.

Conquest of Mecca

The apostle reached Marr al‑Zahran with an army of ten thousand; the Bedouin tribes ‑ the Sulaym and the Muzayna ‑each contributed a thousand men, and many of them Believers. Not an Emigrant nor a Helper remained in Medina . The Quraysh knew nothing of the apostle’s approach, although Abu Sufyan and Budayl constantly sent out in search of news. But the apostle’s uncle, al‑Abbas, came out from Mecca and joined the apostle.

When the apostle of Allah was encamped at Marr al‑Zahran his uncle al‑Abbas said to himself, ’ “It will be the end of the Quraysh if the apostle enters Mecca by force without their having come to implore mercy from him.” So I mounted the white mule of the apostle and rode out, thinking, “Perhaps I may meet some wood‑gatherer who will tell the Meccans where the apostle is encamped, so that they may come out to him and ask for mercy before he has to take the town by force.” After I had gone some way, I heard two voices and they were the voices of Abu Sufyan and Budayl. Abu Sufyan said, “I have never seen as many fires as there are this night, nor so great an army!” and Budayl replied, “These are the Khuzaa, aroused by war.” But Abu Sufyan interrupted, “The Khuzaa are too mean and few for these to be their fires and troops.” .

‘Then I appeared and greeted him and he asked, “What is afoot?” I said, “Woe betide thee, Abu Sufyan! That is the apostle of Allah with his people! All is over with the Quraysh! ” He asked, “What is to be done?” and I told him, “If he conquers you, he will strike off your head. Mount behind me on this mule and I will take you to the apostle to ask for mercy.” So he mounted behind me, but his companion returned to Mecca .

‘I rode back and whenever I passed near a fire of the Muslims, they said, “This is the uncle of the apostle” and let me pass. Then I passed the fire of Umar and, seeing Abu Sufyan, he ex­claimed, “This is the enemy of Allah! Praise be to Allah who has delivered him into our hands.” Then he ran to the apostle, but I spurred the mule and overtook him, and hastened in to the apostle with Umar following. Umar cried, “Allow me to strike off the head of Abu Sufyan!” but I said “No. I have granted him protection.” Then we argued the case and the apostle told me to guard Abu Sufyan and bring him to the apostle in the morning.

‘At dawn we went to the apostle, who said to Abu Sufyan, “Is it not yet clear to thee that there is no other god save Allah!” He replied, “Had there been another god he should have proved himself by now and aided me!” The apostle continued, “Is it not yet clear to thee that I am the apostle of Allah?” Abu Sufyan replied, “I still have doubts in my mind as to that.” Then I said to him, “Woe betide thee! Make profession of Islam and say, ‘I testify that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the apostle of Allah,’ before he strikes off thy head!” So Abu Sufyan testified to the truth, and made profession of Islam. I said to the apostle, “Abu Sufyan is a man who likes to have something to boast of. Grant him some favour,” and the apostle granted that any man entering the house of Abu Sufyan would be secure, so also would any man who locked himself in his own house, and so also would any man who entered the mosque.

‘Then I took Abu Sufyan to a hollow of the mountain to watch the apostle and his army pass by. And all the auxiliary tribes passed first. At last the apostle appeared with the dark legion.’ It was called ‘dark’, because of all the armour it wore; only the eyes of the men were visible. ‘Abu Sufyan exclaimed, “None could resist men such as these! 0 Abbas, the power of your nephew has become great!” I replied, “It is the power of his prophecy! ” Then I told him, “Hasten back to your people!” ’

As soon as Abu Sufyan reached Mecca he cried aloud to the people, ‘Muhammad comes and cannot be resisted; but whoever enters the house of Abu Sufyan will be safe’ They replied, ‘Curses be upon you. Your house cannot shelter all!’ so he told them, ‘And whoever shuts himself up in his own house will be safe, and whoever enters the mosque will be safe’ Then the people dispersed to their houses and to the mosque.

When the apostle of Allah arrived at Dhu Tuwa he rose in his stirrups and humbly bowed his head to Allah as he observed the empty streets which betokened victory.

Starting from Dhu Tuwa, the apostle divided his troops, giving al‑Zubayr command of the left wing, and giving the Helpers to Sad b. Ubada. But one of the Emigrants heard Sad chanting, ‘This is a day of slaughter; today the sanctuary will be profaned.’ So the apostle sent Ali after him with orders to take the banner from Sad and lead the Helpers himself. Khalid was appointed over the right flank, which consisted of the Arab tribes, and Abu Ubayda commanded the Emigrants, who were followed by the apostle himself He entered the upper part of Mecca and had his tent pitched there.

Safwan b. Ummaya, Suhayl b. Amr, and Ikrirna the son of Abu Jahl, however, had gathered some men together to fight at al‑Khandama. They were attacked by Khalid’s column of tribesmen, two of whom strayed from the main body and were slain; but twelve or thirteen of the idolaters were killed, and the others put to flight. The apostle had instructed his commanders not to fight against any man except those who attacked. There were, however, some enemies of Allah whom he ordered to be slain even if they were hidden in the curtains of the Kaba itself. One of these was Abdullah b. Sad; the apostle of Allah ordered him to be killed because, after having made a profession of Islam and assisted the apostle in writing the revelations, he had relapsed into idolatry, returned to his home, and taken refuge with his milk‑brother. This brother concealed him, but at last brought him to the apostle of Allah, after Mecca had settled down peaceably. He pleaded for him, and it is recorded that the apostle of Allah remained silent for a long while; then he said, ‘Yes.’ After the man had departed, the apostle turned to his companions and said, ‘I remained silent, expecting that one of you would rise and strike off his head.’ Then a man of the Helpers asked, ‘Why didst thou not give me a sign, o apostle of Allah?’ and he replied, ‘A prophet does not kill by a sign.’

Another ordered to be slain was a man who, after becoming a Muslim and being sent by the apostle of Allah with one of the Helpers to collect the poor‑tax, had killed his freedman, who was a Muslim. Whilst on a journey he had halted at a caravanserai and had ordered his freedman to slaughter a kid and prepare a meal from it, but the freedman had fallen asleep. When his master awoke and found that nothing was prepared he fell upon him and killed him; then he relapsed into idolatry, and kept two singing‑women, both of whom sang songs insulting the apostle of Allah, who ordered them to be killed with their master.

Another who had insulted two daughters of the apostle was also killed, and some who had persecuted the apostle himself were put to death. But some were given pardon. The daughtor of Abu Talib, the uncle and one‑time guardian of the apostle of Allah, told how ‘Two men of the tribe of my father‑in‑law fled to me, then my brother came and said “By Allah, I shall kill them.” I locked my house upon them and went to the apostle of Allah, who was in the upper part of Mecca . I found him washing himself from a kneading trough still containing vestiges of dough, whilst his daughter Fatima was shielding him with his robe. After he had finished he put on his garments and recited his morning prayers. Then he turned to me, saying “Welcome! What has brought thee here?” I told him about the two men and about my brother’s wish to kill them, and he replied, “We protect whom thou protectest, and we grant safety to whom thou grantest safety He shall not kill these two men.” ’

When peace reigned once more the apostle went to the Kaba and rode seven times round it on his camel, touching the sacred stone with a stick which he held in his hand. After this, he called Uthman b. Talha and took from him the key of the Kaba. This was opened to him, and he entered. There he found a pigeon made of aloe‑wood, and he broke this idol with his own hand and threw it outside. The other idols stood fixed with lead, and the prophet made a sign with his stick in the direction of the idols, saying, ‘Truth has arrived and falsehood has gone, because falsehood was perishable.’ Nor did he point to the front of any idol, but it fell down on its back; nor did he point to its back, but it fell down on its face. Not one idol remained standing. The apostle remained at the door of the Kaba and the people from the mosque surrounded him.

Then the apostle said, ‘There is no God but Allah alone. He has kept His promise, and aided His servant. He alone has put the confederates to flight. Every prerogative now lies with me save two ‑ the guardianship of the Kaba, and the office of pro­viding water for pilgrims.

‘Killing, when heavy injury was all that was intended, must be made good by a fine of one hundred camels, among which there must be forty pregnant ones.

‘People of the Quraysh! Allah has freed you from the arrogance of idolatry. All men are from Adam, and Adam is from earth! . . How do you expect I shall deal with you?’ They said,

Well. Thou art our noble brother’, and he replied, ‘You may go free.’ The apostle of Allah then entered the Kaba with Bilal, and ordered him to give the call to prayers.

On the day of the conquest a man entered Mecca who had murdered one of the allies of the Khuzaa. He was recognized and menaced by the Khuzaa. ‘Then came Khirash, warding off the swords of the Khuzaa and shouting “Keep away!” We imagined his intention was that the people should leave the man alone, but when we moved away he himself attacked and speared him through the belly; and I can still see him with his entrails spilling out and his eyes becoming fixed. The man gasped, “You have done wrong, you Khuzaa”, and then died.’

The apostle of Allah said, ‘There has been enough slaughter.’ He said further, ‘Allah established Mecca as a sanctuary on the day He created the heavens and the earth; therefore it is a sanc­tuary till the day of the resurrection. No man who believes in Allah and in the resurrection may shed blood in it or fell a tree in it. It was not permitted to anyone who came before me, nor will it be permitted to anyone after me. It has been permitted to me only during this hour, because of the wrath of Allah towards the inhabitants of Mecca ; now again it is a sanctuary as before. Let those of you who are present tell this to those who are absent. If any man says to you, “Verily the apostle of Allah has killed in Mecca “, say “Allah has made it right for His Apostle but not for you.” 0, ye Khuzaa! Stay your hands from killing. You have committed a murder for which I shall pay the blood ransom; but if after my stay here anyone is killed, the relative of the murdered man will have the choice between the blood of the murderer or a ransom.’

Then the apostle paid the ransom due for the [blood of the] man whom the Khuzaa had slain. The amount of the ransom was one hundred camels.

The apostle sent out expeditions to the surrounding territory to invite the people to Allah, but not to kill. Khalid, however, used violence on one expedition, against the Jadhima, and killed some of them. The apostle remained in Mecca for twenty‑five days after the conquest.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed