From Ayn Rand…
Posted: 04 April 2008 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

Taken from “The Fountainhead”  Ms Rand’s thoughts on Collectivism through her characters in the book.

I’ve always said just that. Clearly, precisely and openly. It’s not my fault if you couldn’t hear.  You could, of course.  You didn’t want to.  Which was safer than deafness - for me.  I said that I intended to rule.  Like all my spiritual predecessors.  But I am luckier than they were.  I inherited the fruits of their efforts and I shall be the one who’ll see the great dream make real.  I see it all around me today.  I recognize it.  I don’t like it.  I don’t expect to like it.  Enjoyment is not my destiny.  I shall find such satisfaction as my capacity permits.  I shall rule…

It’s only a matter of discovering the lever.  If you learn how to rule one man’s soul, you can get the rest of mankind.  It’s the soul, Peter, the soul.  Not whips or swords or fire or guns.  That’s why the Caesars, the Attilas, the Napoleons were fools and did not last.  We will.  The soul, Peter, is that which can’t be ruled.  I must be broken.  Drive a wedge in, get your fingers on it - and the man is yours.  You won’t need a whip, he will being it to you and ask to be whipped.  Set him in reverse- and his own mechanism will do the work for you.  Use him against himself.

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 24 April 2008 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-04-24

Sounds more like a portrayal of Nietzche’s hero than of Rand’s thoughts on collectivism. The life of Wynand was the perfect example of the consequences that stem from living a life that is not based on rational self-interest.

If you live like him and try to manipulate people to achieve what you want you can only lose in the end. Nobody can evade the penalties of behaving in a way that is consistent with illogical ethics. It’s only those with integrity in regard to holding the right values that can be happy like Roark.

I’m new to this forum. Are there any active Objectivists that post here?

Posted: 25 April 2008 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

Welcome SpaceChimp…my friend Sandy who post here is probably an Objectivist, she and her husband actually met Ayn.  I love the writings of Ayn but have never been a part of the Objectivism movement.  Are you?  How does one become involved?

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 28 April 2008 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2006-10-08
SpaceChimp007* - 25 April 2008 03:51 AM

Sounds more like a portrayal of Nietzche’s hero than of Rand’s thoughts on collectivism. The life of Wynand was the perfect example of the consequences that stem from living a life that is not based on rational self-interest.

If you live like him and try to manipulate people to achieve what you want you can only lose in the end. Nobody can evade the penalties of behaving in a way that is consistent with illogical ethics. It’s only those with integrity in regard to holding the right values that can be happy like Roark.

I’m new to this forum. Are there any active Objectivists that post here?

The “right” values?  Ah, Rand….

I liked much of what Rand had to say.  She was right about a lot, but in the end she was just another idealist and doomed to the same scrap heap as all the others.  The more I read the more she seemed like a megalomaniac.  I finally laughed her off when I read her edicts describing “objectively” what was art and what was not.  Now that’s hysterical!

Just shows to go ya…  she was just another human who fell prey to the alluring aspects of stardom and an entourage of sycophants.  Telling me what is art and what is not?  Fuck you, Ayn!

Signature 

cool hmm

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed