Question about Daniel Dennett’s writings
Posted: 11 April 2008 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I read his ‘Breaking the Spell’ a short time back and really enjoyed it. I was thinking about his ‘Darwins Dangerous Idea’ but was wondering if it had anything really different to add. I probably should have read it first, as it is the older writing but…Breaking the Spell covers quite a bit of evolutionary psychology and some biology and memetics so, I was wondering how much it is redundant of the other offering. Thanks in advance for any insight into this. Regards, McC

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 11 April 2008 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
McCreason - 11 April 2008 11:36 AM

I read his ‘Breaking the Spell’ a short time back and really enjoyed it. I was thinking about his ‘Darwins Dangerous Idea’ but was wondering if it had anything really different to add. I probably should have read it first, as it is the older writing but…Breaking the Spell covers quite a bit of evolutionary psychology and some biology and memetics so, I was wondering how much it is redundant of the other offering. Thanks in advance for any insight into this. Regards, McC

I read both. Darwins Dangerous Idea is the better though he does use the ideas developed there in Breaking the Spell. It’s a great read, more focused on the “universal acid” of the idea of evolution.

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 11 April 2008 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

eucaryote

Cool name! Is your signifcant other prokaryote grinFWIW I thought they were spelled with a k not a c. Anyway, thanks for the info on Dennetts books. I think I will read ‘Darwins Dangerous Idea’ as well. Trouble is I have soooo many reads on my list!
Bact wink eria rules!!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 29 April 2008 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2006-10-08

Cellist!

Signature 

cool hmm

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed