Top 100 public intellectuals
Posted: 29 April 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Some may find this list interesting.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4293

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 29 April 2008 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

Thomas Friggin Friedman made the cut ?

I suppose pompousness counts as intellect these days.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 29 April 2008 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11
McCreason - 29 April 2008 03:31 PM

Some may find this list interesting.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4293

Thank you for that one Mcreason. So two atheists make the grade huh ? Goody goody !  I’ve read books by Lewis and he’s a great source of info. and knowledge about the middle East, Islam etc. He knows what he’s talking about. I also read Jared Diamond and am pleased to see he is on the list.  But Al Gore ?  Give us a break !  The guy is one of the phoniest “intellectuals ” on the face of this Earth. He’s a big ego is what he is. He’s got the whole world in a tizzy about a hot tomorrow . And I never could understand why he got so interested—-oh, don’t get me started !

Salmon Rushdee got knighted ?  How very fitting—he’s got to be some kind of hero surviving all these years

Posted: 30 April 2008 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Personally I was glad to see Dawkins and Dennett make the list. I think they are contributing intellectually quite a bit to the world these days.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 April 2008 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Dee, what do you mean, “So two atheists made the grade huh?”  I can name at least 13 atheists (Chomsky, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, Hirsi Ali, Diamond, Habermas, Ignatiev, Lewis, Pinker, Ramachadran, Rushdie, Singer, and E.O. Wilson).  These are people on the list that I know from reading their works, but I could readily add that all of the scientists on the list and all those from China are probably atheists.  Also, most of those from Europe are probably non-theists.  Aside from Pope Ratzinger and Charles Taylor (and perhaps Al Gore) I don’t recognize anyone else as particularly religious . . have you actually had a good look at the list?  I am willing to bet that 80 to 90 percent are non-theists.  Wake up!

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 30 April 2008 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2006-02-01

But Bob…Fox News says Al Gore is bad. Who can argue with logic like that?

Signature 

All Christians should be sent to heaven immediately.

Posted: 02 May 2008 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11
CanZen - 01 May 2008 03:22 AM

Dee, what do you mean, “So two atheists made the grade huh?”  I can name at least 13 atheists (Chomsky, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, Hirsi Ali, Diamond, Habermas, Ignatiev, Lewis, Pinker, Ramachadran, Rushdie, Singer, and E.O. Wilson).  These are people on the list that I know from reading their works, but I could readily add that all of the scientists on the list and all those from China are probably atheists.  Also, most of those from Europe are probably non-theists.  Aside from Pope Ratzinger and Charles Taylor (and perhaps Al Gore) I don’t recognize anyone else as particularly religious . . have you actually had a good look at the list?  I am willing to bet that 80 to 90 percent are non-theists.  Wake up!

Bob

WOW !  I have “AWAKED “!!!  Must you be so hard on me ?  I believe you ! If what you say is true, and I’m sure you know what you are talking about, I am delighted. Maybe intellectuals are becoming smarter ! Ha ha ha ha- oh—-sorry !  It’s the “How to live a better life by knowing God ” writers that are sickening and I’d hate to see them on an “intellectuals” list.

Posted: 03 May 2008 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

I was glad to see “Sam” Powers.  She is very knowledgeable and intelligent.  Unfortunately, Obama had to “can” her after her “monster” remark about Hillary.

I trust (if he becomes President) he will keep her on the side.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed