4 of 4
Panpsychology
Posted: 21 May 2008 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-01-27
homunculus - 20 May 2008 12:23 AM

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” ... Even when talking to children, who says such things?

I recall telling kids such things as “How would you feel if someone did that to you?” which I hope you will agree have a similar effect, if they work at all.

But small kids are a bit like dogs—it’s the tone of voice and the body language more than the words that do the work. Then it’s the effect of the quoted sentiment on one’s own peace of mind that helps.

Similarly with good philosophy—the effect on one’s own mind is often more important than whether one can get some wise-guy idiot to agree.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
—Euripides

Signature 

New for 2009: see my godblogs here (PDF, 272 pages, 1.2 MB)

Posted: 21 May 2008 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2818
Joined  2005-04-29
AtheEisegete - 21 May 2008 01:49 PM

I recall telling kids such things as “How would you feel if someone did that to you?” which I hope you will agree have a similar effect, if they work at all.

Very true. Various empathy therapies can work wonders both on children and adults.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed