Here we go again
Posted: 17 May 2008 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

http://richarddawkins.net/article,2596,Texas-Megachurch-Minister-Busted-in-Internet-Sex-Sting,Fox-News

Texas Megachurch Minister Busted in Internet Sex Sting

BRYAN, Texas — A minister from a Dallas-area Baptist megachurch was caught in an Internet sex sting and charged with online solicitation of a minor, police said Friday.

Undercover officers posing as a 13-year-old girl communicated with Joe Barron, 52, of Plano for about two weeks. The online conversations were sexual in nature, police said.

On May 6, Barron suggested meeting the girl in person. He eventually made the nearly 200-mile drive to Bryan on Thursday, when he was arrested. Police said they found a web-cam and condoms in his car.

Barron remained in Brazos County Jail on Friday on $7,000 bail. Police did not know if he had an attorney.

Barron is one of 40 ministers at Prestonwood Baptist Church, one of the largest churches in the country with 26,000 members. He ministers to married adults.

Mike Buster, executive pastor, said in a statement that the church had no record or knowledge of previous improprieties or saw any inappropriate behavior in the 18 months Barron was on the church staff.

Buster said church officials are fully cooperating with police.

“We are disturbed and saddened by the reports we have heard and we are praying for the Barron family,” he said.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 18 May 2008 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2007-08-28

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear one of these pedophile stings is how can anyone be so stupid. It’s like waiting in line at airport security, and you hear someone say “I’m sorry, Ma’am, bombs aren’t allowed on the plane.”

Posted: 18 May 2008 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
mcalpine - 18 May 2008 03:29 PM

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear one of these pedophile stings is how can anyone be so stupid. It’s like waiting in line at airport security, and you hear someone say “I’m sorry, Ma’am, bombs aren’t allowed on the plane.”

Yeah, and since this happened in my state, I’m not sure whether I should be more upset at the perversity or the stupidity of it. Oh well, at least it wasn’t with someone in his church’s youth group. I’ve got to look for bright spots anywhere I can with this sort of stuff.

Posted: 18 May 2008 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
mcalpine - 18 May 2008 03:29 PM

The first thing I think is “Denying your biology didn’t turn out to be such a brilliant doctrine there, did it.”

These guys spend much effort in suppressing our certain aspects of human nature through authoritarian means (denial and strategic shame, mostly) rather than teaching understanding and responsibility. Biology and other aspects of reality aren’t great respecters of dogma, and denying one’s own biological needs brings about obvious results—well, obvious to anyone with any degree of genuine understanding about them anyway. So that these right wing religious authoritarian bone heads lose the struggle to deny the reality of their biology and things veer off course in the process is never surprising. It’s sad when there are innocent victims, but not surprising.

Such are the true fruits of the Spirit (of faith).

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed