1 of 2
Bill Maher’s “Religulous” Trailer
Posted: 08 June 2008 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10

Comedian, unapologetic athiest, political pundit, and host of an awesome HBO show is making a documnetr about religion.  And boy does it look entertaining.  Here’s the trailer for Bill Maher’s upcoming film, ‘Religulous’:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77L8atrzbTo&NR=1

Film releases in the US October 3rd, 2008.  smile

[ Edited: 08 June 2008 06:51 AM by tavishhill2003]

Posted: 08 June 2008 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2008-05-22

I thought I heard something about this film coming out around Easter, then bumping the date back to around July. Is it definitely coming to our theaters on October 3, or is this still up in the air?

This looks like something everyone on earth should go see…..especially religious people who may not have taken an honest look at what they believe, and asked WHY.

I like how Bill Maher points out that religious people think it’s absurd that Santa could deliver presents to the whole world in one night…..but these very same people somehow DON’T find it so absurd that someone can hear the “murmurings” of the whole world at the same time!

Posted: 08 June 2008 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10

It was set to come this month, but got delayed until Oct.  That is the official date and it sounds pretty solid.

Posted: 08 June 2008 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2005-06-05

Can’t wait!

Signature 

The road of excess leads to the palace of Wisedom
-William Blake, “Proverbs of Hell”

Life, what is it but a dream?
- Lewis Carroll, “A boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

Posted: 08 June 2008 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04
tavishhill2003 - 08 June 2008 03:57 PM

It was set to come this month, but got delayed until Oct.  That is the official date and it sounds pretty solid.

Oct. 3 to be exact.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 08 June 2008 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25
tavishhill2003 - 08 June 2008 10:49 AM

Comedian, unapologetic athiest, political pundit, and host of an awesome HBO show is making a documnetr about religion.  And boy does it look entertaining.  Here’s the trailer for Bill Maher’s upcoming film, ‘Religulous’:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77L8atrzbTo&NR=1

Film releases in the US October 3rd, 2008.  smile

Well Well well....AH HA Ha ha....

Leave it to Bill Maher to use all the crazy people to make religion look ridiculous. I didn’t see Billy Graham in there, or Franklin Graham, or Pat Robertson (he’s pretty lucid during an interview), or one of those people are highly education or scientists who are pretty rational and still believe in God and/or the bible. I mean, hey, if you want a comedy, hey, by all means, show the most ridiculous people you can find. But it won’t change any minds, because all rational people who are believers/non-believers know people like me, normal law abiding citizens, funny, rational, cool, hip (nah…....nerd more like it) who HAPPEN TO BELIEVE in the bible.

Hey, that’s the way it is. And there are a billion or two like me out there. But here is the bottom line. At the end of the day, really, I…..think…..Bill Maher (though I’m fond of his ability to make me laugh) and all you atheists are ridiculous. I mean, COME ONE, a creator is self evident to you just by looking at our universe and the myrid complexities of life, I mean, COME ON, don’t be ridiculous!

Can’t wait until that Ben Stien movie comes out on video, Expelled. Same with this flick, I love renting them and watching at home. Much more fun than having some clown behind you munching on popcorn with his mouth open and all those clicking and kicking on the back of my seat as little Johnny starts fidgeting and big Johnny has no clue about discipline as little Johnny ruins half the flick for everyone two rows in front and behind.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 09 June 2008 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
TheChampion - 09 June 2008 02:44 AM

Pat Robertson (he’s pretty lucid during an interview)

Ahhhh, good ol’ Pat Robinson.  I recall back in the mid-80s watching him give a sermon on tv.  I was in the middle of a three month series of meditations, part of which involved characterizing negative traits or behaviors as animals.  So I sat there watching Pat speak to the crowd and what I saw was Mythomania, the Python, strangling the life out of the audience.  The smell of sulfur was palpable.

Posted: 09 June 2008 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
burt - 09 June 2008 06:25 AM
TheChampion - 09 June 2008 02:44 AM

Pat Robertson (he’s pretty lucid during an interview)

Ahhhh, good ol’ Pat Robinson.  I recall back in the mid-80s watching him give a sermon on tv.  I was in the middle of a three month series of meditations, part of which involved characterizing negative traits or behaviors as animals.  So I sat there watching Pat speak to the crowd and what I saw was Mythomania, the Python, strangling the life out of the audience.  The smell of sulfur was palpable.

Ever watch the 700 Club? It is a Christian news oriented show where is the main anchor. Just as good as anything the devil, err, the ABC, NBC, CBS, CNBC, or the NYT (i.e., the world)  can muster.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 09 June 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-22

What’s up Champion? I’m Josh. I’m new to this forum, this is my first month. I’ve been reading through a lot of debates, and have read a lot of what you have to say. Obviously you’re a hard-core Christian. Personally, I don’t just believe things on insufficient evidence, but in this thread you appeared to make an attempt at submitting some evidence. You said “a creator is self evident to you just by looking at our universe and the myrid complexities of life…”

I know the point you’re trying to make…..that maybe all this complexity didn’t evolve over billions of years, but that there is an intelligent designer of all of this. Now, the first question that pops into my head is “who created the creator”, but that’s a whole different discussion best saved for another thread. The question I really want to ask you is this (and this is not an attack; this is a sincere question that I would really like to know your answer to).

What evidence do you have that YOUR god is the intelligent designer of all things, as opposed to the thousands of other gods (past and present) who are (an were) also believed to be the creator of this same universe? Do you have proof that uniquely validates your god above all the rest of them, or is it just your word against theirs?

Posted: 09 June 2008 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04

Don’tcha know? It’s “written on your heart”!  Come on, Champ. Errrr…..am I right?  Do I feel the love shining through? Can you give me an amen?

Good luck with this one, Josh.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 09 June 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Who needs Billy G or Pat Robertson nowadays when we have… Joel Osteen!!

I think Bill Mahr and George Carlin would be a great duo for Pres and VEEP.

They may not be right about everything but at least we could all laugh about it if they were not.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 09 June 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

I like the scene in the trailer where Maher asks the Jesus impersonator why god doesn’t get rid of all the evil in the world.

He will.

What’s he waiting for?

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 09 June 2008 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
Josh - 09 June 2008 12:43 PM

What’s up Champion? I’m Josh. I’m new to this forum, this is my first month. I’ve been reading through a lot of debates, and have read a lot of what you have to say. Obviously you’re a hard-core Christian. Personally, I don’t just believe things on insufficient evidence, but in this thread you appeared to make an attempt at submitting some evidence. You said “a creator is self evident to you just by looking at our universe and the myrid complexities of life…”

I know the point you’re trying to make…..that maybe all this complexity didn’t evolve over billions of years, but that there is an intelligent designer of all of this. Now, the first question that pops into my head is “who created the creator”, but that’s a whole different discussion best saved for another thread. The question I really want to ask you is this (and this is not an attack; this is a sincere question that I would really like to know your answer to).

What evidence do you have that YOUR god is the intelligent designer of all things, as opposed to the thousands of other gods (past and present) who are (an were) also believed to be the creator of this same universe? Do you have proof that uniquely validates your god above all the rest of them, or is it just your word against theirs?

Josh, lad, how refreshing to see such honesty, completely devoid of malevolence, is it no wonder that people call honesty a virtue. And to think, you used you real name and not some stupid moniker…...like me, heh heh.

Well I must say, you have asked a key question. People can ask all day long, where is the evidence. The only evidence that I can give you is the changed lives of those who take up their cross and follow…....him. And it is only by faith that we follow him and we do this in his strenght, not our own because apart from him we can do nothing. This faith is important because, without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him (Heb 11:6).

The bible says to let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Heb 12:1-2).

So there you have it, and you know what Josh, that’s good enough for me. Might not have been good enough when I was a young lad as well. But through time and life and space and trials and persecutions and highs and lows and mountain tops and valleys and hurts and wounds and separations and loss of life and tears and hopes and dreams and many years, it IS good enough and its well with my soul.

Someday you may say the same.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-22

Champ, I’d like to continue this discussion in a new thread, because it appears we’ve already derailed this thread (originally about Bill Maher’s movie). I’ll start one called “Champ’s evidence”, and I can address your arguments there.

Everyone else, Religulous is coming out on October 3…..discuss!

Posted: 11 June 2008 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2005-06-05

The film title is great, btw.  Says it all.

I bet the fundies will poo thier britches trying to stop local theaters from showing the film, especially here in ‘the belt’.  If there are pickets I’ll take time off work just to get them on video.  That’ll be priceless!  LOL

Signature 

The road of excess leads to the palace of Wisedom
-William Blake, “Proverbs of Hell”

Life, what is it but a dream?
- Lewis Carroll, “A boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

Posted: 13 June 2008 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
rabbit - 11 June 2008 05:28 PM

The film title is great, btw.  Says it all.

I bet the fundies will poo thier britches trying to stop local theaters from showing the film, especially here in ‘the belt’.  If there are pickets I’ll take time off work just to get them on video.  That’ll be priceless!  LOL

Two comments on this thread:

1) It is the opposite of what you say. The fundies, especially the fundies, but probably all REAL Christians nationwide will be happy to shine the light of man’s logic (thereby illuminating the contrast between man’s flawed logic and God’s pure logic) upon the church at large and its foundational document, the bible. I….we….welcome this scrutiny. Its been too long since the Divinci Code. We need more scrutiny, and hopefully general outrage from those who truly do not believe at all. We need to separate the sheep from the goats, the wheat from the tares, and this is a fine way to do so.

Things like this movie will a) bring out the persecution (which is a good thing actually, because it helps church growth and individual spiritual growth) and b) force the issue on the national stage (for two long this issue is ignored in movies and tv shows and cable news hours and History channels and on and on). BRING IT ON, bring it on, BRING IT ON

The church I attend actually gave out tickets to the Divinci Code along with Q and A so that people would actually get the truth. This actually brought in new converts due to a) people who took offense at the mass distortion, b) people who were lulled to “sleep” most of their lives and suddenly were confronted with a choice, turn or burn (no, just kidding, the choice of life for Christ as opposed to ignoring God’s wonderful gift of salvation.

Just so you people on this board know and understand, for people like me, you can’t get this movie out fast enough.

2) You know, is not Bill Maher a court jestor turned intellectual? I mean, recall that when Kings were in bad moods, they would bring in court jesters to entertain them. Court jesters were a lowly bunch, humiliated and forced to say and do things to make others laugh. Is not Bill Maher a latter day court jester? And now he wants everyone to…..respect his views….?...to take him seriously…..?......not as a court jester (err, comedian), but as a free thinker…..? Is there not somebody else with a little more verve?

Oh well, I like him and he will certainly be entertaining. But how can you take a drug taking (eh, his own words…...on his show, come on now, not hating), playment chasing (eh, ever watched that show ‘the girls next door,’ hugh hefner’s girlfriends, Maher is at every hedonistic party Hugh throws), logic thrashing (eh, mostly straw arguments are espoused on his show, I mean, you know, where is ....the depth, lol).

Ok Bill, still love ya, love to break bread with ya, pray for ya, whatever you say man, you’re are the man!

Signature 

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed