4 of 4
Noam Chomsky, yea or nay?
Posted: 26 August 2008 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
FrankChurch - 23 August 2008 01:35 PM

Oh, you know what I meant.  I meant, structures of power, modern foundations of elite power. 

See, you are trying to debate around the facts.  I got you guys figured. 

———————

We are more decent.  At one time we tolerated hanging black people from trees.  I can show you pictures that would fry your hair.  Young kids with big grins on their faces, as black people are being burnt in a fire.  This happened in America!  Land of the free, home of the slave. 

Women now have the vote, blacks can vote, beyond the whole stealing elections thing.

We know very little about human nature.  One day we will find out that morality is hard wired.

I trust the people.

It is interesting that you bring this up. Most people are painfully aware of these inexcusable atrocities. Decent humans are sickened by this. Is it not true that these horrors were organized and perpetrated on a local level largely outside of the government? Was it not the federal government which had to step in to penetrate and prosecute the KKK? Was it not the feds which forced integration of schools?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 26 August 2008 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2006-10-09
Beam_Me_Up - 26 August 2008 11:38 AM

It is interesting that you bring this up. Most people are painfully aware of these inexcusable atrocities. Decent humans are sickened by this. Is it not true that these horrors were organized and perpetrated on a local level largely outside of the government? Was it not the federal government which had to step in to penetrate and prosecute the KKK? Was it not the feds which forced integration of schools?

Oh come now BMU, you don’t expect him to acknowledge inconvenient little facts like that do you?  That would mean having to admit that his theory people can always be trusted to do the right thing might actually be… (gasp) wrong!

Signature 

I am the very model of a Christian Evangelical
I’ve no need for courtesy when fighting things heretical
I know the bible word for word; you’ll find me pedagogical
I have my faith so I’ve no need for ideas that are logical
Atheists and Pagans fall before my wit satirical
They’ll burn in hell just as they should; their cries will be so lyrical
I’m always right, you’re always wrong, my reasoning’s dogmatical
For I’m the very model of a Christian Evangelical

Posted: 26 August 2008 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

Billy, I am going out on a limb here. I think he is either very young and sheltered, or high.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 26 August 2008 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-09
Beam_Me_Up - 26 August 2008 01:16 PM

Billy, I am going out on a limb here. I think he is either very young and sheltered, or high.

Why not all three?

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
Billy Shears - 26 August 2008 01:18 PM

Why not all three?

Idealism may give one some warm fuzzies and a sense of moral superiority, but reality eventually raises its head and knocks the idealist back to her or his senses. My guess is that he/she has, fortunately, never had to face the harsh reality of someone who values money over human life and is all too willing to use force for those ends. You have probably stared down the wrong end of a .357 far more often than I have. It only takes one time to realize that not all people are boy scouts.

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2008 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-09
Beam_Me_Up - 26 August 2008 02:36 PM

Why not all three?

Idealism may give one some warm fuzzies and a sense of moral superiority, but reality eventually raises its head and knocks the idealist back to her or his senses. My guess is that he/she has, fortunately, never had to face the harsh reality of someone who values money over human life and is all too willing to use force for those ends. You have probably stared down the wrong end of a .357 far more often than I have. It only takes one time to realize that not all people are boy scouts.

I agree with you; FrankChurch has all the hallmarks of someone who has never brushed up against cold, hard reality.

And while I’ve seen lots of nasty stuff as a cop, I can’t say I’ve ever looked down the wrong end of a gun.  If I had, either I or the bad guy would no longer be here.  By the times things have reached the point where a bad guy has a gun out and is pointing it at you, or is about to start pointing it at you, it’s time to shoot, not issue a warning.

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2008 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
Billy Shears - 26 August 2008 03:30 PM
Beam_Me_Up - 26 August 2008 02:36 PM

Why not all three?

I agree with you; FrankChurch has all the hallmarks of someone who has never brushed up against cold, hard reality.

And while I’ve seen lots of nasty stuff as a cop, I can’t say I’ve ever looked down the wrong end of a gun.  If I had, either I or the bad guy would no longer be here.  By the times things have reached the point where a bad guy has a gun out and is pointing it at you, or is about to start pointing it at you, it’s time to shoot, not issue a warning.

“Some men will rob you with a six gun, and some with a fountain pen.”
woody guthrie

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 14 February 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-02-14

noam chomsky is more knowledgable and academically honest than sam harris that’s for sure!

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-07

“noam chomsky is more knowledgable and academically honest than sam harris that’s for sure!”

I couldn’t agree more, anyone who thinks otherwise is most likley academically dishonest (and thus willfully ignorant, or just plain ignorant) like Harris. Harris has clearly fallen into the trap of perspectival truth, he is simply attempting to white wash the crimes of his own tribe, or his pay masters, he is thus an agent of the state, and should be viewed as such, i.e. with suspicion

I can completely understand why Chomsky labelled him insincere, he talks about bringing mankind into the 21st Century by abandoning faith based thinking, but he cannot even rise above his own countries rabid nationalistic ideology of Americanism. It’s a shame really, I really like most of what he has to say.

Peace out.

4 of 4

‹‹ McCain Takes Lead in Polls      Prescient? ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed