Grasping at straws
Posted: 18 May 2009 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

The GOP has come up with their latest reason to oppose gay marriage.  It’s not so much about the sanctity of marriage anymore, or the need for children to have a mother and father…they’ve about given up on the legal angle as they’re not getting support from the courts and more and more states are approving same-sex marriage.
The reason du jour is that it would be a huge burden on small businesses to have to add new spouses to their health insurance packages.

Republicans can reach a broader base by recasting gay marriage as an issue that could dent pocketbooks as small businesses spend more on health care and other benefits, GOP Chairman Michael Steele said Saturday.

Never mind that BushCo never missed a chance to encourage marriage.  But only among straight folk. 
I guess straight spouses don’t cost the small business owner anything to cover them on the company health plan.

These guys are pathetic.  Really.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
Andrew - 18 May 2009 08:25 AM

The reason du jour is that it would be a huge burden on small businesses to have to add new spouses to their health insurance packages.

Bwa-ha-ha. If this is really an issue than why is it that in Texas here you can have a beer with someone, say you’re married - and legally you are (provided you are sporting dissimilar genitalia). No JoP, priest or license required.

You know, I once lived for several years in Memphis, TN. The racist talk I heard on occasion made my hair stand on end - but I had to give those people points for honesty. Similarly, I wouldn’t disagree with anti-gay factions any less if they were honest about saying “I don’t like gay people”, but at least I’d grant them some kind of credit for being up front about it. That’s more palatable to me than watching them trying to come up with lame-ass justification after justification.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 18 May 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Despicable.
Didn’t slave owners use similar “economic” justifications for blatant discrimination?
Normally not a fan of book burning, but I sure wish someone would burn the GOP’s playbook… they can have my bra too.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 18 May 2009 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
isocratic infidel - 18 May 2009 09:01 PM

...they can have my bra too.

All of it, or just the cutout bits?  LOL

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 19 May 2009 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08
mpbrockman - 19 May 2009 03:43 AM
isocratic infidel - 18 May 2009 09:01 PM

...they can have my bra too.

All of it, or just the cutout bits?  LOL

All of it. It’s a bra, not jesus jammies! No sacred areola area to cut out! cheese

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 29 May 2009 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

Republicans can reach a broader base by recasting gay marriage as an issue that could dent pocketbooks as small businesses spend more on health care and other benefits, GOP Chairman Michael Steele said Saturday.

Since Mr. Steele is concerned about the cost incurred by the small business person, he could jump past his hoop of hypocrisy and simply support single payer health insurance since it would eliminate all spousal health insurance costs to all businesses.

He wouldn’t want to do that because it would make his arguments against same sex marriage completely moot.

And if we follow his argument to it’s logical end, he would have to support the dissolution and termination of heterosexual marriages as well.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed